Minor/Repaint: WIP: Optimus Primal (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by LemonPrime, Aug 25, 2009.

1. LemonPrime

LemonPrime Greetings Programs

News Credits:
    This is a repaint I started a couple of months ago and pretty much dropped after countless hiccups along the way. There's stripped screws, tons of contact/rub points, ball joints that I couldn't help with any amount of sanding or coats of Future polish, and conceptual headaches (ie. color scheme). It became more frustrating than fun, and with ROTF toys aching for new paint jobs, I just gave in, at least temporarily.

I was initially inspired by Spurt Reynolds' Universe Lio Convoy. I looked at my Cybertron "ape" Optimus Prime and noticed it had an insane amount of detail sculpted into both modes, and I don't remember seeing too many repaints that highlighted that detail.

I decided I'd make him into Optimus Primal, since I've got lots of Primes, but no BW leaders on my shelves.

I started with a black base coat using Chaos Black by Games Workshop. Let me point out how awesome this mold looks in flat black!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I knew I wanted a silver-back gorilla look, but really wanted to bring out the detail of the sculpted hair, so I used some dark gray washes and very light drybrushing.

After watching some videos online about blending techniques used by miniature painters, I went to work using thinned coats of metallics for the chest, and non-organic parts on his arms, legs, and back. It turned out pretty cool in that those parts look silver/gray from above and metallic blue from below, though I don't think the pictures show it too well. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I jumped ahead a bit and added some detailing with the eyes, ape teeth, and that sort of thing just to feel like I was getting somewhere with him.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He was looking decent in beast mode, but I stalled out when it came to his 'bot mode. I wanted Primal to have his blue helmet, but the cartoony aesthetic of the solid blue seemed to clash horribly with the metallics. [​IMG]

I had the same problem with the 'bot feet. Doesn't look right, does it? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So that's where this monkey's stuck. I welcome any feedback and suggestions from the Radicons to help me get him back on track some day. Thanks for looking (sorry 'bout the giant pics).

Attached Files:

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    This looks really cool! :thumb 

I'd suggest resizing these images, though. They're quite huge (for no ascertainable reason).

3. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    Well, "pic heavy" certainly describes the thread. :p 

The metallics on the gorilla body do look awesome. As you mentioned, the blue looks kinda off because of the shade you used - it's too bright/light. I would suggest doing one of two things:
    1. Go with a slightly darker shade of blue, and do some blending like what Spurt does. Add dark blue washes and lighter blue highlighting. I'm beginning to get a hang of this technique and it looks very cool. :thumb 
    2. Go for a metallic blue - drybrush the head in silver/gunmetal then cover with clear blue acrylic. I think this is the paint job that the head of the TM SP DX release of Optimus Primal had. :) 

---

Also, you might wanna do some blending on the eyes so that they look like they are glowing white towards the center. The eye-pieces on this mold are pretty large (compared to the movie molds, at least) so you can't get away with just painting them in a flat blue or red color IMO.

4. Slothboy

Slothboy Nick

To really bring out the detail in this mold you're definately going to be doing a lot of highlighting! As mampy said, the blue for the robot parts needs to be darker. I'd suggest Games Workshop's midnight blue (very dark) and then build up highlights with cointiually lighter shades of blue. It'l look a lot richer then.
    Best of luck! :) 

5. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

I suggest using a dark metallic blue for the blue parts.

6. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

That looks great.

I recently started a custom of this same base figure but mine went (IMO) pretty badly. I might try something similar to this.

7. Lucario Prime

Lucario Prime is a Lucario Prime is...

News Credits:
    You should outline the fur (hair) with a dark matte grey.

8. LemonPrime

News Credits:
    Thanks for the great feedback, everybody! I'll eventually finish him and will post (smaller) pictures. Thanks again.

9. Spurt Reynolds

Spurt Reynolds Puppet Show Justice!!

Great choice of mold to repaint & looking great so far.
    I was thinking about repainting this guy myself but opted for the Jungle planet megs instead.

10. LemonPrime

News Credits:
    I'd love to see what you could do with him! Thanks for the kind words.

11. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    For some reason I really want to paint this toy after seeing these pictures. Just looks like a fun toy to work on. If I can find one for a good price I think I'll be buying it

12. LemonPrime

News Credits:
    It has tons of potential, that's for sure, but he definitely demands a lot of prep work due to the contact/rub points. I thought I was being thorough (I usually just wash them and occasionally unscrew some parts) but this guy takes a lot of sanding and I ended up taking him almost completely apart. I look forward to seeing your take on it.

13. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    Well if I can get him and I can get my hands on a camera, Ill definitely take some pics. In the meantime, I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with this.