Heavy/Scratch: WIP; Super articulated papercraft optimus prime

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Avon, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Avon

Avon Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Been working on this a while, and nearly finished with the first rough version.

It's been a dream of mine for Hasbro to do a line of super articulated 'action master' like figures for quite a long time. Despite being a pretty unusual dream (transformers that don't transform!), a couple of lines have come fairly close.
    The robot replicas are based on the movie though, and I don't really care for the designs (and they're not great for other reasons too, I believe), and the revoltechs are done in a style I don't really like, and I find the way their joints move annoying. I really liked the mega scfs released in Japan a few years ago, but they don't have a great deal of articulation. So, after seeing an amazing papercraft movie bumblebee online, decided I'd take a shot at putting something together.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've obviously got a fair bit more work to do; colours, detailing, re-arranging of some parts to make the gaps less obvious (the abdomen in particular), make the head and fists (I have them printed but not assembled) and some minor structural changes. Being a test, I made it fairly roughly, hopefully the end version will be neater. he'll be about 6 ins when completed.

It's got one fairly big (expected) problem though; loose joints. After making the arm, it was clear the friction of the card on itself wouldn't be enough, so I started covering any surfaces that touched with parcel tape, to increase the stability.
    This has worked pretty well (he can stand up unaided, as you can see), but it's not good enough to stand in 'unstable' poses without collapsing yet. Does anyone have any bright ideas how to solve this problem?

One other question; do the proportions look right? The legs look a little long to me, but it might be that the lack of fists just throws off the perception of it. I'm aiming for a look mainly based on the G1 cartoon.

It's been great fun though; getting ahead of myself, I've got got plans for Thrust and Hound up next. I'll release a pdf of the plans when it's done. though I'm not sure anyone would thank me; it's pretty fiddly!

Attached Files:

2. darrenmea9

darrenmea9 Well-Known Member

wow,looks awsome!, howd u give paper joints?

3. badbot98

badbot98 Antihero

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    cool,can u do more like soundwave?

4. KINGBOTZ

KINGBOTZ www.KINGBOTZ.com TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'd suggest "stuffing" the insides/hollows of the arms with tissue, felt or crumpled paper where the joints are to help expand the paper joint from within, creating more friction on the outside adjacent piece of the joint...because you won't be able to stiffen the joint from the outside without it showing somehow. It shouldn't take much to create the kind of rigidity you're looking for.

5. nav

nav Active Member

Nice very nice indeed .

6. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    this looks awesome! If Actionmasters were looking like that, they might have been much more interesting.

7. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

So far so good!
    Oh I and I think the legs a perfect length.

8. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

What about going the 3-3/4 GI JOE route and using rubber bands for the tensioning? i've used that on some paper models before.

And how are you making this? that "milkshape (?)", RHINO, or handdrawn?

it's pretty awesome, I want one when it's finished.

Randy!