With 3rd Party.... This hobby is really starting to add up$!

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Crimson87, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Crimson87

Crimson87 Senior Member

So when I started collecting classics. My intention was to collect anything that was G1 and modernized to as an update of articulation and a representation of an original G1 Character. Effectively the stuff that came out in the 1984-1989 Catalog scans.

Now all the third party stuff is coming out right at the same time... the Holiday season push. I have noticed that the Preorder stack usually paid ahead of time by every Online Company and not until the item arrived(BBTS god thank them...) has added up to substantial amounts. I think I'm stuck with 600$ to Robot Kingdom and $400 to BBTS and 160 to TFSource. TFCon was both a blessing and a curse this year.

And then I see a Rollbar in the run coming up.... please 3rd Party makers slow down just a bit and spread it out over the year. My wallet is begging you!

And I guess this poses a question for you all. Are you in just as much a conundrum as me over what you buy? And do you feel a bit torn about having to choose?

2. philipjreed

philipjreed Well-Known Member

I think we're all running into the same problem: more cool stuff than free dollars!

What sucks for me is when I see a toy that I only kinda want at the time. And then, later, something happens to make me decide I want it. (Or, like the Junkion mold, decide I want several.)

I figure all that I can do is try and grab what I think looks cool . . . and then be ready to spend more on eBay later when my brain finally decides it just has to have something (iGear Teletran 1!) that I passed on earlier.

3. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's a tricky thing to be sure. There's lots of good stuff coming out but it's all expensive. (And ignore the fact I'm going after Hot Toys Avengers.) I'm skipping skipping Superion because as much as I love it and want it I can't justify another $500-600 combiner. I love that new WFC weapon that just showed up, but I'm not biting at that price. Same with the Throttlebot. I want it, but I can't budget it in. Sucks, but there's only so much money ya know?

That was a nice thing about the pre-third party days. Has/Tak at least had the option to coordinate releases and stagger things so there wasn't $1000 of stuff all coming out in the same month. Plus most of their releases are way cheaper.

4. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Two things that have been helping me:

1. Lack of official product I'm interested in
    2. Selling older stuff to get the new stuff

5. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    2 hints ^^;

1. Be more selective
    2. Get bigger wallets

6. Astronut

Astronut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't have many expenditures outside of food, rent, clothes etc (no kids, no wife, no loans, no mortgage), so I haven't been panicking yet. But I have tried getting the best deals, just to save a little bit, since there's so much coming out. It's really hard finding good deals from Norway though, with shipping, tax laws, country exclusives (tru.com and the like) and so on. On the other hand, being in a country where retail deluxes are $30+ really makes it easier to go for 3rd party products and their prices :D 
    Luckily I have absolutely no interest in what hastak is pouring out these days, other than masterpieces.
    I'm also strongly considering getting rid of my Star Wars and MotUC stuff. Maybe even my TF classics.

7. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    Same as dat. So far this year, I think I've bought maybe 25 transformers. 2 of them were Prime deluxes, 10 or so were Prime Cyberverse, DOTM Deluxe Soundwave, RTS Prime, and all the rest have been 3rd party, whilst I've offloaded about 30 or so to soften the blow.

8. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    My collection was a cheap hobby until i found this forum. Before than i had no idea about fansproject or some of the others

And now there are more 3p companies and it really stresses the budget
    So every so ofte. I do like orio and have a purge sale although i cant seem to get rid of anything in it

9. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    I dunno. I've hardly been buying anything other than the odd classic styled toy here and there for years, now. Since the movies and Animated, I guess. I think I only have a couple of movie toys, no Animated, none of the Prime stuff... the aesthetics are pretty far away from what I like anymore. It also helps me justify the occasional 3rd party price.

10. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I been feeling the same way lately. I have second guessed some of the figures 3rd party have been buying.
    Do I need both Hercules and Giant?
    Do I need really Steelcore?
    I need to be more selective, I know I will never stop buying 3rd party stuff but the market is pretty flooded.

Even official released like Shattered Glass G1 Soundwave and Blaster, Reissue Sixshot and Henkei Ultra Magnus. Things I already have in some fashion but the collector in me feels the need to buy them all.

Time to take a break and chill. I need to focus on competing my G1 Collection and grabbing only 3rd party stuff I really want Like Superion hopefully a Galvatron somewhere down the line.
    It’s great that there so many options for collectors today but the “gotta chatch’em all” mentality have got to stop for me.

11. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Eventually the 3rd party bubble will burst. I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet. People are being forced to choose between different cool things coming out from 3rd parties, not to mention the Hasbro releases. These small companies can go under quick if something expensive doesn't sell. Eventually retailers will stop ordering the less enticing toys like Rollbar.

12. philipjreed

I think you're right. I keep waiting to see a third party manufacturer try using Kickstarter to launch a new toy.

13. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

Prime deluxe Wheeljack, doesn't seem too bad, it has a Classics feel to me.

But yeah, if you stay away from retail, you can spend all the money you want on 3rd Party.

As for my strategy:

-If it's a retail figure that I need and part of a set (ie seekers), I buy ONLY 1 at regular price.
    -If it's a retail figure that I want badly, I wait for a sale that's at least 25% off
    -If it's a retail figure that I want because it's cool, I wait for a sale that's at least 30% off
    -If it's a retail figure that only "ok", I'll wait for a 50% off sale, or $10 deluxe sales.
    -If all else fails, TFCon...someone's bound to have it loose and in mint condition for more than 50% off retail.

I don't buy a lot of 3rd Party, I think at most I have 15 figures, and accessories kits combined.

If you can't save money on 3rd Party, cut corners on the retail figures. Stop paying scalper prices or pre-ordering.

Or you can be those who sacrifice your food budget, and live off Mac N Cheese.

14. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I feel the same way as most of you. Lack of anything official I want frees up some cash for 3rd party toys, but only to an extent. I have never been a completist, so I don't want them all, just the ones that look cool (which happens to be most of them, :lol ). I have a long list of cool toys I'll probably never own since they're so expensive and you know what? I'm fine with that.

15. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

thinking out loud and off the top of my head, i still need to pay for...

mp soundwave
    mp sideswipe
    mp red alert
    mp thundercracker
    mp optimus
    all tfc uranos
    warbot assaulter aka broadside
    hexatron aka sixshot
    igear brawn and cosmos
    igear gears...
    mc black lion voltron

yikes... :D 

16. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This year's been pretty ridiculous with Third Party announcements, and it feels like a new company comes out of the wood work literally every other day. On top of that, my favorite companies are releasing one and two hundred dollar toys on a regular basis, and it's really starting to add up. I actually looked forward to this summer thinking it'd be fairly light, but then ending up spending more than average months with things like Giant, Steelcore, etc. etc.

Like Orio said, it helps that there's not much coming from Hasbro lately that I personally want, but at the same time it feels like these companies are really going to the extreme with new releases. Every month now, there's about $400 to spend on new third party toys if you keep up with them all.

This is the first time since I've started collecting to where I'm really going to have to take a look at where I'm spending and how I'm spending. It's not as much the dent in the wallet as it is not even being able to justify to myself spending this kind of money regularly. In retrospect, I'm looking at things I could've bought like Masterforce/Victory G1 toys, and I just shake my head.

17. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    The boom in third parties and how they are all making cool bots has been a real strain lately. Add to this rumours of the MP line blowing up and a full release of G1 via Encore AND half the Priem figures being Japanese exclusives and you get a wallet on life support.

I already had to pass on Super-Ion and the Throttlebot which I both like. I am hoping to return to them when the entire set is out.

The real surprise for me is that the news of MPs and Encore has made me remove funds from 3P stuff. (Way to go Takara, beat the 3P by releasing high end collectables of your own) As things stand here is my Pre Order and paid for list from now until the end of the year.

MT Giant
    FP Insecticon Holiday Gift Set
    iGear Hench
    iGear UFO
    MMC HoS Seeker THREE PACK (only offered at Captured Prey :)  )
    MP-12 Sideswipe
    MP-13 Soundwave
    MP-14 Redalert
    AM Unicron

Things that will be pre ordered before the end of the year.

FP Assaulter
    FP Wildrider
    FP Breakdown
    MP Thundercracker
    MP Optimus Prime
    MMC Hexatron

There is a definate boom happening right now and although our collections win, our wallets lose.

Bottom line. Time to sell off some of the collection to make room for a more refind G1 centric (MP, Classics/3P, Encore/G1). I won't complain because a little over a year ago I had a handfull of official and 3P products to purchase and that makes for a boring hobby.

18. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    good thing I don't collect MP line.

I am limiting my 3rd party releases more and more now. But not based on character, and only based on exceptional design. For example:

Anything FP comes up with, or Maketoys gets usually from me an auto go.

I am actually more limited by space instead of cost. Cost is not as big an issue as the amount of space I actually have to display. I am thinking all movie toys are gonna have to jet out of here.

19. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Kickstarters are Twintwist and Topspin right? If so we do have a company introducing themselves with those guys.

[​IMG]

20. philipjreed

Jumpstarters, but cool. And I'm looking forward to more info on those two designs.