Heavy/Scratch: WIP: ROTF Recon Ironhide W/ Battle Damage

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Hotwire, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Hotwire

Hotwire Pro-Customizer

Well, here's what I've got so far. Looking for some feedback on how I can improve the look of the damage. Right now it's just painted with Tamiya Chrome Silver. He's going to stay flat black with some Tamiya Gun Metal accents, like the tube steel and bumpers. Please, let me know your thoughts.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

For damage, maybe you could poke a hole in his door (robot form) or in one of his chest plates and then work on lifting some of the edging around the hole so it has a three dimensional look and then weather it from there. That would be sick but severe.

3. Hotwire

Hotwire Pro-Customizer

You're talking about a huge hole, right?

4. SonOfNemesis

A good size hole, like if you were to stick a pen through it. But then take pliers and lift or bend some of that hole's edge so that it looks like something hard pierced the armor. You prolly wouldn't want a smooth edged hole.

Just my 2 cents, cuts and scratches are always fine but lets see some hard core damage!!

I think your idea is awesome by the way and I'd like to see what you do with it.

5. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    Heat up a sharp knife on a stove range, then lightly drag the knife down parts of the plastic to make gashes, then make the insides of the cuts silver.

Use a dremel to make gouges or holes.

Crack any of the windshields.

Drybrush silver over any areas that would see alot of wear, then drybrush a clear brownish color over that to make rust.

Mud always looks nice for wear. Splatter some all over the wheels and surrounding areas.

6. SonOfNemesis

SP has a good point, rust. You can buy a rust powder at the hobby shop and basically brush it on to wherever you want and it sticks like it was meant to be.

Also, Maybe instead of one good sized hole, you could make one good size hole in the chest plate or wherever and then right above it (kind of offset) you can place a smaller one as well to make a double hit - just a thought.

7. Hotwire

Hotwire Pro-Customizer

Already put some cuts on him, and some bullet holes. This mold only has one "glass" and I don't want to scratch that one.

8. xaviercal

xaviercal Customizer

Ebay:
    looking good

9. SonOfNemesis

Here's another thought...maybe you could sort of make a series of small scratches in one area that resembles an impact that a missile head would have made but didn't penetrate...then dry brush those scratches so it looks like it dented the armor where it hit.

10. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

I'm liking it so far. And so far, all of the suggestions for what more to do are good ones. I'll also say kudos for those bullet hole trails on his back end NOT being in a straight line (IE: more realistic fire spray effect). Can't wait to see it finished. :) 

11. wylungz

wylungz Well-Known Member

for bullet wholes, IMO i think the best way to make it look great is by using a soldering iron because for me i would just stick the point on it till it "penetrates" and then u can easily take it out and on a angle to ruin the sides of the whole to make it look like melted metal.. i have never done this on a custom but i have done it while experimenting and i always thought it looked great

12. Hotwire

Hotwire Pro-Customizer

UPDATE!

Well, I ended up scrapping the glow-in-the-dark paint idea. Just couldn't get it for the right price. Will hopefully use it on a future custom. But, here's Recon Ironhide, nearly finished. His bot mode it done with the exception of the Testors dullcoate. Once I get that done, I can transform him and finish his altmode, which still needs a red racing stripe, and gun metal accents. Will keep you posted.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. fateastray

fateastray AnakRepublikMalukuSelatan

I'm no expert (at all) on cutting battledamage, but the 'cuts' on the hood might to be bigger, or not...uhh....The edges around the cut, where the plastic 'folds', might look more convincing if they were bigger. This is where I notice English is a secondary language har har.

Either way, the red detailing looks kickass, and you have a very nice drybrushing style.

14. Hotwire

Hotwire Pro-Customizer

Thanks.

15. SonOfNemesis

Looks cool man!

16. JazzTheMeister

JazzTheMeister Active Member

For battle damage could you not make a pierced hole in the shape of say a sword ? he is bludgeons rival after all

17. fakebusker83

fakebusker83 Radicon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looking very nice...and the drybrushing brought out the details really well.

If I'm not wrong, many decepticons in the desert battle used large cannons and artillery shells as well, besides machine guns. I know it's kinda too late to suggest this, but I liked using a dremel at high speed to 'melt' the plastic, for the 'hit by heavy artillery' effect. This works pretty well for the robot parts which are drybrushed; not really suitable for the vehicle shell.

Besides rust powder as was earlier suggested, you can try using glossy black or black oil paint to portray oil leaking from the holes. You can also create bigger splashes and oil stains. Since the shell is flat black, the silvery quality of the gloss black can really pop out. This can be added as a last layer of detailing. :)  there's no too late for oil.

18. fateastray

fateastray AnakRepublikMalukuSelatan

Ooh, bulletholes in his head. like, from friendly fire, so they can be small.