Minor/Repaint: WIP Vortex

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Alteron_Sheng, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Alteron_Sheng

Alteron_Sheng 'Tis an Kitbasher & Elder TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've been slowly amassing toys for various gesalt groups. Thus far Bruticus has Vortex and Swindle (modified with a Armada Starscream head) and the body modified using AlphaMagnus' fantastic 'WIP:Combaticon SWINDLE Mod.' Tutorial.
    I wanted Vortex to be a bit bigger than Swindle, and when I saw the Spiderman in the Ironman/Spiderman set I realised that it was spot on perfect for how I saw Vortex, especially with the copter blades facing up instead of down like they're supposed to.
    I used the existing Spiderman head with a new optic-visor and sculpy to give him the right helm. Now he and Swindle are just awaiting the other teammates and paint.^^
    I'm going to be using a Galaxy Force Leader Optimus for Onslaught, an Xover tank Hulk for Brawl, but I'm still not sure what to use for Blast Off yet.
    ----
    There are no alt-mode pictures because I forgot to take them ^L^; , I'll update with the new images soon.

Attached Files:

2. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

While not a bad idea, i think you'll not get alot of positive reaction as long as those web lines are still there.

3. Alteron_Sheng

News Credits:
    *shrugs* I actually like the weblines, personally, but filling them in is fairly simple. If someone decides to do their own from this, well, that's why I posted it^^
    To me it isn't so much about the comments (though I love feedback) I just am proud of doing this-which-makes-me-happy, so I post it on the off chance taht I might give someone an idea to do their own custom, as skimming the posts here gives me such ideas.
    I'm just weird, I guess^^

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  4. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow.. I've never seen this toy in it's bot mode, and honestly, it works perfectly for Vortex... literally perfectly.. Good eye man!!!

5. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Good choice! I've been thinking about how to get a good Vortex out of the Spidey Copter for a while now. The main body, rotors and especially the way the tail rotors fold up on the arms, make it almost perfect for Vortex. I've been playing with the mold, and you can get some good "arm modes" out of it too... the only thing that bugs me is the copter mode itself, and those big turbines that his legs turn into. It might be worthwhile to do some heavier modding to the legs and canopy to make his alt-mode less of a "space copter"... maybe slim down the rotors too.

Anyway, good stuff. I wouldn't worry too much about the "webs"... once he's painted up, the webs will probably look more like panelling anyway.

zmog

6. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I agree with SMOG, I've had this guy for the better part of a year and had originally planned the same thing (may still go back to this idea, since Vortex is the only Combaticon I haven't really done any WIP on out of my Combaticons--been plugging away on those since late '08 if you want to do a search on my WIP and see if there are any ideas you could use). The head seems to be shaping up nicely so far....good luck with this project! Looking forward to seeing more, man

7. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

I think this guy will look great painted up. Great choice of mold. Wouldn't be too concerned with the webbing.

8. Alteron_Sheng

News Credits:
    Thanks! It was a bit of a gamble for me, given that I'd only seen his bot mode on the box but I had a coupon and I had a good feeling about it so I took the chance^^

I hope that your mods work out how you want them to, it sounds like that will REALLY get him looking like his original alt mode! I can't wait to see it ^^

Ooo, they just might. Thanks! ^^

Cool! I will go read through your posts ASAP, I can always use ideas for how to modify items and mayhaps I shall find what to use for Blast Off! (who is being annoying by hiding whenever I look at shuttle-formers^^)
    I'll be working on his head (and body) more before painting him up. I'm glad you like it!

Thanks! Right now I'm working out his color scheme mixing from the toy, cartoon model and comic model; as I try to do for most of my kitbashes^^

9. Soundwave3k

Soundwave3k TFW2005 Supporter

Oooooh, this looks like it could be awesome! I've been wondering who'd make a good deluxe sized Vortex but it looks like you've got it.

10. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    I was never into the webbing as-is, but found it useful - like you could *selectively* fill in the excess lines, still leaving a wonderful amount of panel lining in place. Still, it's yours, and I'm honestly more interested in how you apply the colors than how many lines are carved into the mold.

11. grayfox

grayfox Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I love the choice of mold for Vortex. He's looking pretty good!

Also, what is the Bumblebee/Lockdown custom behind Vortex? I love the looks of it. Give him an evil looking head and the proper paintjob and it looks like he'll make one heck of a decepticon :) 

12. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Heh... not sure when (or if) I'll go through with my Spidey-Vortex project... I was just suggesting some options for you right now. :) 

If you want a comparably sized Blast Off (large deluxe/small voyager range), I might suggest an RID Trainbot, like Railspike, or maybe Rapid Run. If you can find a lone junker for one of those figures, the bullet-train modes wouldn't require much modding to get a shuttle out of them. The train bots tend to be a bit thin-looking, but Blast Off is one of the physically weakest Decepticons, so it would still fit him well. :) 

zmog

13. Alteron_Sheng

News Credits:
    That's Runamuck^^, Runabout's going to be died red then get reshelled as well. I love me my Battlechargers ^^

Oh, thanks! I'd misunderstood, apologies.

Hmmmm, that just might work! I'll keep an eye out for those then! ^^