Minor/Repaint: WIP No-Cut G1/Classics Ultra Magnus Hybrid

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by destrongerlupus, Apr 30, 2011.

1. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Inspired by G60's design I've finally started on my Classics Magnus.

I like the FP City Commander tooling very much, and am a proud owner of Powered Commander, but I have never felt that it really captured the Ultra Magnus character design very well, so an articulated set of G1 armor has always been my intent.

There's been a few really fabulous versions that involved serious mods that I wasn't feeling up for(I'll slice and dice with the best of 'em, but I didn't want to F-up any more G1 Magni than necessary!), then G60 came along with his great approach!

I've taken most of the ideas from his, tweaked a few of them to my own tastes, and started scratch-building some key parts to make the whole thing nice and stable. Old fashioned fabrication for the prototype, but I'm planning on knocking up some Shapeways prints for the final parts so I can have some nice clean pieces and can share them with anyone else who likes the approach.

Anyway, without further rambling, my WIP:

Update:
    [​IMG]

Update: New Torso Design:
    [​IMG]

V.1 Chest Compartment:
    [​IMG]

MAGNUS STOMPTM Boot Connectors:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    AWESOME!!!!.... I like that you are incorporating shapeways...
    since when I started my WIP I didn't even know about shapeways :D  hehe
    look great already, would love some colored WIP shots though!
    My magnus should be arriving in 1or2 week tops so I can finally finish this one up
    we could share some more ideas, wadcha think?

(thnx for the credits!)

3. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    Color pic per your request, I was avoiding color intially because the Magnus I'm working with is in kind of rough shape and I haven't cleaned him up yet, so pardon the dust :eek: 

[​IMG]

Anyway, refined my shoulder-mount connections (this is V3 and I'm pretty happy w/ them, this is the version I'll attempt to replicate via Shapeways)

A number of open issues, including:

Head Mount
    Waist-Plate Mount
    Boot Attachment

But the one I'm struggling with most is working out a way to get Little-Magnus's elbow joints to not bow-outward under the weight of the Ultra-Arms. They're just friction joints and they're not stiff enough to support the arms.

I've build two different types of braces (one clips on over his forearm & wheel against the back, and the other, which works marginally better, pegs into the fist and also into the screw-hole of his shoulder), both of them are strong enough to get him to hold together (as seen above), but neither is as solid or clean as I would like :/

OTOH I'm super pleased with the look of the Energon-Tank-Weapon connectors, as they look very Smoke-stack'y IMO, and I hope to mount them in vehicle mode too, just to differentiate Magnus and Prime that much more.

On yours, I can't tell WHERE the shoulder-connectors are attached, I assume you're pegging into the fists somehow, but I can't tell from the pics...

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on my approach v. your approach :) 

D/L

Attached Files:

4. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

wow that is something special. way to go

5. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    Credit goes to G60 for the original design-concept,but I'm doing a few things a bit differently (I-Gear's head and accessories for one.) Hopefully if my plan to Shapeways-print the key parts works, this can become an easy DIY for anyone that can't or doesn't want to get a City Commander :) 

D/L

6. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    Update:

Stepped back and re-evaluated all the connection point options and realized that in a classic KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) moment, there was a very very effective way to bind the torso pieces all together in perfect lock step.

A few moments of scratch building later and bingo:

[​IMG]
    I LOVE what this did to his proportions, he looks solid and beefy now, and I couldn't be happier!

The only sacrifice was that I had to lose the Wind-vane-chest-shield attachment scheme, but that's cool, I may end up deciding to ditch the vane all together as Magnus will look more retro in truck mode that way.

Now the torso has a HUGE amount of space to work with, and since I have to build up an attachment point for the chest plate anyway I am now TOTALLY thinking Matrix-compartment...

D/L

7. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    I can't wait to see this finished, I love this idea.

8. shinobi77

shinobi77 Fatbastard

Ebay:
    man this is awesome. G60, sometimes your projects are so full of WTF I wonder what you are thinking, and then something like this comes around. I was trying to figure out how to configure the cab in such away to do my own magnus, and her it is, right in front of me.....

man I'm glad I keep surfing radicons.....

DL, I can't wait to see this done.

9. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    looking good......

10. G60Force

Ebay:
    Heheh no worries... I'll share all my secret's
    as soon as I get back to work on the project!! :D 

but DL's versie here, has motivated me to get back on track :p 

So DL I'll show you my shoulder mounts today or the next.. give me time ;) 

11. Sabrina_Ng

Sabrina_Ng La Femme Fatale

Ebay:
    Nicely done Eric! I like how u've incorporated the arms to the main body. I can imagine the uphill task ur gonna face to perfect the torso...Anyway...man...if this kind of talent keeps up, I'll be out of part time work! :) 

12. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    Thanks guys!

Take your time :)  I'm actually pretty much settled on the design I'm using now, but I'll still be curious to see how you worked yours out.

A compliment from a master like you is very flattering, Sabrina :) 

Now that I've got the basic torso STRUCTURE sorted out filling in the open space with matrix-chest-compartment greebles is going to be pretty easy from here :) 

And no worries, I can build pretty well, I can can knock-out a decent drybrushed paintjob, but I'll NEVER be able to do the candy-coat paint work that you do...and I'm addicted to that paint :) 

D/L

13. Giga Leo

Giga Leo I know and you know...

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Neat, the updated torso is like night and day :thumbs2:  How big is he turning out, I don't suppose we can get some side by side shots with Prime?

14. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    Sure can! Now naturally I don't OWN a Voyager Prime, because I'm a design-fussy-pants, but I'll pose him up with DIA Commander and Sabby's Blue Powered-sans-armor-Convoy when I get home.

My Magnus is turning out to feel like a huge beast compared to the rest of his kin...which I'm loving :) 

15. G60Force

Ebay:
    yeah he feel big to me as well but there's no way around due to the arms to stay slithly proportionate with the rest :p 

still couldn't work on mine today I've been sorting at my lego's for flippin' 3day straight it's giving my a bl**dy headache :D 

so it almost night... and I think I can start working on magnus when I wake up...

after seeing your updates it makes me wanna go all out again on mine ;) 

16. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    Double Inspiration Feedback Loop Combining Powers GO!

It'll be really interesting to see how each of our projects evolve and where we each land :) 
    D/L

17. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Holy ---!

That's an amazing Ultra Magnus custom.

18. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    Thanks! I couldn't be more pleased at this stage!

Again, mad props to G60 for working out the core concept!

Per my buddy's request, a size comparison shot:

[​IMG]

Macro-mode + dodgy-lighting + too lazy to break out the tripod = well, yeach...but you can tell how big he is :) 

D/L

Attached Files:

19. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    I'm on a roll!

Chest-shield-mount/Matrix Compartment v.1
    [​IMG]

In principle it worked as I hoped, plenty of room, but my quick-and dirty hinge didn't *quite* leave me room to have the matrix sit as pretty as I originally planned, it's just like the Movie now where he can't quite get it to fit right :) 

Going to have this part, the shoulder-binders, and the head mount all be one solid piece that fill in the upper torso when I get to my final design.

Next up, I'm going to work out the boot-attachments, it's getting very annoying having him slip out of his shoes and making the whole mess come apart every ten minutes ;) 

G60- Is yours just standing on the boot-platforms? Yours sits a little lower, and from the pics, it kind of looks like that's what you've got so far.... If you've worked out a proper attachment point, that's my current point of interest :) 

Attached Files:

20. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

I like a custom that can take a good staring, this is full of promise, he'll be immense when he's done, love G1 Magnus, so this is exactly my kind of thing! He looks powerful!