Wolverine fans best click this!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Molini, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Molini

Molini spawn of a glitch TFW2005 Supporter

I have always been the biggest critic and least optimistic concerning any games based on a movie franchise. X-men (and Wolverine games in particular) have been very atrocious, to say the least. So when I heard that Raven software was developing a X-Men Origins: Wolverine game, I cringed at the thought of such a great developer being forced to make another crapfest at the expense of compromising their design integrity.

Then I started reading previews by videogame journalists who felt the same way I did, only to come back from their demo experience completely optimistic for once. Well...been there before so I was still skeptical. Then I came across this site X-Men Origins: Wolverine Official Video Game Site
    and Holy Crap!!!!

Now I won't deny that there may still be potential for a sub par game, however, Raven Software looks like it has really put its foot down with this one and demanded some creative freedom to give the best representation of Wolverine possible.

I broke down after the recent trailers, screen shots and previews and pre-ordered this today. I can't wait to FINALLY decapitate fools and lop off limbs as my favorite superhero of all time for once! (And I no longer have to pretend Ryu Hayubasa is Wolverine in a berserker rage in Ninja Gaiden 2 with his claws!)

Edit: Plus there's a FRIGGIN GIANT SENTINEL AND HE LOOKS SWEET!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  2. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Looks pretty cool. Worth at least a rental to try it out. I'm disappointed there's no blood though. I know kids are going to play the game and all but I'd be much more interested if there was blood splatter and you could sever limbs.

3. Molini

Dude, there is TONS of BLOOD and GUTS in this game...if you own a PS3, X-box 360 or PC. Read into it more. I think they're purposely holding back with the trailers for now, but if you check out some of the images you can see blood. Specifically, the images over at IGN.

Based on what I've read from guys who have played it, its pretty damn brutal and gory. They mentioned ripping guys in half, lopping off limbs, disemboweling and using the environment (like spikes coming out of the ground) to kill enemies.

The best thing I've actually read so far was a description of how Wolverine, when fighting the choppers in the air, pulled the pilot out of his seat and hoisted him up into the rotating blades for some serious decapitation...HOW SICK IS THAT?

4. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Oh. Well then count me in! I guess they just edited it out of the trailer. Cool.

5. David

David . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Reminds me of God OF War and that's not a bad thing

6. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Activision = NO SALE

7. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

didn't raven do Jedi knight 2? and why weren't they on force unleashed? too many questions, but i bet the wolverine game still sucks.

8. Molini

Yes, they did develop JK2. It got much praise. I guess Lucas Arts wanted to tackle Force Unleashed on its own as a publisher and a developer.

Raven has developed both X-men Legends games and Marvel Ultimate Alliance all of which were published by Activision. Did you not purchase any of those Twin Twist? Activision has been involved with publishing some really terrible games, but I think Raven has developed more good games than bad IMO at least.

Granted these were a slightly different genre with respect to the RPG elements in comparisson to the upcoming Wolverine game and like I said, the potential for SUCK is still there, but the only negative I've heard so far was the sub boss fights that can get repetitive for the Lunge/piggy back the big guy/stab stab/ dodge/ repeat till dead aspect.

9. Molini

Update for those who care.

IGN: Wolverine: Game vs. Wishlist

And I quote: "X-Men Origins: Wolverine has blood aplenty. In fact, it's probably the bloodiest game I've seen since Ninja Gaiden II. Not only does Wolverine feature regular vivisections of enemies, but Logan himself can get pretty torn up. Take enough damage, and you'll get a front-row view of Wolvie's anatomy."

10. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Could be interesting. I might give it a whirl.

11. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

It supposed to be the best Wolvie game ever made, but that's not saying much.

Im skeptical, but Ive been wanting a good Wolverne game forever. The previews have been good, but that hardly means anything. I like how it's been in development for over 2 years. Here's to hoping.

12. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    Hope this is cool.

13. Molini

This pretty much sums up exactly how I feel about it.

What I'm hoping for is that they've at least found the perfect game engine that fully captures the feel of being this character, like what web swinging around new york did for Spider Man games (what would be the Wolvie equivalent of that?).

I used to come home from work sometimes and just web swing around New York for an hour or so just to relax in Spider Man 2 the game and the more recent Web of Shadows, so I would hope that a Wolverine equivalent would be something to the effect of, "Oh I can't wait to get home and sever some heads and lop off some limbs as wolverine for a few hours after work today".

That way even if the Movie Story turns out to be very dissatisfying, they could at least take the game engine and make another Wolverine Game later that is unrelated to any movie continuity.

14. Molini

An update on gameplay and Gamestop reservation exclusive content. This is basically something called the Weapon X arena that anyone who pre-ordered from Gamstop gets access to. It's for the most part just a combat based level where you can actually respawn any enemy you've faced in the game already and just non-stop battle.

Remember I asked what the Wolverine equivalent to Web Slinging around New York in the Spider games was? Well...
    YouTube - Wolverine Origins Weapon X Arena

15. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    so i've pre-ordered the wolverine game but as far as i know i dont think i've gotten any code for the Arena or whatever

do they email it? [maybe i accidentally deleted it?] or does the code like physically come with the game?

if they email and i missed it, how do i go abouts getting it again?

16. Molini

When you pick up the game the store gives you a code that is specific to that particular game disk and unlocks this content. This ensures that their store exclusive offer maintains its integrity. However, I'm sure hackers will find some way to unlock this material eventually. So if for some reason you miss it, just keep a watchful eye on the cheat forums. This content looks too sweet to just be an exclusive, I think anyone who buys the game should have the option for it. Just my opinion.

17. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    indeed

having a whole section of the game blocked off to ONLY those who pre-ordered seems kinda odd

maybe those who didnt will have to pay to unlock it via DLC type thing or whatever [which is lame in itself but]

pretty crazy

18. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This game is gory!! Some people are gamefaqs already have it.

19. Molini

But is it good? I knew it would be gory, but how does it fare as an overall game? Guess we'll find out this week. At least the gore is a step in the right direction, I just hope this game doesn't play with clunky controls.

20. One

One Well-Known Member

Interesting, I might rent it when it comes out.