Minor/Repaint: WIP-My First Repaint-Alt Trailbreaker

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by NeilJam, Aug 10, 2006.

1. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

Finally got started on my first repaint this week. Making a Trailbreaker Alternator by modifying Nemesis Prime. I know it's a simple project compared to many I've seen, but it's my first shot at this:

Took a head from a cheap Swindle:
    [​IMG]

Painted upper legs and sanded the bed around where the go in:
    [​IMG]

Work area:
    [​IMG]

Sneak peak (arms are drying):
    [​IMG]

I was surprised at how close the red paint I got is to the red tint in the windows. Still have to figure out how I'll get Swindle's head on this. I've read about building up the post with super glue and/or clear nail polish but haven't tried it yet. Also saw something about taking the post from one and putting it on another but don't remember what all that involved.

2. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looking good so far...

3. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    Please tell me that's not a Nemesis Prime. You're gonna make a lotta people cry, myself included. Looks like it's gonna turn out good, though.

4. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    It's a Nemesis Prime, you can tell by the red windows. As for the head, I hear that you need something more, like epoxy putty, because the neck on the prime mode is a lot smaller than the one on Swindle

5. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

6. NeilJam

Just about done except for getting the Autobot stickers from Reprolabels. (For those who have ordered from them, how long do orders normally take?).

I did not switch the head posts around. I attatched Swindle's head by cutting a small notch in the bottom, even took some off the bottom of the back of the head:
    [​IMG]

The head does not have to be removed or even turned around to transform:
    [​IMG]

Here's a partial shot with the head on. The Forcefield Generator is from a Commemorative series Hoist. Just had to shave a tiny bit around the screw hole on the back of the head to get it to sit there, it's not very secure though:
    [​IMG]

7. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Now that's awesome. The people demand full-body shots!

And off-topic, does anybody else find it odd that the kit-bashing forum is a sub-set of the Mint-in-sealed-box forums? :p 

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    This may be very minor, but I really like how you painted the insides of the force field generator. Nice work with that and overall he's lookin' nice!

I have to say, however, despite some of the great work being done to make TB out of the Nemesis Prime mold, I still like the original Binaltech design of him as a Jeep. I don't know that I can really explain it (I'm really a big fan of the orignal Binaltech designs [ref.: Binaltech Guide], the fact that the Jeep mold and head sculp was originally inteded for TB, and the fact [I guess] that the Jeep Wrangler is advertised as a rugged vehicle.).

Despite my own personal feelings, a lot of you guys (like you, NeilJam, and VP [who still continues to inspire me) are really making some nice work using this character. My hat's off to all of you guys! Super work!

. . . by the way "NeilJam," would you perhaps be a NEIL Young and a Pearl JAM fan? Just curious, because PJ has always been my favorite rock band . . .

9. NeilJam

Can't take credit for painting the inside of the generator, that's how it came from the factory. I also like the Binaltech jeep design, but personally feel the Dodge Ram mold fits TB better. I'm still thinking about what to do with the rest of Swindle. I'm just starting out here and plan a total repaint for my next project. Hopefully it will come out as good. I'm just learning as I go.

Yes, I am a big fan of Neil Young and especially Pearl Jam. I've seen PJ live 31 times, and at one show (Toledo 2004) Neil made a surprise appearance to play with them.

Cheebs - I'll post the full shots once he has the right faction logos on him. I guess I never really noticed that this forum falls under MISB. It is kinda weird.

10. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    Looking good. I'm waiting on a custom head to arrive for mine.

11. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

I have a question about the putty method (since I am working on a TB too and will soon need to solve this issue myself). In Sculpt-bot's tutorial, the "putty" he uses is Sculpey. I've worked with Sculpey a lot, and to harden it you have to bake it at 275 degrees F. Will the Swindle head stand up to this heat? Or, do you mold the Sculpey to the right shape, then extract it from the head and bake it separately?

Thanks all!

Oh, and this custom is looking really good! I hope I can make mine work half as well! Nice job, and thanks for the inspiration!