without fansproject, would we have ever gotten a proper ultramagnus?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by roy_flagg00, Dec 7, 2010.

1. roy_flagg00

roy_flagg00 I want more life....

me, I don' think so. it seems to me like the paradigim has shifted for hasbro. they are looking to make toys smaller and more simple. Gone are the days of omega supreme, metroplex, trypticon, etc. That is their right as a company, but they are leaving a big hole in the market, and third party companies like fansproject and perfect effect are really stepping their game up. i think pretty soon I am going to be spending more money on third party and/or japanese stuff than I am official hasbro. I makes me sad though. I would love to see new city formers or gestalts, but I don't think hasbro will ever make figures like that again.
    :( 

2. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

They do, like with ROTF Supreme Devastator and Animated Supreme Roll Out Command Prime.

The problem is, look how shit they turned out.

In the past few years, from a collector's point of view, smaller is better. We have gotten some amazing scout figures in the past couple of years and the deluxe class goes from strength to strength. Bigger figures don't sell well because they are too expensive and are generally poor figures. Leader class is about as big as I would go.

We definitely need better combiners though. PCCs and Energon repaints are not good enough.

I can say with absolute certainty that Fansproject and other 3rd party manufacturers will continue to get a huge chunk of my money each year, but they are simply not prolific enough to outdo Hasbro, who still make amazing quality Transformers.

IMO, the ratio is about right.

3. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    That's a very what if question though. Its like asking without Newton, would people discover Gravity? I think someone eventually will always take up the mantle.

4. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Hasbro seem to have boxed themselves in with the whole deluxe, voyager, leader paradigm.

I think it could still happen, but they'd probably view it as a risk for one reason or another.

I'm waiting to see how they'll handle DOTM Prime's trailer. That should give some indication as to what the possibilities are for Magnus.

5. Sunstorm9119

Sunstorm9119 RC 1136

Ebay:
    To answer your question....NO. I doubt Hasbo believes they will make enough $$ selling larger and more complex toys anymore. It seems like we're just gonna have to accept getting the base figures from Hasbro, and going to Fansproject and others to make them the 'bots we all know and love. Hasbro's main market is STILL children, and no matter how much $$ we spend on them, it's not gonna change any time soon.....

6. Terrorcon Blot

Terrorcon Blot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    With Fansproject, we still haven't got a proper Ultra Magnus. Just a pile of ugly on wheels.

7. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    It's kinda hard to say because none of us know how the guys at Hasbro think and plan.

I mean if I had to vaguely guess, we probably would have gotten (or even will get) a G1 Magnus similar to the Titanium version, where the trailer and cab transform as one big TF instead of armor.

8. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd be very not surprised if Hasbro made an ultra class APC Ultra Magnus a la Animated.

9. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Id be very Not impressed if they did

10. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    we did, titanium, lol. i doubt it personally, seems like a lot of their characters are going by the wayside

11. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nope, still waiting on a proper MP Magnus as well.

12. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

That's your opinion. Personally I think it looks G1-esque and the best we can possibly hope for. Unless you are a custom builder who can make your own UM armor, FP is the best there is.

13. roy_flagg00

BTW, I don't fault the designers. I think they have a backlog of awesome $hit they would love to make. I think the problem is the bean counters.

14. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

This. I have no doubt the guys creating the tfs would love to do a new UM in a large size to do him justice but they have to make toys that make money so it could still happen, not likely, but it could

15. Cybermnky

Cybermnky Well-Known Member

Ultra Magnus specifically? I don;t know. I honestly don't think so though. And even with Fansproject, what's to stop them from doing one. If they made a decent Ultra Magnus I would buy it in a heartbeat. Same with Springer. Or Bruticus...

As for other large scale characters like Trypticon, Metroplex etc... Probably not. Even Leader class will only be used for iconic characters because that's all that sells well. Large scale figures are expensive to produce and have one of the lowest sale rates. This was probably one of the factors that led to Generations being deluxe size only - its a size class that allows for engineering possibilities and sells a crapload.

16. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    guess 6" Titanium G1 UM wasn't proper enough.

17. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    I'd be happy with this, though I'd expect it to be voyager rather than ultra. Much rather it be a car carrier though, as they would hopefully make scouts fit on it.

18. roy_flagg00

i still can't understand why they don't make limited editions and sell them online for obscene prices. If Hasbro made a limited edition ultra magnus kit for classics UM (or masterpiece:) ), sold it for $200.00 and limited it to fifty pieces, I guarantee that would be 10,000 right there, pre-ordered and sold out. Why not do that?
    hell, they could make a limited edition deluxe (even scout class) version of classics cosmos (you know which one i am talking about) and sell it for 100. They would disappear faster than the Rock from the credit list of "transformers: prime".

19. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why are people mourning large scale figures? Isn't ROTF Leader Prime every bit as large as G1 Metroplex or Omega Supreme and 800 times as complex?

20. roy_flagg00

but what if you don't like movie-style figures?:throw 
    I would step right up to the plate wish cash for a limited edition sky-lynx.
    oh, the things they could do with that figure with todays toy-making technology...:D ream: