With original G1, has Encore and other re-releases effected prices?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by LifePincher, Dec 1, 2011.

1. LifePincher

LifePincher BBTS is the SOURCE!

..... If at all?
    Take for example an original Omega Supreme loose/complete/functional and in great shape, compared to a new boxed Encore version. Any change?
    BBTS- $140.
    TFSource- $160.

How has Encore effected the other original versions of G1?

2. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    It varies, remember a few years ago an original Ratbat with ears intact was fetching around $100 on eBay, not any more. I also remember seeing complete unbroken G1 hooks for around $15-20, now they are twice that+.

Some figures still fetch good money in good condition. I think there will always be those that will spend the money for vintage figures, because they don't want reissues.

3. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd think that Hook will come down soon since it has been officially reissued now.

Reissues end up effecting original prices most of the time. A good chunk of the people that wanted it will be satisfied with the reissue. So the pool of people interested in the original release will be smaller. Smaller group of people wanting something means less demand, equels lower prices generally.

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It's kind of an erratic thing, the two interact with eachother. Re-issues allow people who never had a chance at a certain figure to own it, and are often much more affordable than the original, but there's always a crowd out there who'd rather have the genuine thing than a reproduction, especially given the differences that sometimes occur between the two. The reissues also inspire some people to get the originals, though, so demand (and thus price) can fluctuate.

5. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    In some cases I have never seen boxed G1 so cheap as I do now. I have seen a couple of MIB G1 Ramjets sell for £30 ($50 roughly) and a sealed one for just double that. Back in 1999 my loose one was more expensive from Digital Toys!

Now is the best time to start and complete a US G1 collection IMO.

All the best
    Maz

6. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    Yes it does. Good boxed ones dont loose that much in value as loose specimens though. Because good boxes and inserts are sometimes a pain to find.

7. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

From what I've seen, the secondary market value of reissues has gone up, whereas the originals has gone down. If I had to guess, I would say that as we are now around 25 years on from the release of the first G1 figures, it's getting harder and harder to find them complete and in good condition. The reissues are in demand due to the fact that they are fresh and clean and with tight joints.
    Yes, there will always be the market for the genuine article, but I would say that that is more to do with the boxed market now.

In all of this, we should also consider the impact KOs have had on the market. Trying to buy genuine, original G1 figures is a minefield now as there are so many people out there trying to pull a fast one on you, or simply they do not know that what they own is a fake.

Overall, I'd say that whilst there is still a market for everything, it has all levelled out much more these days.

8. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    There's also been a wide range of almost indistinguishable G1 knockoffs flooding the market, those have probably put the same kind of downward pressure on price as the reissues.

9. maz25

maz25 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    ^This. Prices have never been lower for vintage MIB pieces. Spot on Maz, and keep up the excellent work with the source articles.

10. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's definitely affected most of the Autobot cars. Late 1990s figures like Bluestreak would go for crazy money, the reissues have definitely lowered the price.

11. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:

GNAW being a huge exception. The KO as a known KO goes for as much as the original if not more. I really don't get it because, as someone trying to complete his childhood collection, it was one of the lamest figures at the time and not something you went around bragging about. I remember them being the shelfwarmers of the day (probably why I ended up with one).

12. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    First of all, I would love a G1 Shockwave, reissue or not, but I just think it would be really cool to own a piece of TF history. Hence me looking for just about any complete, unbroken G1 figure for a good price. Still looking...

13. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There are some, like me, that actually prefer the reissues to vintage as well. So that may be effecting lower prices on vintage also.

It may seem weird but getting a good price, pristine packaging and a brand-new figure with all the accessories, instruction booklet, etc. in minty condition carry more personal appeal to me then buying vintage that may have problems from being around all these years.

Yes you can be a misb vintage collector, but I highly doubt it's feasible for the average collector's wallet. And yet the average collectors still want vintage toys but don't want to pay vintage secondary market prices. So I can see how the reissues sell while the vintage sits there on ebay, waiting for a buyer, and their price eventually has to get lowered.

14. LifePincher

LifePincher BBTS is the SOURCE!

I remember when I got my Gnaw :)  I was 14 and it was a Saturday. I heard banging on my front door. It was my friend and he was frantic! He said that there are tons of Transformers at a garage sale!

I booked on over there on my bike and saw mainly crappy Go-Bots and 1 lonely Gnaw. Paid $.50 for him missing his gun. I finally completed him last year, as I found the gun on these forums for $8. :cool: 

15. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    From my point of view,Vintages still has their own value though Encore has come into the picture

16. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    I think that has something to do with a "worse the figure was then, harder it is to find now" trend.

20 years from now Energon Ironhide will be worth a pile of money, maybe.

17. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    It has effected loose prices, but boxed/sealed prices aren't getting any cheaper.

18. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hope you're in your 30s because if your 15 or 16 I hate you (in a loving spiteful way).

19. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I knew I shoulda have bought all those mudflaps!

20. mrclean08

mrclean08 G1 FOR LIFE

I think one factor that affects the pricing of vintage G1 is because of the many reissues and even KO's on the market. Especially with KO's, it scares people from buying vintage G1 because if they are not entirely sure how to spot the differences, they don't want to take the risks in buying.

I especially get worried about trying to track down a missing G1 figure especially after a KO of it has been released. That ends up with me holding out or delaying my purchase.