Heavy/Scratch: WIP: Needlenose

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Hooper_X, May 13, 2009.

1. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

WIP: Needlenose *UPDATED 5/19*

Continuing my theme of "guys nobody remembers or cares about," I was suddenly overwhelmed with the desire to turn my leftover pile of Starscream and Ramjet parts into somebody. That somebody just so turned out to be Needlenose. I found one of his TM partners in a box and gave him one of Spinister's, so he'd have a matched set.

Anyway, he's looking OK thus far. The helmet is from the original Needlenose toy, with a magnet glued inside so it sticks to Starscream's heavily cut down noggin. I drove a screw into the top of his head for the magnet to latch on to, and the entire helmet stashes comfortably in his jet mode's chest cavity. I've still got to add the face-mask to the robot head, a single tail-fin to the jet mode, and then I'm going to try and resculpt the chest to be more like the original toy - by which I mean I'm cutting the original toy chest apart and trying to mount it on Starscream. We'll see how well it works. I'm also working out the color layout for the finished toy - and yes, he's supposed to have that pink on him.

I'm hoping to eventually recreate all three Decepticon Double Targetmasters. I've got some plans lined up for Quake, and I'm still figuring out where to begin with Spinister - his transformation is kind of idiosyncratic.

UPDATE: Added two more pics. I'm just about done modding. There's a little bit of puttying to be done and a fair bit of sanding, but other than that, he's almost ready for painting.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  2. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

great idea, cant wait to see it completed

3. chansformers

chansformers butcher of the bots

News Credits:
    x2:p 

4. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Very cool.

5. Phoenix Prime

Phoenix Prime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    sounds awesome, but the carving up of a G1 toy (even Needlenose) hurts me in places that do not normally see the light of day

LOL

Cannot wait to see the finished product though

6. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

Heh heh. One of my friends had the same reaction. "So you're cutting up a perfectly good Needlenose to make a weird frankenstein out of Starscream?"

Yes. Yes, I am. For what it's worth, he was pretty yellowed, his paint was chipped, his tailfin wouldn't stay up, and his stickers were mostly worn off, so it's not like I wrecked an MOSC pristine example or anything.

7. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I think you should make you own chest. For one thing, you're making a "Classics" version, not a G1 toy, and so you want more detailing than the original had. Plus you can make it recognizable while still being a new updated-look. I'm wondering why you didn't just glue the helmet onto the head instead of using a screw and magnet?

8. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

I'd love to sculpt from scratch, but that's a little beyond my pay grade at this point. Besides, since I posted this I've already ground the chest down - it actually looks really striking. there's a fair bit of detail there that you wouldn't expect.

The helmet is detachable because otherwise the plane mode just wasn't going to work - either you have two big hunks of helmet sticking out of the side of the plane, or you have a detachable helmet and a reasonable-looking plane.

So it's kind of a balance, you know? Cool robot, cool plane, etc.

9. REDLINE

News Credits:
    ahh so it's too big to fit? that's a shame.

10. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

Yeah, it's too wide and too tall - I could cut a big chunk out of the plane's nosecone to accommodate it, but even then it'd stick out the sides. As is, I'm gonna probably have to styrene over the hole left by cutting back Starscream's head, but that's still leaving a more appealing jet mode than the alternative.

In fact, it barely wedges in there in robot mode - even after I cut the shoulder pylons way way down and gently shaved the sides back. His head can turn a little bit in either direction, or you can pop the hat off, turn the neck, and pop it back on. It's not that big of a deal IMHO because the transformation and the giant shoulder pylons restrict things as-is.

I'm thinking about building the back of the jet mode up with parts from a Titanium Seeker - that entire thruster/tailfin assembly that ends up on the toy's back, turn it into a combo of engine cowling and of course, the tailfin. We'll see.

In retrospect, you could probably get a better Needlenose out of a different mold, but I'll be dipped if I can figure out which one. A reshelled Armada Thrust might be a good start.

11. drmick

drmick Well-Known Member

12. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

Heh. I've got my own set of plans for Spinister too. don't worry.

BRIEF UPDATE: I've gotten some work done over the last few days - the chest is mounted and looks pretty good. I cut down the tail fins and worked on adding his single rear fin, have to wait for the glue to set before i can take more pictures, though. We'll see what happens, but he looks to be coming along nicely. the next steps are touchup with putty, then final sanding and painting.

13. drmick

drmick Well-Known Member

I'm intrigued by your Spinister plans. As far as I can tell I've been the only person to get one "out there". Which base figure are you going to use?

On the Needlenose front, I'm trying to get all of Thunderwing's crew from Matrix Quest, so I might start on a Windsweeper before Needlenose (again using an Acid Storm).

14. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Excellent idea. I always liked Needlenose so I'll be very interested to see how this turns out.

15. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

I was actually thinking about heavily modding my original Spinister - he's got a broken rotor and his tail assembly is kind of floppy, so it's either fix him or kitbash him into something nicer. I mean, I'd probably end up heavily heavily working him over, but on paper he'd be based on Spinister parts.

The real sticker is the relative size; he's roughly between a Basic and a Deluxe in height. My other idea was to reshell a model of an Apache onto some random toy that's roughly the right transformation and go from there - I kind of like the Energon Strongarm mold for it.

16. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

A gratuitous bump - I posted the latest modifications above. I got a little side tracked, because I started working on a DIFFERENT ridiculous reshell of an obscure G1 character.

I think I'm gonna need another RiD Wedge...

17. REDLINE

News Credits:
    looking good so far

18. wasp819

wasp819 L-I-V-I-N

Ebay:
    this is coming along nice, threads not been updated in awhile tho, is hooper x still working on this one??

19. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

Oh wow, yeah. Between having a kid and starting a new job, I haven't really had time to work on much of anything in the last four-five months. Soonish?

20. Joey_Santana

Joey_Santana Shockwave fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    These seeker molds are quite versatile, you are doing a great work on this one.