Non-TF: WIP - Lion Shield for 16in. Legendary Voltron

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by GAUGE, Feb 9, 2017.

1. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    This is a WIP for now.

Gauge Custom Voltron Legendary Defender Shield.png

So, I wanted to try my hand at making a show accurate shield for the new Playmates 16-in. combining Voltron.
    I admit I don't have the patience to see if some random fan is gonna make one to sell to all us other fans. XD

So, I went out and bought the 14-in. Ultimate poseable Voltron also made by Playates so I could use those back wings for the Shield Build.

I also bough a cheap $6.00 Sterilite Case Divider. why? Because it's soooooo much cheaper than buying a 2 mm thick 12-in. x 16-in. sheet of Translucent Blue Plastic. XD

Either way I'm going to end up cutting them up so I'd rather save a bit of cash.

Please stay tuned. the image here is just a placeholder for now.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  2. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    *Reserved*

3. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    interested to see what you come up with since i just completed my voltron today

• Like Like x 1
  4. jbvirus

jbvirus Autobot

Sweet! Looking forward to this one.

5. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    Since I've never done anything like this before I'm trying to approach it carefully. XD

instead of having a handle for green lion to hold, I think I'm gonna have it so that it pegs into the same hole that Cannon accessory of his plugs into.

Not sure yet. also, debating if I'm gonna have 1 solid cut out translucent blue plastic piece, or if I'm gonna cut it up the same way the show has it where it's actually 5 pieces.

what's the best way to cut up the plastic? with a exactoknife? hacksaw blade?

6. Bandobras

Bandobras Distracticon

Watching.
    Also, I heard the wings on Ultimate Voltron are actually bigger than on Legendary, and that they use the same connectors... Is this true?

7. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    yes it's true. though the grey pieces are just a tad different from each set, they both fit into either black lion back perfectly.

I'm making the shield using the 14inch voltron's back wings. due to the shield in the show being the same height as voltron himself.

Also, going to make the super long sword Blade he's got in season 2.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Hm hadn't heard that the articulated voltron wings were bigger, gives me a further reason to get him and swap the wings

• Like Like x 1
  9. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    if you ARE going to make a shield, making it for the Ultimate Voltron is the way to go. Due to How much more articulation he's got compared to the larger 16inch. one

reference images are in first post.

this shot here really shows the scale. It's based from what's referred to as a Door Shield.
    Screenshot_5.jpg

10. bman29

bman29 Dancitron

Ebay:
    Yeah after reading here I looked at the wings and how they peg in and I was pleasantly surprised that they did attach the same way between the two figures. Which made me think they maybe meant to do this on some weird level. Just strange the 16" figure came with the shorter wings compared to the more articulated 14" Voltron. Maybe from a packaging reasons.

I look forward to your shield and sword offerings. I'm thinking of making the longer sword out of a recent third party combiner wars Optimus/Motormaster upgrade kit that came with a translucent blue blade of similar scale. Or I'll just do styrene and paint it in the baby blue.

Cheers.

11. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    this is the design I'm going to work off of. So I'll be going on this for precise measurements and such. I'm thinking more and more I think I'm gonna go ahead and completely start from scratch. and get some Styrine sheets. may end up being more lightweight as well in the long run.

Gauge Custom Voltron Legendary Defender Shield.png

• Like Like x 1
  12. bman29

bman29 Dancitron

Ebay:
    Looking at this template you could in theory do it in sections where they have the lighter blue at the joints. Or just cut one or two pieces framed around the wings and just paint the joints in light blue simulating the joints. Depends how ambitious you want to be.

13. PaperSheep

PaperSheep Well-Known Member

Thank you for the template. Here's where I am so far trying to use the existing wings on the combiner voltron. I'll post a test shot on r/voltron.

It needs to be better connected with the wings and the center needs to be filled in somehow. So far I really like the look.

20170223_012420.jpg 20170223_012458.jpg 20170223_013659.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  14. Deathhowl

Deathhowl Well-Known Member

Dude, you got an update on this. looks sweet

15. minsok

minsok Well-Known Member

I'll probably be using that template to make my own with my 16" Voltron. The wings are probably smaller to scale with the black lion better. The lions seemed to be the priority on that figure. I'm going to use a blue clipboard for the clear effect, though.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SHADDO

SHADDO Arashikage Decepticon

I have the sword you're referring to, from the SND Primo Vitalis upgrade kit for Optimus Prime, and though it is large, it's WAY too small to effectively work with the Voltron figure itself. It could work with any of the individual lions IF they had a bot mode, but it's too tiny for Voltron, especially the bigger 16" version.

(I happened to have my Voltron facing off with the 24"×36+" Godzilla, and Optimus Prime is standing beside him with his sword and rifle in hand, until I get him relocated elsewhere...and the sword is tiny with Voltron, especially compared to his actual sword.)

• Like Like x 1