Wizard - Isn't it odd...

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by drippy, Apr 3, 2007.

1. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

that they report on comic news and then sell items whose prices are directly related to that news?

Is an appropriate analogy being what if the Wall Street Journal was a brokerage?

2. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

This is exactly why you NEVER NEVER NEVER trust the prices in Toyfare. Wizard owns several stores where they sell the damn toys.

What better way to sell more of a certain toy than to inflate how "rare" it is.

Total load of crap.

I still love Twisted Toyfar Theatre though, no probs there.

3. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

This was recently brought up when Wizard put a bunch of copies of Cap 25 on eBay and got called out on price gouging. They immediately took down the auctions.

I stopped reading Wizard years ago. The mag doesnt' post any news that isn't already somewhere weeks before. It's a blatant tool for promoting whomever they have feeding them money at the time.

4. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    .... I read it for the funny comments they hid in the contest rules... then they stopped doing that... a part of me died that day....

5. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    I used to read it for the humor, picks, and it's size and format. It's now dangling on "humor". I've never, ever read it for the price guide.

6. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For some strange reason, I never thought of this before. Interesting indeed.

7. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

I actually find the mag quite entertaining and I regularly keep a subscription. My 3 year old loves picking Spider-Man, Superman and Batman out (in that order) while I'm flipping pages.

That being said, I don't use it regularly for the price guide. Just a thought I had today. And I'm sure it's not an original thought. Just a serious independence problem as we in the public accounting field would put it.

8. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Never bothered with the price guide part either. I do love their articles though. Especially the lists. Y'know, like "The Ten Greatest Characters" or "Most Brutal Fight Scenes." Agree or disagree, they usually make a pretty good case.

9. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    who reads toyfare/wizard for the prices?! theyre wack.

10. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I think the Wizard price guide is now 3 pages anyway.

11. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah, they kinda whittled it way down there. I have a subscription, only cause I was about to buy the Batman Begins figure through their site, then noticed if you bought a subscription the figure was free. The figure alone was 20, the subscription with free fig was 28. It's really not that bad of a mag, as I don't use it for news, just like the interviews and stuff.

12. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really don't see the point of them printing a price guide any more anyways. The important older issues don't change much in value on a month-to-month basis and basically anything published after ~1985 is worthless. I pick up the magazine every so often, mostly for the interviews and just to get an idea of what the 'hot comics' are at the moment.

13. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I love TTT, but I just buy the compendiums. Once they stopped doing Big Shots, they had nothing else for me.

And it's definitely one of those industry rags where it pimps for the folks that pay for advertising more than it provides anything of substance to the consumer.

Fortunately, there's plenty of comic news to be found on the internets.

14. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

15. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just read that. Looks like we weren't the only ones who had an issue with this. No wonder I couldn't find a first printing of #25. Wizard apparently had them all.