Heavy/Scratch: WIP Transformable papercraft Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Ribieconvoy, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    Well, I've been working on this for a while now and decided that I should post it up for advice, criticism, etc. Basically, I've decided to put together my love of transformers, papercraft and some random third thing into a transformable Optimus Prime. The only computer programs I have access to are MS Paint and Paint.net, so I will be drawing the pieces by hand and touching them up and coloring them on the computer. I started this project about five weeks ago, although I took a hiatus about a week into the project due to a death in the family and being up to my eyes in other work. Although, I've picked up the project again, and I can say that the arm is officially finished.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, it is fully transformable. The process takes a varying amount of time: The shoulder and forearm only took an hour to sketch, draw, ink, and scan into the computer, whereas the hand (which is, believe it or not, one piece) took 6+ hours. I've done a few sketches of the torso, and should be able to work on it tomorrow night. Wish me luck!

Update: 10-27-10
    Today I finished up the main structure for connecting the torso to the arms. The shoulder is on the same type of joint as the elbow. Everything comes together VERY nicely. Over the next few days I'll be working on the Chest windows as well as the back. I test built a colored version of the other arm to hold up the other side of the torso, but I won't be building the rest. Since this is a test build and most parts are mirrored, one side will be the same as the other. I've also included a picture of what the parts look like after they've been edited and printed out in the desired size.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  2. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Dude, that looks great. I can't wait to see more. Is it going to be painted/coloured?

3. Ribieconvoy

News Credits:
    Yeah, the final model will be colored. This is the test build, a practice build for me to work out any problems with the template. This way, I can avoid a "DOH!" moment like getting to a crucial piece only to find that it doesn't fit.

4. Treadshot A1

Inspirational. Now you've made me want to do a similar thing out of styrene. There goes more of my money...:lol 

Good luck. Oh, and make sure the wheels spin in truck mode or else! ;) 

5. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

This is awesome!

6. KINGBOTZ

KINGBOTZ www.KINGBOTZ.com TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    This is gonna be really cool to see materialize. So how exactly do you secure the seams & create pivots like in the elbow? It looks like you're able to maintain all the posability of the masterpiece version!

7. Treadshot A1

Judging by the shoulder in one of the pics, i'd bet he's creating the pivots with the old split pin concept, i.e. a pin joint that has the ends of the pin split and folded back, thereby locking the pin in place and allowing swivel motion.

Of course, he's probably got a more ingenious idea, so enlighten me if you will.

8. Hype1

Hype1 D Witwicky biographer

Yeah, this is REALLY cool! Paper crafts alone are some very time consuming pieces, but one that actually transforms...wow!

9. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    Well... I must say WOW.... but you gonna get hell, when you reach the midsection :( 

the arms are the easiest I'm afraid (I'm not saying it can't be done)

BUT DAMN... TIMES CONSUMING.... KEEP IT UP!! :D 

10. Ribieconvoy

News Credits:
    It took me about a week to figure out the best way to do the torso, but It's planned out and ready to be drawn. Here's a diagram I mocked up on a piece of scrap paper:
    [​IMG]
    Yes, it was folded up into a paper airplane. Not by me, but yes. :p 
    And for those of you asking how the elbows are built: [​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. G60Force

Ebay:
    O waint... your doing the... normal prime cab transformation, not the MP way?
    Cuz didn't see how you'd do that out of paper, since the instruction sheets s*ck balls :D 

12. Ribieconvoy

News Credits:
    Nah, I'm doing a combination of a few Primes, but mainly masterpiece. It's okay if you don't get my diagram, I'm just glad it makes sense to me. In fact, I haven't even drawn the wheels in yet, just a way for the arms to transform, but I also kept the wheels in mind when making that design. Don't worry, it'll all work out. ;) 

13. Ribieconvoy

News Credits:
    Hey guys! New update in the first post!

14. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

this is shaping up wonderfully man. looking forward to seeing him finished. looks like he'll be a little bigger than MP prime, AWESOME!!!

15. Buzby74

Buzby74 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    i got my eyes on this one too. this is cool, hope it works out. What are you planning on doing with it when you have done? sell the design maybe....

16. Ribieconvoy

News Credits:
    Update! Worked mostly on tweaking things. Reworked the chest to be narrower and added the chest windows. They are being held together by my fingers now, but once the bottom is attached they'll be able to stay on their own. The test build is getting very loose due to moving it around so much though, so I may have to rebuild some parts as I go along...
    [​IMG]
    As for the plans... once I finish it, I will be selling the blueprints for 5 or 10 dollars, although TFW members may get them for free if they just shoot me a PM once I'm finished. :thumb 

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      128.6 KB
      Views:
  17. G60Force

Ebay:
    Loook epic so far... I know my GF would love to try some..
    (since I rather not have her scratchbuild and destroy real TF parts ;) )

18. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just saw a video a couple weeks on costume building Master Chief. You may be interested in the process.

Basically they printed out the plans on cardstock. Cut them out. Taped them and what not for the shaping then started putting on coats of aqua resin making it pretty much solid plastic.

Might be something to do for paper models.

19. G60Force

Ebay:
    more info please?

20. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay: