Minor/Repaint: WiP War for Cybertron Dynobots

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by whiskeytango, Dec 17, 2010.

1. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

WiP WfC Dynobots, Sludge update 12/31 1st post

So its basically been forever since I've worked on any TF customs, but they've always stayed close to my heart, so here we go.

I think like a lot of people, I was a little disappointed that the Dynobots didn't make any sort of an appearance in WfC, so I thought I'd try them out. However, I've spent most of my time customizing doing work that involved more sculpting than re-engineering, so I pretty much had to do it as mostly just repaints. Of course this is a bit of an issue since there are only 4 WfC figures, and I sure as hell wasn't going to be using Bumblebee as one of them. Thankfully, Generations came through with Darkmount, whom I feel looks enough like a WfC character to be usable, and HftD came out with Terradive who with a little reworking will make a great Swoop I think.

So heres the run down.

Grimlock - WfC Optimus
    Sludge - WfC Megatron (i feel like the long cannon in vehicle mode is reminiscent of the dinosaurs long neck)
    Swoop - HftD Terradive
    Snarl & Slag - Darkmount and WfC Soundwave

Now I need some help with 3 things:

A) Should Swoop be Red or Blue

B) Should Slag and Snarl be Darkmount and Soundwave, respectively, or vice versa? I'm leaning towards Slag/Darkmount and Snarl/Soundwave, but i'm not 100% on it.

C) Should I scratch built all their weapons to be G1-ish like i did for Grimlock, or should I just modify some of the weapons that came with the base figures?

Obviously the main reworking that needs to be done is on the heads. Since I'm really bad at pleasure delaying, I started with my favorite, Grimlock. For his head, I just sliced off about half of his ridiculously long aerials, ground the face down to nothing, and remade it into Grimlocks visage with stryene and fixit sculpt. You can't see it terribly well in the pictures, but he does have the teeth on his mouthplate, cause thats one of my favorite modern additions to him. His sword is made from styrene, and his gun is made from the nozzles of MP Skywarps null rays, and pieces from Marvel Legends figures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

UPDATE 12/31: Sludge

So heres an updated pic of Sludge. I like the paint on him alot, though its not quite done. I removed a large portion of the barrel from the cannon, and will probably paint it silver and gold to match G1 sludges dino neck and head. it'll store on his back most of the time, and whenever I feel like putting it on his arm, i'll probably flip it around to the two barreled side.

So here are my questions. Does he need more color on on? If so, where? Also, does he look fine just repainted, or does he just look like Megatron with a different paint scheme? I think changing his head would go a long way towards helping with that.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. 12bulkhead

12bulkhead Artist

1) Both
    2) Slag/Soundwave, Snarl/Darkmount
    3) Depends on who has what weapons. If one is accurate to G1, keep it or slightly alter it. If not, create on.

3. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

1) er... maybe I should have been more specific. Should be toy color based, or cartoon color based. He can't really be both

2) Any reason why you feel those fit better? I've always thought of Slag as the bulkier of the two, but I'm open to change

3) Well, none of them really have any weapons that are anywhere close to their G1 ones, but I feel like Darkmounts pic-axe is kinda cool, and terradives trident makes a cool axe when its folded up. Also, WfC guns are really cool, but i'm concerned they're too unique to the character to match well with anyone else.

4. 12bulkhead

12bulkhead Artist

1) Maybe a combination of the two?
    2) True, Darkmount's tank form is shaped like the body of a Triceratops. Soundwave'd look good as a Stegosaurus with the pentagonal spines.
    3) Why not just use the G1 figures weapons, if you can get them?

5. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

I think that would look weird.

6. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    not with some modded work and or styrene exstenions??

7. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

i say swoop should be red, and you should just use the existing weapons, but modify them a bit.

i've always seen snarl as a more agile unit than Slag, so i think Snarl should have the soundwave mold, as t is a four-wheeled car, while the dark mount mold requires treads, which would give it the more sluggish, but powerful feel that i always related to Slag.

I really thnk this is a neat idea, can't wait to see more. ;) 

8. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

Yea but if he scratch builds them than he can make them really unique and awesome looking.

9. 12bulkhead

12bulkhead Artist

Does this help?

"I... like... chocolate milk"

10. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Swoop should be blue

11. spoonman

spoonman Kitbasher extrordinaire!

Well that works! Looking forward to the rest!

12. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Personally, I would make Darkmount Sludge - the long cannon implies the bronto neck better, IMO.

Then I'd Soundwave as Slag because I think the front end cow-catcher on Soundwave's vehicle mode imply the 'tops' horns.

Then I'd do WFC Megs as Snarl - I could imagine a row or two of "plates" along that gun in both modes.

I know that's more different than you were planning, but I hope it's somewhat helpful.

13. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

this is great

14. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

thanks for the comments and advice everyone.

Update on the first post

15. ACofCA

ACofCA Autobot

Ebay:
    I think sludge looks great. But if you wanted to, the only place that might need paint is the arms/shoulders. Great Job! Keep it up

16. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Dude, these are shaping up nicely so far! Definitely looking forward to more on these.

17. adconx2

adconx2 Cybertron D-Block

Ebay:
    Oh, this is going to be good!!! Grim's looking Bad!!

18. Jolt Customs

Jolt Customs Seacon

NICE! and i think just changing the head of sludge would be fine

and will they be turning into dinosaurs or just cybertronian vehicles?

19. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

I was thinking the same thing. I just painted the claw on his left shoulder and the gun on his right gold, and added some more neon orange to the right one, I think it helps alot. I'm considering painting the tracks on his forearms silver, but the G1 sludges forearms were all black, so I'm up in the air over it.

thanks man!

well I hope so at least. Grimlock is probably going to stay my favorite amongst these guys. Kinda wishing I hadn't finished him first now.

Thanks! Any head suggestions, or should I just modify Megs like I did on Grimlock?

They'll just be cybertronian vehicles. These are the first transformer customs I've done in forever, so I'm trying to keep the work load on them light-ish.

20. Koolimus Prime

Koolimus Prime Weapons Expert

I think Slag should be made from Soundwave becausethe things at the front are like the Triceratops horns.