Minor/Repaint: WIP projects II : Megatron & Starscream

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SMOG, Oct 27, 2008.

1. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Two more projects I've been picking at lately...

CLASSIC G1 TANK MEGATRON
    I know that's a contradiction, because Megatron didn't become a tank until G2... but I'm going for a sort of IDW-style G1ish tank Megs.

I've actually been planning this project for YEARS now, but I only recently figured out how to give Armada Megatron the leg articulation I wanted... basically a full hip/thigh transplant from a junker Cybertron Jetfire. I still needed to do a little bit of cutting and sanding, but for the most part, these limbs were exactly what I needed for Armada Megs.

IDW STARSCREAM / SEEKER (?)
    One thing that always bugged me about the Classics Seeker mold is that while it's a gorgeous rendition of the G1 character model, it just feels too small. The G1 Seekers were always a bit bigger than their Autobot adversaries, and the Classics mold is just too dainty to mesh.

And then along came Marvel Crossovers Iron Man and his F-22 Raptor-inspired alt-mode! With a little bit of work, he's well on his way to providing me with a team of Seekers that are somewhere between a Deluxe and a Voyager scale... in other words, the perfect size!

I've replaced the head with Cybertron Thundercracker, and jacked up his backpack wing assembly. The traditional Seeker pylons behind his head are not attached yet, but they will fold out of the way to allow for full transformation.

I included a couple of rough digibashes to show how the repaints might go... :) 

zmog

Attached Files:

2. Boy who screams

Boy who screams Banned

Also loving the Seekers here. How did you 'jack up' the backpack?
    I've always loved the idea of toys based on IDW comics. Pre AHM of course!

Just thinking, if you every do a Cybertronian mode Megs from IDW, perhaps use The Fallen as a base? I know with the metal it might make it difficult, but it's go the same basic shape.

BTW, I know the Megatron you ARE doing isn't IDW.

3. Terrorcon_King

Terrorcon_King Has Gone Transmetal

News Credits:
    really liking the Starscream! thats a real WOW!!! like making a completely different take on the Seekers! nd the Megatron i like too! especally the head!

4. SMOG

This didn't start as an IDW project, but once I started working on the Iron Man figure, I started to notice a resemblance to the IDW Seekers (who are of course F-22's as well).

Jacking up the backpack is pretty easy actually... lop off the Iron Man head connector entirely, and drill 2 holes and you're pretty much done.

The wing assembly is normally locked down by a plug-in-socket on a panel on his back. Drill a new hole for the plug one panel further up on his back, and his wings will sit higher. Then drill a second hole on the small flap connected to the original neckplate, and attach the new head there (the new head doesn't replace the old Iron Man head. It attaches to a different spot, so you have to add a screw or new ball joint or something).

Yeah, I think the design for the Titanium Fallen and IDW Megatron must be related somehow... they're very similar. Too bad Titanium Fallen is such a small mold... if it was Ultra-sized, it would have saved me a lot of trouble. :) 

zmog

5. Boy who screams

Boy who screams Banned

Cool. Are you going to make rotational elbow joints?

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    sweet? and maybe wolverine = equal soundwave.

7. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

i like your work man not sure what to think of the tracks on megatrons shoulders though they look rather ominous :tongue:  not your fault though. the seeker looks like awesome all they way around

8. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

And should Megatron not look ominous? :inquisiti 

Again, brilliant stuff. I wasn't too sure about the Iron Man mould when I first saw pics, but you really know how to sell it. :D 

And Megatron looks great too. I've been wondering about how to articulate the legs for a while now, and I've been on the verge of using Knights' Kingdom ratchets. But you're actually making me want to search out a junker Jetfire now... :p 

9. Xhairs

Xhairs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    nice man cant wait to see them done.

10. agentgro420

agentgro420 Le potteux

Ebay:
    i gotta find myself a junker cybertron Jetfire..

nice work!!

11. grimlockprime

grimlockprime Well-Known Member

the fallen is basically idw megs with the fallen's head

12. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Megatron looks AWESOME. That's something I've always wanted to do as the Armada design is one of my favorite versions of Megs, but the toy's execution was severly lacking. However with those mods you're bringing out that designs real potential. How long until we can see alt mode pics?

And I always felt the same about the seekers being too small, and the Ironman mod idea is a great one. These are both excellent mods, I can't wait to see the finished versions.

13. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

For a really IDW-acccurate seeker, you could use Energon Starscream.
    This still looks awesome though. Can't wait to see it finished.

14. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Excellent work on the seekers!

I too have some plans for X-over Iron Man and Torch. I like the digibashes. it proves the x-over line can be serious bash contenders! Bravo!:thumbs2: 

15. SMOG

Haven't decided yet. If I find a serendipitous pair of arms on another robot that will fit perfectly, sure! :) 

I was also considering the idea of giving his shoulders an extending joint where they attach to the body so he can kind of hunch them forward, but it depends on how much work it'll be. I'm lazy!

I know what you mean about the tracks on the shoulders... they're a little distracting. I was thinking of ways to have them fold away, but every idea creates more kibble or conflicts elsewhere.

I should mention that I'm planning on adding folding panels to Megatron that fill his "gaps" in tank mode. His chest area will fold up to become part of the front of the tank.

Maybe, but based on the early images, I think Captain America will make an excellent Soundwave. Less stocky, boxy chest, Hummer altmode... maybe the shield can even be turned into some kind of radar dish... ?

A smaller head does wonders for that Iron Man mold, though his big flat square feet still look sort of cartoony, and I can't figure out why (since TFs always have big square feet).

I've been blocked on how to articulate A. Megatron's legs for AGES now, and I was looking at Lego Knights joints too... but then I realized that I was going about it all the wrong way. It was quite an epiphany when I realized I could just swap in Jetfire's legs and they'd work exactly the way I needed them to! There may have been tears of joy.

Just sayin'. :) 

NOTE: If anyone wants to try this swap, be mindful of the exact height of the new waist. I missed it by a centimeter and now the folded legs don't quite peg into the shoulders in tank mode.
    :dunce 

You're right... especially if you mod the legs so the rear fins function as feet. But that mold is still smallish, and the jet mode is a little clunky. Crossover IronMan hides his kibble a bit better I think.

Thanks! Me too! :) 

I've got a lot of things on my plate (and not just customs) so I'm sure these will progress very slowly. I've been meaning to take pics of these WIPs for a while now just to get some feedback! I'm hoping at least one of these will be finished by Xmas though.

zmog

16. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    That Seeker is cool, that's a genius idea. Looks like it has articulation at the wrists and ankles too?

17. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

Me too. Fortunately, there's enough redecoes of the mold out there.

18. SMOG

Yeah, wrist articulation, both for folding up, and rotation. It's good for those kinds of declaiming postures Starscream likes to take. The ankles aren't bad. A bit of forward, back and side-to-side motion, but not a lot.

zmog

19. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    More than the Classics Screamer gave us then - cool. With being larger and having more articulation, yours really will be "Classic"! :)  Look forward to seeing him finished... and that Blitzwing you posted in your other thread too. That head works.

20. timshinn73

timshinn73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Very nice work. Look forward to seeing more.