wireless network help

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Zeta Otaku, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    ok, ok, I'm cheap and if I can't figure this out, I'm just going to grab a wireless router... ANYWAY...

My modem's wireless went to hell. Not really a HUGE issue since my computer is wired into it, but this has cut off my Wii and 360. Now, I have the Nintendo WiFi adaptor, so that handles the wii no problem, but my poor 360...

Now, this had me thinking... I have a wireless card in my computer too (long story), and I was thinking there has to be a way I can set that up into an access point so I can connect my 360 through my computer (as well as the Wii and free up a USB port).

I have no idea how to do this >_< I've searched and the only thing I've managed to do is mess up my computers net access (obviously fixed by undoing what I did).

What I've got is a Linksys Wireless N card in my PC with is an XP machine. IP and all that is handled automatically by the modem. Any help you guys can give would be great. I'd really like to avoid buying anymore hardware. Thanks in advance!

2. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Click on the properties of your wireless connection in the network connections control panel. Click the advanced tab, and check the box that says share the connection (allow other users to connect using this connection or something like that). I'm pretty sure that's how you set up an ad-hoc network. It's been a while since I did it.

I think you have to be using the windows wireless utility vs a 3rd party one, but I'm not sure.

If nothing else, search for "setting up 'ad-hoc' wireless network" and that should net you some better results.

3. GogDog

News Credits:
    Oh, and also, a router is a MUCH better choice security-wise, has most routers have decent firewalls built in vs direct connections to your desktop.

4. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

i'm not sure about the 360, but i know changing the router to channel 1 or 11 makes the wii work a LOT better with it. mine was set to 6 by default and the connection was flaky even though it was only in the next room. as soon as i changed to channel 1 i never had a problem again, working fine since last april.

5. Zeta Otaku

Ebay:
    well, the wireless feature in my modem worked fine up until a month ago... then it would drop the signal every 4 minutes for all devices connecting to it... wasn't a channel issue or anything ;) 

6. GogDog

News Credits:
    Maybe not, but often it is. In apartment complexes stuff like this is very common because new people will move in or buy a new phone that is 2.4 GHz (the same as wireless internet) and cause it to never work right. Changing the channel often can help. Or, it could be you router going batshit. :) 

7. Zeta Otaku

Ebay:
    nah, trust me, it's the modem