Wipeout XL built in CD soundtrack

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Gears, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    One thing I thought was cool about Wipeout XL on PS1 was that if you put the game disc in a cd player it plays the soundtrack. Does anyone know any other games past or present that you could do this with?

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Loaded on PS1, Castlevania PS1 (kinda), Twisted Metal 1 and 2, Warhawk. Pretty much all those first PS1 games and some Saturn games. I still own Panzer Dragoon Saturn for the music.

3. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Yup all PS1 games did it. Track 1 was the game data and the rest the ingame tracks and or music.

I randomly remember getting the Comix Zone soundtrack CD with my Mega Drive game purchase back in the day.

4. Gears

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nope. I just tried some of my other PS1 games and none do it except Wipeout XL.

Edit: OK Mega Man 8 plays 1 track but that's it.

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well not All of them. I mean the initial releases, like the Twisted games, and I know Loaded does because I ripped it. CastleVania Symphony Does, but it's not the game music. They know you are going to try it so they have a cool free music techno track that's not in the game.

LUNAR on Sega CD had the entire soundtrack on the disc, including the ending, so you could hear it the moment you bought the game if you were aware of it.

6. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

I listened to Firestarter (instrumental version) off Wipeout XL for so long i'm amazed I didn't ruin the disc.

7. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remember the first Rayman for the PS1 allowed you to do that. It had a pretty good soundtrack for its day. I'm glad companies wised up and made sure any extra content like that is now something you pay extra for.

8. Gears

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    On an off tangent, I was trying to see if FFVII would play in my CD player, when I noticed disc 1 was missing. I freaked out and just spent way too much time searching my apartment. Finally find the disc stuffed in a random rap cd that I must of used when I was too lazy to find the origianl case. I hate it when that happens.

9. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

N2O (Nitrous Oxide) had this as well; the soundtrack was remixes and edits of Crystal Method.

Symphony of the Night used whatever the native sound compression format was for PS1 games at the time. They're extractable with the proper utilities. If you're motivated enough, I bet you could probably do the same with the PSP version (included with the Dracula X Chronicles).

Square did an extra number on the Final Fantasy PS1 games, so that the soundtracks weren't easily extractable. I'm sure there's a way to do it, but it probably involves a crack or two.

-XCN-

10. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I used to check each game i bought for that.
    even demo CDs from magazines did that- but not all games or demos.
    We used the tracks from Project Overkill for a movie.

My friend's Ultimake MK3 for Saturn had 99 tracks. level music, Shao Kahn saying stuff, etc. the best was track 99.
    Shao Kahn: It's official, you suck!

Wish I had my PC copy of Mechwarrior 2 back- it had an awesome score i coulda ripped- this was before Mp3s- sigh.

EDIT: Ecco the Dolphin for Sega CD had all its music tracks and i liked it so much, bought it on clearance from TRU for $10

11. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

The best value for this is The Lost World (the game) for PS1.

Awful, awful game. Beautiful graphics.

BEAUTIFUL soundtrack by then-unknown composer Michael Giacchino. Put the CD into the CD player, and that's your only reason not to get a refund for that awful game.

I like Giacchino's game music better than Williams' music for the Lost World movie. Giacchino remained relatively unknown until the TV series Alias. My friends looked at me weird when I said, "OOOH! This composer is the Lost World guy!"

12. SlipKnotDrifter

SlipKnotDrifter I love ROTF :P

This old F1 racing game I had, NAMED F1 Racing had a good sound track or some band that I never heard of, but it had some really good instrumental guitar and drums.

13. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    It was mainly the early ones that did it. I kept Street Fighter Alpha in my car stereo all the time back in the day

14. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    heaven forbid you pay $60 for a game on a Blu-Ray game that sucks, and there's a chance they kinda give you the decent soundtrack.

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    .?

16. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

The Incredible Hulk for PS1 did that.

17. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

same with snatcher, you could listen to the whole ending by sticking it in a cd player :lol 

i had a 2 disc street fighter game for ps1 - 'collection' i think it was called, had Alpha 2 dash on it and Super 2, those discs you could put in a cd player too, the soundtrack for Super 2 was freaking awesome.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  18. Salvanis

Salvanis Probably not a true fan.

This is the reason I bought the MechWarrior 2 Battlepack despite not having a computer that could run it at the time. Both the original and Ghost Bear's Legacy have phenomenal music. I also used to listen to my Tobal No. 1 PSX disc a ton since the music is much better than the game. At least it gave me a second reason to have bought it other than the FF VII demo that came with it.

This thread has a list of some Playstation games you can pop in a CD player. I vaguely recall a much more extensive list existing somewhere out there, but I'll be damned if I can remember where.

19. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I loved listening to the soundtracks of SonicCD (PAL version with original soundtrack of course *gg*) and Soulstar (both MegaCD) and Quake 1 & 2 (both PC).

Alone in the Dark 3 had CD-Audio as well.

I still often play Wipeout 2097 just because of the great music, but sometimes I too just listen to the redbook audio.

edit:
    Ah, how could I forget: Descent 2 for PC had ABSOLUTELY great music! And the Mac version of Descent 1 had remixed versions as CD-Audio present (was the same like on the PSX-Version)

20. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Ah, good old redbook audio. The music tracks would be stored on the disc as actual music tracks instead of internal files. A lot of games from the late 90's used it. The Aliens Gold soundtrack is amazing - all ambient John Horner style atmosphere. Just don't fall asleep listening to it.

I think I still have the original Wipeout PC game in my car's CD holder, now that I think of it.