Wireless Network, need some advice

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Dark Magnus, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

Ebay:
    So I just got a wireless router and want to hook up my Xbox 360 with a wireless receiver. Now I know about the official $100 one that microsoft makes, but I've been told there are ones just as good for your 360 made by other companies and cheaper.

What I want to know is what do you guys use and reccomend for your wireless networks.

Thanks in advance.

2. BMGFX

BMGFX Awesome Spooner Veteran

I have a wireless adapter in my computer so I plug in the 360 via ethernet to the computer and I bridge the wireless connection and the ethernet connection.

3. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i don't trust wireless connections for gaming.

4. skywarp

skywarp The extra Autobot

The band width limitations for wireless is not a problem I would want. Just keep in mind the farther you are from the wireless network slower your connection. Even the G and N specs drop down to the speed of a B if you are beyond 25 ft from the wireless network. You millage may vary though.

If it is an option at all I would pick up a small switch 10/100 and wire it that way.

5. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Wireless is the devil! :lol 

The other devices that you may have hear about are all wireless bridges (sometimes called "access point"). There is no true wireless adapter for the 360 other than the one Microsoft makes.

The bridge takes the wireless signal and then transfers it to another device via a CAT 5 (ethernet) cable. You would plug that cable into the port on the back of the 360.

I use this one because it has four ethernet ports so you can use it for multiple devices. However, most new devices are wireless ready out of the box. There are cheaper models than the one I have -but they all have just one ethernet port.

It is more than 25 feet away from the router and I downloaded the Jericho and Virtua Fighter 5 demos in under five minutes.

I hope that helps.

6. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

Ebay:

Oooh Buffalo, the same guys who made the Nintendo USB Wi-fi adapter. I think a friend of mine may have mentioned them way back when he was hooking up his 360 for wirless. I'll have to confirm with him.

Thanks guys!