Minor/Repaint: Wip: Proof of concept Overlord

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by kjyl, Jan 13, 2012.

1. kjyl

kjyl I'm a shark.

Wip: Proof of concept Overlord :update 1/23/12

Having seen the botcon Gigatron, and not to open a can of worms, decided it was not for me. But that got me thinking on what I would like in a classics style overlord and how I would do it.

This is very very early Wip, more of proof of concept then anything else. I normally do not post stuff until I am done but I kind of wanted some other peoples thoughts and input on this.

It still needs a fair bit of sculpy work, I need to figure out a tank turret and where I want to cut the Fuselage of the jet to make the arm thing. and of course paint.

Thoughts and suggestions please.

Small Update

Just got the new magnets and these work much better to the point that I can get the leg to move the ratcheting joints without it coming apart. It can even hold the leg at a 90 degree angle.

Now that these are on I can start sculpting over them to finish the legs.

Also if you look at the last picture this is where I have decided to cut for the arm shield thing.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Not a bad start. However, I'm getting more of an upscaled Flywhees vibe from this project.

3. benclark1982

benclark1982 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree, this is a great start but Flywheels comes to mind, maybe taking the nosecone section off and placing it on his arm might help. do you have plans to make the base mode as well?

4. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

It's funny... after the reveal of the Botcon "Gigatron" I started thinking of doing an Overlord from exactly the same base! The Silverbolt mold is a surprisingly good place to start from, and he's already sort of large. Better still (this doesn't help you much now that you've already started), but the Toys R Us Darkwind repaint of this mold, would even be a better colour base to begin with.

I agree about finding a way to separate the nosecone to get the traditional "shield arm" configuration. I like what you've done with the legs, though I can't help feeling that they might look a bit "stumpy" in the final product. Also what are your plans for the turret?

As for the Flywheels thing, I think that's inevitable considering he was a better known tank/jet combiner robot... but for what it's worth, I think the mold you've chosen says "Overlord" a lot more forcefully (after all, the jet mode and upper body look NOTHING like Flywheels).

Interested in seeing how this goes, considering I was thinking about doing the same thing. :) 

zmog

5. kjyl

kjyl I'm a shark.

[​IMG]

I also can turn the legs this way, part of the joy of magnets. I thought of useing one of the repaints but this one was $10 at a local shop.

No real plans on the base mode, the nosecone shield needs to happen, and for the turret for the tank, maybe Skullgrin? I would like to figure out a way to have the turret turn into two hand guns, but that will be all scratch build.

6. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    Yo guys... separating the nosecone on the hinge joint by default is easy as pie...
    since I did this ages ago and use Lego connecto to combine, but even without the Lego it hold nearly perfect... But I'm gonne use a ROTF Leader Jetfire and G1'ify it :p 

7. kjyl

kjyl I'm a shark.

It is way too long at that joint, but thanks.

8. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    nice, i totally disagree about flywheels, all he needs is an appropriate slightly undersized head (for imrpession of scale) and he'll look spot on.

apologies for the dire quality mockup, but only have access to MS paint on this machine -

[​IMG]

9. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Despite having that look of Flywheels on cyber steriods I think this might look cool as Overlord.

10. zodconvoy

zodconvoy Well-Known Member

@kjyl: I'm working on the same basic thing right now and I already checked to see if the upcoming "Gigatron" head will fit by trying it with the original Bludgeon head. It'll totally fit in Silverbolt's chest but either the head or the neck will need to be altered. Since you have to get rid of the electronics to make the front of the jet detachable, the neck should be the easier of the two. But the front of the jet has clearance issues when attached to the arm.

All in all, great proof of concept!

11. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

I actually had someone recently ask me to do a commission piece using these 2 figures in this way to make Overlord.
    He wanted him to have an arm gun (from bludgeon tank cannon) that made the tank's turret, have the jet front come off to form a weapon for the other arm, give him the long barrels on his shoulders, and use the Silverbolt legs to make removable thrusters that can attach to the jet or bot. I told him I'd also need to add some small parts and sculpt a few things to really bring the Overlord look home, but agreed to do the entire thing and painting for only $200 shipped (and he lives in brazil).
    He said the price was way too high.
    Nice to see how this could look though.

12. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I guess I should probably clarify on my Flywheels comment: the template he's working with gives me a Duocon vibe, hence the Flywheels reference. That's what it reminded me of. I mean, people can disagree all they want, but the design is reminiscent of the Duocon idea...two vehicles that merge to form one robot. Since this is an Overlord custom, I didn't mean anything bad by it. This isn't a put-down by any means. And I'm certainly not saying that it can't work as an Overlord piece.

13. kjyl

kjyl I'm a shark.

No problem, Overlord was kind of a duocon, Ie tank and jet. So I see the through put.

Fuck really? that is way too much work for 200 not counting molds and shipping.

14. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    If you can make the nose of the jet removable so it can be put on his arm, that would go a long way.

15. Dicron

Dicron Well-Known Member

Awesome idea. I look forward to seeing this completed. (And then totally ripping it off, hah!)

16. Mayhem_Prime

Mayhem_Prime Steggo-puss

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i was thinking about this from a while ago and here are my two things to say.

first see if you can find away to remove the nosecone section of silverbolt but without cutting or damaging the joint piece and try and have it attach to the joint with an improvised friction peg or whatever so you will still have both the clip peg and the new friction joint to hold it in place in jet mode.

as far as doing the arm piece with the nosecone section the one thing that kept coming up in my head is that it will be rough getting it to sit on/attach to silverbolt's arms primarily because there is no room behind the arms, it is just flat wing backpack stuff so either overlord is always in a pose where his arm is out or you have his left arm in an awkward position the entire time to allow for the jet piece to be on the arm. not trying to shoot you down just something to keep in mind for when you get to that stage of customization.

17. rumble619

rumble619 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like where this is headed.I think Overlord is kind of a rough one to do but you're definitely headed in the right direction.

Hurry and finish him so I can make myself one lol!!!!!!!

18. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

I like how this looks. Can't wait to see it all finished.

19. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i like this so far, the clearance issue with the nosecone is the only thing that makes me leery of that mold, i was thinking of deluxe molds that could work together, just so hes big in the display, but not overbearing, if yours turns out great, i may just go with this instead

20. Snaptrap

Snaptrap Field Commander

I think you’ve got a winning concept here. It shouldn’t be too hard to have part of the cockpit or nosecone attach to his left arm, possibly making the wings fold back a bit, though I’d probably want to cut off the decorative chest wings that cover his shoulders. I forget what’s behind them, so maybe replace instead of remove. But yeah, I can see this working very well, a lot of the mould actually works very well with Overlord’s Masterforce paint deco.