Minor/Repaint: WIP Prime Megatron

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by aledromo, May 21, 2012.

1. aledromo

aledromo Decepticon at the Gate

Hi,

A while ago I tried to improve my RiD Megatron by adding a coat of silver. It was an improvement, but made him look too pretty. Not the battle hardened warrior the brushed steel finish he has on the show gives him. Wasn't sure what to do until yesterday I just threw a grey acrylic wash over the silver and I found myself much happier with the result.

Still not perfect, though, as from some angles he just looks dirty. Also the grey was a cheap Walmart brand of acrylic, so it's a pretty mucky finish that will come off if rubbed hard enough. Anyway, look upon him, ye all. And if anyone has any suggestions on how to get that look better, I'm all ears.

Attached Files:

2. KayODave

KayODave Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I understand that a cue tip can be used to polish the paint, might want to give that a try.

3. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    How I did mine was to go over him (the whole figure) with flat black then use silver to dry brush him.

But due to the plastic texture, the paint that you applied to him looks good. I am looking forward for you to complete him :thumb 

4. Ruminus

Ruminus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yea, I'd leave it as is except do a dark gray or black wash in the cracks and crevices, put a little bit here and there on the larger surfaces then give it a quick dry brush with your silver again, and then clear coat it! It will make your gray look like the metal is oxidizing but still kinda shiny and the darker wash will make the panel detail stand out a bit more! But the gray over Silver is a good idea and one I was considering myself for this guy.

5. Rodimeister0088

Rodimeister0088 Prime

What i do is i base coat Megatron in black, and with a thick brush, fade in a steel metallic on the body until the whole body is covered(except the purple parts). It is drybrushing but without leaving direct brush markings as "scratches" like the most common technique we use. This will give the metal finish from the show and will leave the surface smooth like a baby's butt.
    EDIT: to get the steel metal color, mix black(gloss will leave a nice sheen) with just a small bit of silver.
    One last thing, the paint i use is ENAMEL, not acrylic. Acrylic i find is better when using an airbrush as it will dry up super fast and can be complicated to deal with when using a brush(unless you are spurt-renolds lol). Paint thinner can come in handy in case it doesnt come out quite right. Remember that your brush has to be VERY dry when you do the fade, and with light strokes in circular motions, with a thick brush. I hope this helps. Took me a couple of tries to figure out how to do it myself.

6. aledromo

That sounds awesome. Do you have any pics?

7. aledromo

Also, "fade in?" Is that just painting over the black with a thin enamel mix? And how durable are the enamels? Not that I have ever transformed him.