With Classics, Alts, MPs, Movie, etc. Should the Homages End?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Pravus Prime, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    As I recall, since the BW era, G1 fans have been crying for redone G1 figures using modern technologies. I know I was among them.

When the Beast Saga's came to a close, and we returned to Vehicular TF's, people again clamored for G1 characters with modern articulations and transformations. During the Unicron Saga, it was almost undoubtable that we'd get several homage figures with each wave.

Then came Alts and fans were deleriously happy.

Then came Masterpiece Figures, and fans passed out from excitement at their "perfect" figure.

Now with Classics coming soon, G1 fans seems to have gotten their wish. (Not that they'll be happy with that.)

But the one aspect that seems to resound within me, we're getting classics, alternators, movie figures, and so forth. Why should we keep being chained to G1?

I'm tired of seeing Red Truck Optimus, Unicron, and several of the elements that have plagued the fandom for years as a spectre that won't go away. It seems like we're in some perverted Groundhog Day scenario, where we keep reliving the same story over and over again. I'm sick of it.

One of the reasons lately why I've been enjoying BW stories, like the comics was because it wasn't the same old thing.

So, I'm wondering. Let's say that after the Movie, the new series throws the standard fanfare conventions out and changes gears. They do what needs to be done to preserve their copyrights (Perhaps a parallel line extension of the Classics series), but takes things in a fresh new direction. And, throughout the line, we don't get a single homage character or repaint.

Let's say, for example, that the new series was more like BW:Neo in it's format. You have an Autobot ship, and it's crew as the main focus of the series, as they go about in space, either on a quest, an exploration, or as part of a war. The Captain is NOT AN OPTIMUS OR A PRIME. You have a full and colorful crew, all original characters but not just with the overly tired archetypes. (Though, I'll admit, we'd need a few for a good series, just not the cardboard cutouts we seem to be getting lately.) The series changed locales, and was open to lots of different episodes, and the villains (maybe not even the Decepticons) were NOT LED BY MEGATRON OR GALVATRON. And didn't have new takes on old characters either.

The series preserves some Transformer history, has an occasional cameo by the higherups, but is really set out as a stand alone series.

Personally, that's a series I'd like to see. Not some "alternate" view of the battle between Optimus and Megatron, ending with the Cataclysmic impact of Unicrons presence, which we've seen something like 9 times now.

Of course, that'll never happen, so we can only wait for the 10th meeting with the same storyline that's kept storytelling in Neutral for far too long, and yet more figures of a red sports car with yellow flames on it, a guy who shoots little minions out of his chest, some bad guy with a gun on his forearm, and some good guy with the front end of a mack truck for a chest, which it seems all the fandom really wants anymore.

2. butz

butz slippery when wet

I'd love to see something new, with new characters, but I really doubt we'll ever get it. Every line from here till eternity will likely contain an Optimus Prime, which will likely tf into some kind of truck, which will likely be red. Ick.
    If they're going to keep doing homages, then thats fine- just pick some new characters (not stuff they've already homaged half a dozen times). Get one good homage for that figure out there (a Classics version would be ideal) and then move on, for the love of god.

3. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm G1 all the way, but I think we can do without the homages for awhile. TFs need a breath of fresh air. It's been done, move on to something else. I do have to a red & blue Optimus though........

4. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I would love a new transformers, but not too new to not be like the transformers (does that make sense?)

5. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'm all for a new type of series as long as the TF's crashed on earth 4 million years ago and are woken by some form of, let's say, volcanic eruption. The autobots are lead by a semi-truck that is red/blue named Optimus Prime. The decepticons are led by Megatron, who is constantly at odds with his lieutenant Starscream. Throw in a wacky cast of sidekicks, and hell why not have some humans too. Maybe even an animated movie where you kill off everyone that you have come to love in the cartoon and introduce new leaders to the autobot/decepticon causes. Just for fun you could have this big evil planet-eater as a new big-bad for them to fight. I dunno, just speculating here.

I don't adapt to change very well :( 

6. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Im just enjoying the variety. How some are homages as others are new.
    I always love anything G1, but Im also looking foward to fresh characters to keep the ball rolling and the line from getting stale.
    G1 homages does'nt seem as potent though when they come out every line. Would'nt mind a G1 break sometime, so when they bring them back we'll be waiting with anticipation.
    From having MP Prime and soon Classics Prime, another G1 homage won't excite me very much since Im getting used to it.
    Not complaining though, Im very happy as is with all these G1 recreations.
    Just don't want to burn out from getting too much of the same.

I don't like change much, but it's the best way for them to experiment around and re-invent or revolutionize any pre-existing molds or characters

7. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The homages must continue until they do one for G1 Gears! ...then they can chill for awhile.

8. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    I wouldn't mind a break from G1 homages, especially with the Classics line coming out. Hell, they could do something like Beast Wars again and I'd be fine with it (just not BW Redeux).

However, the description you've mentioned smacks of Star Trek, which has me worried. Especially because it reminds me horribly of Star Trek: Voyager. I would much rather prefer a War Within-style storyline to fill in some of the gaps. It could take place before the 4 million year nap or during the 300 years between G1 and BW. Either of those would be great!

9. dasaffe

dasaffe Morrissey Fan

I haven't seen any of the Galaxy Force / Cybertron cartoon, maybe its horrible. But aside from 6 molds (Optimus Prime, Megatron, Starscream, Thundercracker, Unicron and Soundwave) none of the new toys are G1 homages at all. And I would argue that Unicron and Megatron, while simlar characters, aren't much like their G1 versions.

It seems like that's what you're looking for. And it is pretty awesome. I've been digging this line quite a bit, even tempted by some of the bigger toys.

I think it's important that Hasbro sticks with Optimus (monkey or truck, whatevs) and Megatron and Autobots and Decepticons. I think changing the logos and names of the factions was a mistake of G2 and Beast Wars.

I also think it's cool when they throw us a figure like Armada Unicron, Energon Arcee or Cybertron Primus. I think there's going to be lots of great toys that can be built on similar platforms in the future. I for one am still looking for an Alternator Springer or some mainline love for the guy.

10. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I don't mind the homages, but then again I grew up with G1 so I'm happy to see them. I'm also one that doesn;t feel 'chained' to it as you put it, and I really enjoyed Beast wars and I'd love to see something new.

However, to keep the trademarks for the names, I have a feeling they will ALWYS use Optimus Prime, Megatron, Starscream, Prowl etc. whenever they redeux the line...and not that it really matters in the long run, but you've seen the fan backlash in regards to the design choices for the upcomming movie...hardcore fans will throw a shitfit if Optimus Prime isn;t a red and blue Truck, if Starscream isn't a jet, blah blah blah.

Like I said, personally I'm fine with it and would love to see something fresh...though who knows if it would ever happen.

11. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

I wouldn't mind if after the movie line they did something new with the alt modes. Obviously there will still be a prime and megatron but seeing prime as something other than a truck would be nice.

12. PrimeConvoy

PrimeConvoy ShickaBAM!

The reason why we see this chain to G1 is because we are that chain. We the older fan or we the G1 fans do make up a percent of Hasbro’s profits. We recognize these characters and remember them, which makes us buy them. The reason we see a chain from Armada to Cybertron is because the kids today are the chain, they link characters from one series to the next, that’s what draws them back. A cooler Optimus Prime a more sinister Megatron. Kids don’t follow plot and character development like we do, that’s why there are so many filler episodes. This is a new generation, the new generation knows some or nothing about G1, but the few of us who are still around know and we still buy cause we love Transformer. In 10 to 20 years time some of this new generation will be doing the same thing we are today.

I’m personally happy either way, as long as their around I’m fine with how everything is going.

13. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    Outside of the main line we do have a lot of out right remakes, modern made interpretations of G1 characters. I don't really see many homages in the main line, especially Cybertron. Other than the names most are completely different than the originals. I like seeing new characters and alter modes. The main line should have as few homages as possible and a secondary line like Classics should stay to fill the need for us fans that still want them. As it is now we have too many lines, two would be fine but it looks like we have about 5 plus. Do we really need five or six remakes of a G1 characters? I love the idea of WWI, Classics Voyager, and Classics two pack Prime's but that should be enough. Make them all in scale and move on to another character, how about a G1 Ironhide for once. I care more about G1 than any other continuity but there are other characters that deserve to be remade, let's make them and rebuild the original armies that so many of us wish we could have had all those years ago. Let's have more figures in the main line like Vector Prime and Crumplezone and to some existent Cybertron Megatron that are different and interesting, or dramatic re-imaginations of classic characters that can stand on their own without any connection other than a name. Oh, and fewer carryover characters like Hotshot.

14. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

thank you, and like someone else also said, galaxy force was a great way to show that you can have a lot of original characters and still have a good show.

15. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I would assume every line from here out will have an Optimus and a Megatron, though I wouldn't mind the more Japanese approach of differing leaders with varying names (Gigatron, Magmatron, etc..). I could be wrong, but I think the level of homage will tone down significantly with the movie and related toylines. There would be "the names" but homages would probably be more on a level of RiD Prowl, as opposed to Energon Downshift/Wheeljack. I think "classics" is part of a 'get it out of the system' blowout for fans, because almost everything toy-wise will be concentrating on the movie for a while, and the old school will be relegated to whatever sublines that survive the movie blitz.

16. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I think some of you missed the point.

In my original post, and part of my point, was, let's assume that TF: Classics continues as a line, giving you all your homage figures, keeps the trademarked names alive and the products on the shelf. AT THE SAME TIME

That way, all you people who hate change (yet embraced the Beast Wars) and the trademark and marketing people will be appeased, but we have this SECOND line to explore the TF universe with without being chained to the old formats.

17. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

The problem as I see it is that we haven't really gotten updated G1 toys yet. That is of course not including MP Convoy. ALTs started out being pretty close to G1, but went way off track. Classics... are starting to seem pretty lame to me. At first I loved them... now, not so much. Main line homage's just plain suck... it's the worst of both worlds. Not only do we get denighed a new creative interesting character... but we are delighted with another carbon copy G1- something'a'like.

I could live with the classics line if it were a main line with a cartoon that was a direct continuation from G1.... but as filler, they may as well be considered your typical homage from any other line we've seen over the last 4 years.

G1 should just be used in a limited number of areas.

1. Masterpiece (G1 show accurate)
    2. Re-issues
    3. Movie (seeing as it is losely based off G1)

Besides those three, G1 should be off limits.

18. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Something new? Sure. Just leave the factions alone, and have the good guys being lead by someone called Optimus PRIME and let the bad guy leader be Megatron. Then go ahead, give them new troops.

19. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    NO.

20. robertj1138

robertj1138 MiniconCommander

bad homages should never be tolerated, good homages we could always use more of. masterpiece convoy was awesome, some of the bwx stuff appears to be awesome, and the classics line looks like it is going to be well done. the problem is that everyone wants an homage to their character and after they get what they want, then they can end. with 20 years worth of fan's all wanting an homage to their favorite character, this can and probably will go on forever. i will say that i would love to see tribute paid to ultra magnus outside of RID. ( It was a good series, but it was tiring the way they made him like an autobot version of starscream almost.) That being said, I would love to see some of the victory and masterforce and headmaster toys reissued. And, since alot of them weren't released in the US in very high quantity, it would be a chance to give the rest of the G1 line a rest. Victory Leo wants to be issued over here.