Minor/Repaint: WIPs I need help with Buzzsaw, Laserbeak and Ravage

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Lucs, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Here are some photos of some commission work I'm doing. I'm making myself a set too and anyone else that wants one shoot me a PM

Here's my problem though... I tried dying Energon Divebomb all black and the white parts only went to brown. I tried dying them over and over but I never leave them in the pot for more than 3 minutes because I don't want the pieces to warp. What should I do? Has anyone here tried dying these figures?

Buzzsaw is fine with black, brown and bronze. I think they look pretty good together but I'd like Laserbeak to be solid black, silver and red

Anyone know how to get the clear energon bits another clear color?

I threw in the Ravage pics because he's gonna be way better than my first attempt and I put some nifty guns on him too

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The New Ravage colors, I might still add a bit

[​IMG]

Here is the old Ravage with new guns

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. BigdogandHammer

BigdogandHammer The Autobot Brothers

Not bad, the buzz saw look nice in thoose colors as for the help just paint over the brown parts with some nice paint for lazorbeak. I recomend Testors, that should take care of it.

3. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Yeah the painting thing is what I'm trying to avoid by dying the majority of the parts. I already use paint for details but dying is more permanent. And yes Testers make some fine paints, I use them often as well as Citadel and Testers Model Masters series

4. BruticusPrime

BruticusPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Acetone and three times the amount of RIT POWDER you think you'll need. The parts you desired black resulted in brown because of lack of saturation.
    You were using boiling water, correct?

Today after work and you read this. Go to Wally World. Buy a crock pot, one you'll only use to dye. A tea cup saucer. A Large bottle of Acetone (that would be near the nail polish) Clean them out of black and red RIT dye, powder, not liquid.

How I dye. Crock pot always outside. If I am dyeing one piece it is sitting on the upside down teacup saucer on the bottom of the dry crock pot. To get Divebomb to black from his white/greyish/blue and trans green color, I'd open 3 packs of powder black and one red. Red is used as a toner only, it counter-acts the green. Mix these 4 packs together in a seperate cup with hot ass water. Make sure it is all dissolved. Bust open the Acetone. Use one capful per pack of RIT, mix it in.

Add COLD water, to the COLD crock pot with the COLD piece to be dyed. Turn it on low, only LOW. never high and make sure said piece STAYS on the inverted tea cup saucer. This hopefully prevents contact between the very soft plastic of the TF made even softer by hot water and Acetone from warping or melting all together. Once the cold water begins to simmer you chech the Transformer every 10 or so minutes, do not do the rinsing or wiping thing as this leaves fingerprints and stains. When you've arrived at a happy color remove Transformer, run him under cool water for years. HE WILL STILL BE SOFT, AND MAY NOT HAVE HIS STRUCTURAL INTEGRITY BACK FOR SEVERAL DAYS. Wad up a bunch of paper towels to give him support and let him rest in a cool dark place for a week. He can still be gooey for that long from the Acetone. Once he is hardened, rinse him a few more times and your done. Save your dye. Never use vinegar or salt like 'they' say. And you can never buy too much dye. BUT! You DO need red to tone the Black or it looks ashy, dead, stained, and just blah.

5. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    I use Acetone, maybe I need to use more. I put in about a cap of it with about 3 cups water and half a bag of the powder Rit Dye. I dyed a some things (3 scouts) first then tried the divebomb parts, maybe the Acetone burned off. I also keep the pot at a low simmer the whole time, dunk the parts for about 2-3 minutes at a time and then cool them by running them under water

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  6. TornadoQuakeX

TornadoQuakeX Decepti-Creep

Damn, you guys go through a lot of work to paint your figures! :D 

7. rmac-69

rmac-69 TF HUNTER

I can't offer any advise since the only figure I ever tried dyeing I completely F*^%ed up. But I must say, I like the look so far.