Heavy/Scratch: WIP: ROTF bipedal Devastator kitbash

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Grimlockimus, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Grimlockimus

Grimlockimus Wot?

News Credits:
    It's fair to say that many fans weren't too happy with ROTF's incarnation of Devastator.

Turning the classic giant combiner into a four-legged vacuum of death with balls might make some unhappy.

So, I thought I'd give making a custom Devastator another shot. I already made a ROTF Devastator that looks screen accurate and a bit more poseible, but now I'm giving a try at my own version....hopefully it's good enough ^^"

[​IMG]

Made out of nothing but Constructicon toys, this is the current state the Deva-2 project is at ^^'

Current components are: Supreme Devastator's limbs, Deluxe Rampage and Deluxe Bonecrusher, along with Voyagers Longhaul, Mixmaster, and Demolisher. With a tiny legends Rampage for some fun.

And yes...this thing is held together with nothing but rubber bands, more precisely, the clear one you find in TF packaging >.> Fun fact, once positioned right, he can indeed support himself, without any help from a wall to lean on or anything.

So, comments, advice, tips, all are appreciated :]

Might add more pictures later if I work on it more or if people request them

Attached Files:

2. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    well it looks good from start :D 
    BUT..if not able to transform into individual bots... please do us and yourself a favor redeem those rubberband and make it solid connection so it can be posed a lot and does not need support
    (1 position don't count for unsupported charater)

3. Slothboy

Slothboy Nick

^ I agree. Proper connectors are going to make it even more stable.

Still though, very creative idea for a custom. It'd be interesting to hear a back story to go along with a more humanoid Devastator. (Maybe after being blown to pieces he upgrades to a more agile configuration?)

4. Destructicon 1

Destructicon 1 Original Gestalt

Very creative.

5. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Oooh, I like what you have going here so far! Mixmaster looks a bit too bulky as a leg in comparison to Rampage, though. Might I suggest making Mixmaster an arm? That way, you could use the claws of Mixmaster as a ready made hand, and perhaps you could even use the mixing drum as an arm cannon.

6. ServO

ServO Seeker (I look for stuff) Moderator

I personally think it's amazing that you would be able to get a figure of this size to support itself without an established system of joints in place. That alone to me says that it would be worth investing in finding a way to make them properly connect to one another. You might want to try picking up a Bionicle set for the joints, or some strong magnets...possibly a combination of the two.
    As far as the figure itself goes, I love it! I am one who does not care at all for the ROTF Devy, but I love the idea of another take on the constructions, still following the movie theme. All the arms and legs where they're supposed to be, and a more normal head. Your fig has a nice powerful stance, broad shoulders...it commands a very powerful presence. I would get some acrylics and start fleshing out the smaller details, and as a suggestion...on your Devy's mid section...on his left and right abdomen there are the two bulldozer type pieces with the "teeth" on them...it would be cool to get some of those teeth, or other claw type lookin' thingies on the square yellow part in the middle of his abdomen...I think that would help tie it all together a bit better.
    I like this though...don't run out of steam and not finish him!
    I'll look forward to updates.

7. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think magnets would be the sleekest way to go on this one...

8. Crimsonthunder

Crimsonthunder Well-Known Member

How it should've been done in the first place

9. Grimlockimus

Grimlockimus Wot?

News Credits:
    Made some additions/improvements:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Swapped Mixmaster out for Long Haul, he provides a much sturdier support for the body. Gave him Mixmaster's Faction shields on his chest so he had a visible insignia, and....some old lego Bionicle pieces until I find suitable hands ^^"

10. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Different, but the movie devastator was not a four leg. character, it just seemed that way.

11. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I say keep the bionicle claws, at least on the Right hand of the figure (Longhaul's arm).

12. Mattw38

Mattw38 Well-Known Member

MUCH better then the screen version. Kudos!

13. legolas grof

legolas grof Cardboard Industries CEO

News Credits:
    this looks awsome! very creative :thumb 

14. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    WOWWW the second version rocks.... I love your frequent updates!!!!! :D 

But watch out people could get annoyed ;)  LOL

15. fakebusker83

fakebusker83 Radicon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Excellent work so far and I like the variety in scale, like legends vs. voyagers. Give it a different look. I kinda dig the whole rubber band thing as well, he looks almost frankenstein-ish which kinda fits the movie gestalt concept.

However I agree with ServO that using proper joints would make it much better. Bionicle or even PCC joints are good alternatives. The head seem a little small as well; maybe you can bulk it up with additional styrene.

CHAINS...you gotta add CHAINS!! (a la DOTM Megatron)

Wow.

I like to keep myself uninvolved with much of the interactions that take place on these boards, but somethings can egg me so that I'd like to put in my 2 cents. Grim may update frequently on this thread, but at least he only has one (that I know of). It would be nice to show some respect to him and not bring your mess/issues into his thread.

16. Mrbobcom

Mrbobcom Galactic ruler

I think you may need a new head it just looks way too small and out of proportion

17. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Wow, absolutely loving this alternate interpretation of Devastator (and I'm a huge fan of the vacuum gorilla). Nice and bulky.

I like the upper torso on the first version better. The triangular shape is a bit more interesting that the square block.
    And, as others have said, the head's a bit awkward, though IMO it's mostly because it's 'simply' Long Haul's (though it blends in with the Legends Rampage beautifully).

18. ServO

ServO Seeker (I look for stuff) Moderator

You could try maybe a Cyberton Metroplex noggin or something...

19. Janeails22x

Janeails22x Collector & Customizer

News Credits:
    Very cool concept. I'm astonished that it is all held together with rubber bands! The use of bonecrusher is awesome. I agree the head sentiments that it could use a bigger one. Like the use of voyager long haul. Looking pretty nifty so far!

20. Bern

Bern Pathetic fools!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Loving this! :D