Minor/Repaint: WIP Jhiaxus repaint

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Detour, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Detour

Detour TFWiki.net, use it!

News Credits:
    I started this custom about a month ago... going about it slowly because it's my first one and considering how much these guys cost in Canada I don't want to screw it up and have to buy another one to start over...
    [​IMG]
    The idea for the custom came to me a while back when I went to check out the Star Wars Transformers to see if anything was good for a custom.. Emperor Palpitatingovaltine's package art just screamed JHIAXUS to me, but I passed it on partly because I felt it was kind of expensive at the time, and also because I hadn't heard ANY good things about the SWTFs. After hearing some people talk about the toy I decided to give it a shot.
    I have the helmet, eyes and torso painted... he's kind of on hold right now, not because I'm lazy but because I want to find a chip-proof way to color his wings green. If anyone has any suggestions I would LOVE to hear them.
    I'm also trying to figure out how to spread out the colors on the toy so they work well in both robot and vehicle modes. This would be easier if I had access to his coloring chart or something that I could digitally color and see how it looks before I start painting...

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I would just lightly sand down around the areas of that double-hinge, or any other spots that you see rubbing, before you paint anything else. Doing that frees up space for the paint to occupy so there won't be excessive rubbing of the painted parts, which means reducing/eliminating paint wear.

3. Detour

News Credits:
    But wouldn't that make them looser since there isn't as much friction involved? Those wings are already weak enough as it is...

4. Lord Megatron

Lord Megatron FFFF

Most people disassemble the transformer before painting it.

5. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Wow... good call on Jhiaxus. When I looked at your picture, my first reaction was "Whoa... a custom sculpt... but why does it seem familiar?" Then I recognized the rest of the mold. :) 

He's already white, right? How about dyeing the wings green?

(edit: Montreal REPRESENT!! :)  )

zmog

6. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

yeah take em apart first but great idea.

7. manyoufactsure

manyoufactsure Maximal TFW2005 Supporter

Definetly use dye but be careful not to get it too dark. Then you won't have to sand down the joints and worry about looseness. (unless it warps, be carefull)

I guess it would work for Jhiaxus but I'm planning on using that mold for Pre-earth Depth Charge. I might have a hard time finding an appropriate head of that size.??

Good luck

8. Detour

News Credits:
    Haha, like I said I was looking at his boxart and it just screamed Jhiaxus.

Lucky for me thanks to my two years of customizing GIJoes I've gotten pretty good with dye. Ironically the only problem I've ever had with it was when I used "Forest Green" to dye two figures and they turned out practically black.. :eek: 
    I guess I just need to look for a lighter shade and pray for the best. As far as the warping goes, I always use a strainer and dye at low temperatures. Longer process, less risk of warping.

As for taking him apart, I just don't see the point here. All I have to repaint is mostly detail areas, with a brush. I'm used to painting tiny details on GIJoes so painting a big Transformer is a piece of cake. Do I really need to take him apart to paint, say, the gunmetal parts on his waist green?

Anyway, thanks for the compliments guys. I really hope he turns out good.
    After this I have to get started on customizing a blue ARC-170 guy I got on sale into... I dunno, some guy.

9. AutobotSDG

AutobotSDG Well-Known Member

Good call! I saw the same thing and been working on my own for some time as well.

For the wings, I just used the Dark Green Krylon Fusion spray paint. Disassemble, spray it, let it sit. the longer you let it sit, the better adhesion the paint gets on the plastic. I actually let mine sit for about a week and they fold perfectly fine with now scratching/rubbing. I didn't sand anything first either.

Having some issue with the elbow joints not taking the paint at all. I'm not good at dyeing figures... then again I haven't practiced a lot either... but the few figures I have done, didn't really turn out too well hahaha.

10. Detour

News Credits:
    Hm, problem is I've never ever tried to remove a pin from a TF. Kind of afraid I'll screw it up. I'm clumsy by nature.

Krylon is good? I've never tried spraypaint and results seem to vary.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who had the idea. Got any pics of yours? Curious to see your take on it.

11. REDLINE

News Credits:
    krylon FUSION is made specifically for painting plastics. its awesome. after a week, its extremely tough, chip resistant.

12. AutobotSDG

Removing pins can be a bit of a pain, but with practice a hammer and small finishing nail can be a good friend :) 

Krylon is very good. Redline already covered that though.

I do not have any pics currently, but I will definately get some together (probably not until this weekend) and show them to you. Keep in mind it is still sitting in pieces... lol.

13. REDLINE

News Credits:
    hey, ASDG, you still workin' on that old Alt custom? ;) 

At first I used a finishing nail, but then I went and bought a 1/16th punch. that punch only lasted me about 9 months before I broke it :( 

14. AutobotSDG

Umm... yeah... :redface2: 

I get some done, hit a snag, get frustrated and put it to the side and work on something else for a bit. It's a vicious cycle and has been going on for way too long, lol

Doesn't help that my schedule keeps changing and the time I get to spend on customs keeps changing too.

I dream of being like Jin where one custom would net me enough money for rent so I wouldn't have to keep working so much, hahaha.

So as to not derail this thread too much more, lol.

I used to use a punch on the pins as well until the same thing happened to me. I have since found a tool called a spring loaded center punch. No hammer needed, just push it into the pin and when it reaches a certain point the spring kicks the punch back out with enough force to push the pin out enough to grab it with some pliers. Here is a link to one similar to the one I have: Spring Loaded Center Punch You should get one, they are so awesome for removing pins.

This should probably be in the kitbasher's guide huh? lol

I wish

15. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    It doesn't have to be sprayed. Just spray the can into a little container and paint by hand, dipping the brush into said container when necessary.

16. REDLINE

News Credits:

holy crap, I need one of those! that's awesome. thanks for that... and yes it should be, put it in there!

As for the snags, maybe you could send Lobo a message? hehe He's a cool sunagun, and certainly is the guy with the answers!

17. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Nice!

18. Detour

News Credits:
    Well, I've decided to go with dye, partly because I'm more familiar with the technique and partly because those little guns on the wings are attached by rivets, which I have noooooooooo idea how to remove...

Unfortunately my budget this month is pretty much spent so I'll have to wait till next month to get to it.
    Damn unexpected expenses.