Heavy/Scratch: WIP Scratch built Giraffe Transformer (like Longrack from Beast Wars Neo)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by blobatron, Feb 18, 2010.

1. blobatron

blobatron Changeatron/Plumbot

WIP Scratch built Giraffe Transformer (like Longrack from Beast Wars Neo) UPDATE 3/5

LATEST UPDATE 03/06/2010 COMPLETED THREAD HERE!!!.

I thought I'd try to make a giraffe transformer (my girlfriend loves giraffes). I took a look at Longrack from Beast Wars Neo and really didn't like what they did with the head/neck (except for the tongue/eyes sticking out/rolling up, I also like how they did the rear legs).

The neck/head of my giraffe will split and become the arms. The robot legs will fold up to become the front legs and I still have to figure out the rear legs when I have the time.

This guy is a combination of 1/144 Impulse Gundam upper body, Neoshifter forearm/finger and square metal tubing, clay (baked, will replace with milliput when I get a chance to buy it), and styrene sheets. So far I've got the robot mode skeleton up.

Enjoy the pics for now, and I'll update as I make more progress.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  2. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

that's some nice scratchbuilding there, mate :D 

3. blobatron

02/20/2010 Update

So, I was spending a lot of time sketching out how to make the rear giraffe legs and how to make it work in robot mode, then it came to me. I bore out some space in the pelvis and plugged in the mini Neoshifter pilot, minus head and legs. Then I attached some metal tube legs i made to the arms of the neoshifter, and walla, giraffe butt with legs. The rear end is going to fold up and over the front legs in robot mode to give the thighs some mass. Check out the pictures.

Attached Files:

4. Sorrow Six Star

Sorrow Six Star Close Countach

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    wow I really dig it.

5. eisen

well done dude! can't wait to see the sculpting you'll do on the beastmode :) 

6. KINGBOTZ

KINGBOTZ www.KINGBOTZ.com TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Dang, that looks pretty cool, nice work on the design!

7. bellyboy

bellyboy working working working

News Credits:
    man that so good
    love giraffes

nice progress u made there
    i'll b sure watchinthis one

8. evrdazed

evrdazed Well-Known Member

9. blobatron

Oh wow! I have not seen that. That's crazy!

10. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm really intrigued by this :thumb 

11. Quantum_Anomaly

Quantum_Anomaly Scratch Basher

could you please share your hinge-building techniques in detail? Where you get your supplies, the size of screws ect? I'm working on a larger die-cast project and could use some tips. How do you get them so stable? This is definately a fantastic project and I am eager to see your progress!

12. Stormvapor

Stormvapor Well-Known Member

Amazing!
    the engineering is so perfect. Very, very cool

13. blobatron

I bought the metal tubing and screws at a local hardware store. I picked out sizes of tubing that would slide into each other perfectly, and bout some 3mm wide screws of different lengths. To make the joints, I slid the smaller diameter tubing into the larger one a a centimeter in, then drilled a hole through both, then cut off the excess metal of the smaller tubing that goes into the larger tube and smoothed it out. Then on the adjacent sides to the larger tube that has the holes, I used my dremel cutting piece to cut part of the sides out so that the smaller, inner tube can fold up.

Since the tubes fit well inside each other to begin with, they were really stable once I put in the screws. Some of the joints i used longer screws and cut off the heads. But be careful when you do that when the screw is in plastic.... cuz the heat from the friction on the screw will melt the plastic (i almost ruined the shoulder joints that way).

Hopefully that helps! For a visual, the first joint only picture and one of the robot pictures should show where i cut the joints.

14. Quantum_Anomaly

Quantum_Anomaly Scratch Basher

awesome. Yeah, I've been looking for a hardware store that sells just the right stuff. Tubing is a lot easier to get than screws, the smallest I've found are 4/40 screws which will work in a pinch, but alas. Thanks for the tips!

15. starshooter8

starshooter8 AutoCon

:drool: aww that is awesome i cant wait to see the finished product Beast wars is one of my fave transformers series i just wish they would of had combiners in the beast wars series on the show. im working on a drawing of beast wars Devastator and Defensor . ill be keep an eye on this post. awesome work keep it up :thumbs2: :bay :cool: 

16. blobatron

02/25 update

Lots of work done here. I resculpted the forearms with milliput (was previously done with baked hobby clay, which cracked easily/was still too soft).
    *I also resculpted the head, which I feel looks much better; embedded some Gundams hand in there just for looks (doesn't fold out or anything)
    * Added sculpting to the legs, upper arms, butt and chest.
    *Chest was dremmeled out from top and used my tubes to make a telescopic neck for the Gundam head that I thinned the sides of. Head nests partially in chest in beast mode, and extends enough to sit just above the chest (not enough room in the chest cavity for a long extending neck)
    *Made a mane for the neck from styrene and glued them to some pegs, embedded ring joints in the forearms. In robot mode, the mane rotates out to become saw blades.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out how to finish out the Beast Mode sculpting for the back end of the giraffe. For now, I've filled the gaps between the moving pieces with clay, then put a layer of Milliput over that and am letting it cure overnight. Once its set, I'm going to take off the set Milliput shell, get rid of the clay, and see if I can chop up the shell and make it work.

Pics below.

Attached Files:

17. landbasered

landbasered Well-Known Member

very impressive! I love the head hands.

18. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    Man! That is... :O

That is some top-notch work there. The amount of patience that must have gone into a scratchbuild such as this is mindblowing (If I was attempting something as involved as this, I probably would have binned it by now... :lol ). Absolutely kick-ass job Mate! :thumb . Now get back to work already! :lol 

19. bellyboy

bellyboy working working working

News Credits:
    great progress u made my friend

i really dig how it turns

20. eisen

oh yeah. this thing's a winner! :bay