Minor/Repaint: WIP - Never a Decepticon, not always an Autobot

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by CookSux, May 19, 2010.

1. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Updates:
    Post #11 (10/01/10)
    Post #09 (05/21/10)

Hello Radicons, I didn't want to pollute this site with this, but I need all the help I can get. Yes, I'm setting forth to work on my first TF Custom, and knowing my work habit, I'll probably not even finish this. Regardless, I present Repugnus. Why I chose to do this? I have no clue. There are other toys I'd much rather make, but Sculpt-Bot's Monsterbots inspired me a lot and I always wanted to see him get Repugnus out as well (which is probably in the making as we speak).

[​IMG]
    I didn't really do much except take this fellow apart. Pardon the overcrowded work area.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Besides drafting up minor blue prints, one of the first modifications I've made was with the head. I figure it's a lot easier to tackle minor things first, and adding a ball joint to the head was the first thing I'd want to do. Used Aves Apoxie sculpt to plug the screw hole and keep the joint in place.

[​IMG]
    Now here's my main hurdle. I want free moving arms, both in robot and alt modes, but these pegs are blocking the arms. I can't wrap my head around a solution, and am afraid that I may have to make a sacrifice, but won't commit to anything until I figure it out.

Mods to do:
    -Shave head casing, and modify/build helmet (this will allow more clearance in moving the head)
    -Trim down collar mount, to allow head to nod without blocking
    -Mount head to collar

Attached Files:

2. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

So far so good !

3. Houndvoice

Houndvoice Well-Known Member

Interesting! GL with the mod :thumbs2: 

4. bellyboy

bellyboy working working working

News Credits:
    nice
    clean work on the head

all u nned to do for the arms is to cut those pegs (if i remember correctly they had a ratcheting mech to them ) and u can do exactly what u did with the head ,place the ball joint check for all the clearence issues and thats all .
    how to cut the pegs ? u can do that with a Dremel tool and if u dont have one so u can bite on them slowly with a clipper ...

glad u tackled this one , one of the best tf ever :) 

5. CookSux

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks sir, hopefully the next update is proper.

I've been doing my research and I haven't had any fortune on finding any other G1 Repugnus articulation mods. Hopefully I'll finish, but this is a lot harder than I had originally imagined.

Thanks bellyboy. BTW I like what you've been doing with your Squeezeplay, we're definitely dealing with the same era of TF toys at the moment. Since posting this I've shaved the head down quite a bit so that I may resculpt some of it, perhaps should have kept it the way it was.

My Dremel is the only reason I was able to get anything done, but yah adding ball joints was the first solution I had come up with, though I'm wondering if there's any way to have robot mode's arms stick up straight rather than splayed since the alt mode arms would be in the way.

Repugnus is definitely a challenge for me. I wonder why I chose something so hard to do first. He was the only Monsterbot that I had owned when I was a kid, and it's only fitting that I reacquired another one to have it fit in with my modern collection. Hopefully I can do this justice.

6. bellyboy

News Credits:
    man
    trial and error will b your best friends soon
    with the arms - u can find some junker bots and see which parts will fit maybe making him more classic look then g1

but still its a good start

does the spark mech works ?
    will u b interested in installing LED's? in the bug eyes?

7. Sculpt-bot

Sculpt-bot So waddya want, a medal?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looking really good so far! Bellyboy nailed it with the arm solution. Just need to mount some ball joints in replacement of the posts you have there, with corresponding attachments mounted on the actual arms themselves. Best thing for cutting them off would be an exacto razor saw. They work great for nice smooth controlled cuts.
    I am glad my guys were some inspiration to do this! I look forward to seeing your take on him. I have yet to be able to find a good deal on a junker Repugnus yet, but will do him once I track one down.

8. CookSux

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yah, I'm lookin through my odds and ends and planning on either giving it the articulated G1 look, or more a Classics hybrid approach.

The spark mech still works, but it may be one of the things i have to sacrifice since I want its insect head to be movable. The spark mechanism is pretty big, and actually goes into the torso cavity... meaning if I keep it, it won't move. I thought about LEDs for the eyes as well, but decided for forego that and just sculpt more detail into that head. Once again, it's all up in the air at the moment so I might change my mind.

First off Sculpt, I'd like to say that your customs are inspiring. Been following your stuff for a while, and your DoubleCross was my muse. Also, getting all three for myself was no cheap venture.

9. CookSux

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Did a little bit more work on this baby, and since I was too impatient for a huge update, here's what I got done so far.

[​IMG]

Done:
    -Shaved down the side of the head to not only allow more head movement/clearance, but make it look like an actual helmet.
    -Started sculpting details to make it look similar to the IDW version.

Next up
    -Still need to add more details to the side/top of the helmet
    -Sand down the applied sculpt to desired shape

I do notice that this creates the problem of how to keep the head hidden when in alt mode without exposing too many gaps. I figure I'll solve one problem at a time (I lack foresight)

10. bellyboy

News Credits:
    keep on posting those wip shots

the new sculpt looks good !!

11. CookSux

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thank you sir. I know it took a while, but I've been super busy to make any progress on this thing. It's been sitting on the corner of my desk for months. Buuut, since I'm sick, I went ahead and started working on this bad boy.

At this point I think I'm practically finished with the head. It's not exactly perfect, but I didn't want to resculpt too much. Just exaggerate some proportions to look closer to the badass that he was in the Maximum Dinobots comic.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Still not satisfied with the sides, gotta fix up the ear muffs. He can turn his head side to side, but I don't know if I want to go through the hassle (and can't figure out how) to make his head look up and down without making sacrifices. At this point, even his torso assembly just looks too bulky to me. Wondering if I have to make a new robot mode altogether rather than just upgrading his G1 toy.

12. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    i have absolutely no clue what this robot is or looks like when you started...but like the face!

13. Alteron_Sheng

Alteron_Sheng 'Tis an Kitbasher & Elder TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Okay I just want to mention that I LOVE Repugnus as a character and while he was a g1 brick, I loved the idea of the monster-formers^^

I love the update you did to his head it really makes it look like a helmet now.

You could look at toys in the same size range that have a vaguely simular transformation sequence. One thing you could perhaps do is replace his legs. I'm not sure how big Repugnus is.
    However if I were to make him into a voyager class toy...
    Hmm, I'd probably mod the robot mode legs of a Bayverse Ratchet for the knee joint and the way the foot folds up so neatly. there's also space at the heel to add a ball joint for the BM foot that would be held agasint the back of the leg in robot mode. the rotating thigh would allow you to reverse the knees very easily.
    Still using the movie Ratchet mold....
    Take off his wheels and mod the arms so that both hands can fold into the upper arms and the arms will fold up where the wheels currently are. Have the insect head on the 'undercarriage' segment that hides Ratchet's head in car mode (actually if you change the hinge to a centrally located ball joint you could have the inside of the 'neck' of the insect head hollow and have the neck facing Repugnus' back in 'robot mode'.
    the neck being hollow will let you have a ball joint for the insect head as well. If you use savio-prime's 07 Ratchet modification for the chest so that it can 'flip and rotate' that'll help differentiate the robot and monster modes as well.
    Just a tossing some thoughts out there for you, if you decide to use a different toy for him

14. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

When I was thinking about modding a Repugnus, I had Energon Optimus Prime's legs in mind. They have that sliding shin action that could let you have spindly monster legs with big bulky thighs as well as normally proportioned robot legs.