Wives/girlfriends/non TF people at Botcon?

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Hollywood Hoist, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For those who have had wives/girlfriends or friends not interested in Transformers, how have they enjoyed it? What did they do while you were wandering the dealer room? My wife is trying to decide if she wants to go with me. She's not really into Transformers, but would probably find a few of the activities entertaining. Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Anyone I've known who brought/brings their significant others always looks like they're bored out of their skull.

3. Super_Megatron

Super_Megatron Twitter: @Super_Megatron Administrator

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    This.

4. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Agreed. If I dragged my wife to Botcon I'd be subjected to a quilting convention in retaliation.

5. Elvin Pena

Elvin Pena <b><font color=red>CyberCon is #1!</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    My wife went to all of the Cybercons, one OTFCC, and Botcon 2004. She called it quits after that. She shopped, slept, and/or spent most of her time at the pool while I was geeking. I appreciated her coming along, but I don't blame her for letting me go solo afterward.

6. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    My wife will be at one of her friend's wedding in BFE, New Hampshire. I get to skip out on that and go to awesomeness instead.

Everybody wins. :D 

7. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    If you want to lose your significant other, then bring them. If not, leave them home. It will be better for both parties. They will just slow you down in the dealer room and restrict your activity/hanging out with other fans after hours. And they will get super bored.

But I do know one couple that make it work really well. But then again, CZ's counterpart is awesome!

8. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    If your significant other doesn't enjoy it, don't bring them.

They'll be bored and judge your mentality on why you spent so much money to go to something they found boring.

9. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

My wife isn't really into TFs, either, but she's been to the two other Cons I've been to with me besides this last one. She enjoyed both times, even while she was walking around with me in the dealer room. She even got mad she couldn't attend this past year due to her having to work, and I was off. :p 

10. transformers32

transformers32 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I took my gf with me this year and it was my first and she really thought it was neat and had a good time. Wont be able to take her to this one because of not having enough money for both but she said she would like to go if we had the money.

11. mykticon

mykticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    my wife is actually looking forward to the trip! Guess I'm in the minority, but at least I can have my cake and eat it too! (no pun intended)

12. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Doublequoting for emphasis.

13. devstar37

devstar37 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    My wife LOVES the con..... well making fun of all the fanboys and ofcourse seeing me turn into one there. Though she does really enjoy seeing all the new cities.

14. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    She pretty much said we are going this year, she doesn't like that I spend tons of cash on em but shes here to help out with my collection and lend me another set of arms @ botcon :D 

15. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    Even if she did come along but she wont as she has school and then going to spain, she would not go inot the geek show. She likes the movie and all but to run around in a dealer room...uhm NOPE, aint going to happen. She would just take a bunch of the money and go shopping insteed.

16. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    TAKE IT BACK!!! (Sorry the wife read that Rob!)

My wife is quiet in nature so she does not speak up but she enjoys the parts party and the dealer room. She loved the dinner night and some of the other events held by FP. I admit she does not like standing in line for autographs but, who does? When she does get tired of it she usuall hangs out at the pool or with some of the other members wifes.

17. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hahahaha, I was wondering if she'd read it :) 

I always feel sorry for her, she seems to have an awesome temperament putting up with our loud asses in the room when she's trying to sleep.

18. gen1fan

gen1fan G1 PRIME FROM VA TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My wife went to Botcon 07, she went cause she wants to spend time with me. BUt she also had our 2 nephews to take care of well I was running my dealers booth. She wanted to go this year but once we found out it was in CA. She said I'm going to pass on that one. So it all up to what they make out of it. So go just to get away from work and what not.

19. VAwitch

VAwitch G1 GeekGirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As the Fan part of a couple who has gone to Cons w/ a SO

who wasn't overly interested...

IT. DOESN'T. WORK.

Seriously - I am majorly into SF - took ex to DragonCon - he was bored, even though he said he had fun (body language & your bar tab says a lot).

vice versa - GenCon: I, who doesn't play much D&D found GenCon rather boring outside of the dealer row - which only has so much interest when you have only so much $$ to spend.

As well as at games-Workshop Games Day. Unless I was playing my Brets, I was utterly bored, cuz I don't do model conversions/custom work.

BotCon - unless the female half of the equation supports yer collecting habit (or does some collecting herself), it's a bad idea.

And like an earlier poster said - if she goes & doesn't complain much/make YOU utterly miserable too - you open yourself to going to some god-awful/boring thing she goes to, to be fair.

20. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Now remember, just because they come with you, doesn't mean they have to spend their time with you. I mean, you could do convention things, and they could explore the city, and then you could meet up for dinner or what have you.

And I imagine there'd be quite a bit to explore in that area of California.

But yeah, I can imagine making them wait in line for autographs while you discuss the continuity errors in Dinobot Island with the dude in front of you, or hold your stuff while you trudge through the dealer room will bore them out of their skulls.