Heavy/Scratch: WIP: "Optimus!" Bionicle leader class Shockwave

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Tyrannosaur, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

Thought I'd jump on the bandwagon with everyone making their own leader class Shockwaves, but go a different route.
    Since I'm still a newbie at customizing transformers, and I lack $$$ to buy figures to use as parts, I figured "Hey, why not build one out of Bionicle parts?"
    So I planned it out in my head and started building. Well, not actually build but just grab pieces and attach them together :lol  then sort the whole mess out afterwards. It's not entirely accurate to the CGI model but I integrated a few elements from it while throwing in some of my own ideas. I did this all in 3 hours or so. 4 hours if you count finding all the pieces I need.

Things to note:
    -Does not transform
    -The chest and lower torso are two separate pieces, connected by limb joints from the waist to the shoulders.
    -Lower legs have pistons for stability, to also make Shockwave more stable I put rubber hoses going in and out of holes in this body to hold him together.
    -Going to super glue a few parts because they keep popping out when you move that certain area (One or two spots in each ankle, one in his cannon arm.)
    -Trying to find a way to give him light-piping also, have a few ideas but having difficulty putting them in.
    -Head still under construction. Any ideas what I should do because I'm stumped :( 
    -He will have those three turbines on his back like he had in the movie.

I wish there were purple Bionicle parts but the color scheme I have for him works fine too. Does anyone know if there are any purple Bionicles/Hero-Factory sets? If anyone can give me some ideas on how to build the head it would be greatly appreciated :D 

Full Body Shot
    [​IMG]

Head close up
    [​IMG]

A neat little idea I thought of :D 
    [​IMG]

Close up of cannon.
    [​IMG]

Back
    [​IMG]

Close-up on the back
    [​IMG]

Arm-blade
    His left hand only has two fingers at the moment, have the other two but still digging in my big ass Lego bin to find two more connectors to attach them. If I find more of those connector pieces I'll add a hand to his right arm.
    [​IMG]

Arm-blade full shot. It's 10" long, as tall as Leader Class Optimus himself!
    [​IMG]

Right leg (His right)
    [​IMG]

To bulk up his thighs I have these black wings I closed over the outside of them, They're on a hinge but I'm going to attach a hose onto each of them to keep them secure. Here it is open to see the leg construction, note the two pistons I have in place.
    [​IMG]

Arm cannon
    [​IMG]

Close up to show how the joints are kept in place to keep the cannon steady.
    [​IMG]

Yeah, he's pretty freaking big! I'd say that's accurate movie scale too.
    [​IMG]

I plan to create an alternate mode for him, something like a Cybertronian gunship. I guess you could say he's only a prototype/1st version, later on I'll find a way. For now I'm very satisfied with how he's coming out.

Comments, critiques, suggestions, etc. are all welcome. Thanks for taking a look!

Attached Files:

2. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

now that is how to do it when you lack funds. no stopping this guy^

3. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    Awesome!!!

4. legolas grof

legolas grof Cardboard Industries CEO

News Credits:
    sweetness!

5. Tyler Doom

Tyler Doom [WTCG] Dr PotterPoolPrime

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    That is effin awesome. i love bionicles almost as much as i love transformers (almost) like u i cant think of a head design right now( im making a lego leader dotm megatron that will transform) the head i tried to make looks like a freakin boulder. hey i agree with u about the colors, there original and great.

6. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

So I was working on him today and then another idea popped up:

I should totally make a movie-verse Grimlock out of Bionicles! :D  and I could easily find a way to give him both his T.rex and robot mode.
    But then I would have to disassemble 'ol Shocky here for parts :(  so it looks like I better by a shit ton more bionicles/hero-factory sets to avoid doing that. That will be my new project after this guy is done.

7. Tyler Doom

Tyler Doom [WTCG] Dr PotterPoolPrime

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Cant wait to see it man. grimlock was my favorite character as a teenager( me the teenager not grimlock)