Heavy/Scratch: WIP Universe Hot Spot

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by whiskeytango, Nov 14, 2009.

1. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

WIP Universe Hot Spot **UPDATED 11/24**

Whats up guys. This is my first WIP in like a year, so I'm pretty psyched to be back at it. A little while ago while browsing my TRU, i found a Universe Inferno, a figure I could never find during its initial release. To make it an even sweeter deal, all voyagers were on sale for like $10, so i was more than pleased. Now for the past month or so I've just been staring at it, wondering what I should do. I don't really collect, so I knew I was either going to sell it or bash it. Right now, I'm glad I'm going with the latter.

Now, I don't plan on making the rest of the Protectobots, since I think Defensor is the lamest gestalt ever, so that frees me up a little bit on this guy, not having to worry about where other bots will connect. I'm starting off so far with some simple styrene work to create a somewhat G1-ish chest panel for him. I'm still working out how it'll work transformation wise. Also, i need to take off his gun, since I had to reverse the arm, making transformation impossible with that gun there.

**UPDATE 11/15**

On the advice of some of you, I've gone back and reworked the face plate alittle bit, making it into a three piece, instead of a prime like 2 piece. Also, to help integrate the styrene chest plate a little better with the rest of the mold, I've added a bunch more detail. Just little things here and there that really makes it look a lot less plain.

Thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

**UPDATE 11/16**

page three

**UPDATE 11/24**

Honestly, I haven't gotten a whole lot done on Hot Spot lately, but I have made a little something here for him:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its an energy blast for his rifle, and I think it actually turned out pretty well. Its made from the inner tube of a mechanical pencil, a tooth pick, and a whole lot of hot glue. Andddddd as you can see...

[​IMG]

... it is obviously removable. In order to make it so, I had to shove a styrene tube into the rifle to make a tight enough fit for the energy blast to stay in there.

Thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. OldsCut78

OldsCut78 Laser Rod

I have yet to find one and you get one for $10. I will be watching this one. Will you give him the third mode?

3. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

if it makes you feel better, it may have been $12.

I don't know about the third mode. To be honest, I didn't even know hot spot had a third mode. Do you mean the base like thing you could do with the G1 figure? Cause I'd call that more of a mistransformation than a third mode.

Edit: Adding the attached pics here so I can change the preview pic easier

Attached Files:

4. ORIO

ORIO Team Sentinel Prime Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Dude! That's pretty sweet man!

And BLASPHEMY. Defensor is a badass :rock  :) 

5. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Off to a great start! Looking forward to more progress on this. :D 

G1 Hotspot had 4 modes, shown in the instruction. Robot, fire truck, carrier mode, and his repair base mode.

6. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

ah. I never owned the original. Thanks for the heads up.

7. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Very cool.

8. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Oh, hey... the ol' flip around trick! :) 

I did a digitally coloured mock-up of this a couple of months ago (but then decided I wanted to start with a bigger mold for Hotspot, or else the other subgroup commanders would laugh at him)... I head-swapped, but just adding a faceplate to the existing Inferno head works surprisingly well! Are you also planning on building the little nozzles for the sides of his head?

You can probably find a decent ladder on some generic fire-truck toy... either at Walmart/TRU or even a thrift store bin.

zmog

9. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

Yeah, this guy is definitely inspired by your mock up. He's actually not that much shorter than the universe Onslaught mold, maybe a half inch, not including Onslaughts giant shoulders.

Theres going to be more work done on the head. Probably going to remove Infernos distinctive double crests, and the wings on the back of the head.

Thanks for the replies guys.

10. bellyboy

bellyboy working working working

News Credits:
    there is a very nice ladder that i ahve used for my inferno g2 repaint
    contact me in pm
    the truck its self is a fire truck with plenty of chrome and even a light and sound mech

11. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

Go back to TRU and look for the Fast Lane brand vehicles. There's a fire truck that sells for about $7. It has an extending ladder and even led lights and a siren if you so wish.

This is looking good so far though. Wish you were looking to do more of the Protectobots, whether they combined or not, since I think they're the easiest to figure molds for.

12. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yea man, why the hate on defensor, I think he's a badass combiner. Though I think all the combiners were rather cool myself :D . Either way you're making inferno look like inferno very very well! Great job my man!! Great job!!

13. SMOG

I'm honoured! It's true, Inferno is a big voyager... it's just that looking at his Tech Specs, he always felt more like a bruiser archetype (certainly moreso than Onslaught, heh), so I felt like I wanted HotSpot to be BIG.

Also, makes for a more substantial core base for Defensor. :) 

But the Inferno mold DOES make a great base for HotSpot, especially reversed, with those blocky proportions. The head you've got looks great! Can't wait to see it finished.

zmog

14. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    looking great so far. might i suggest one thing while the project is still in its initial stages?

Hot Spot has a three piece mouth plate. two sides and middle plate. what you have is the two-plate type, like Optimus and Soundwave have.

Just a suggestion!! i look forward to the rest of this.

15. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

... damnit, you're right. I just noticed that. Oh well, shouldn't be too hard to change. That faceplate was a pain though, since I couldn't find my screwdriver so I couldn't take the head off to work on it.

As far as my dislike for Defensor, I dunno what it is, I just never liked him. Maybe its because one of the Protectobots is pretty much a hippy.

16. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Awww yeah!! And, BTW, WELCOME BACK!!!!!

17. spoonman

spoonman I make bots.

Oh, dude! Bitchin'!

18. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

Haha, thanks so much. Not really coming back to much though. I don't think i ever finished a single custom.

Wait, no thats not true, I finished a Bonecrusher for a Ptitvastator I never finished.

19. SMOG

Hey! I was raised by hippies, y'know!!! :lol 

Actually the fact that Groove turns into a grossly off-scaled motorcyle bugs me much more than his being a hippy. :) 

zmog

20. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

Eh, I can kind of see it now. Didn't know you were talking about Groove being a hippy though. I thought you were mentioning First Aid. But I guess he's not really a hippy. Just a puss.