Heavy/Scratch: WIP Hearts of Steel Shockwave

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Boggs6ft7, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

This is something I have been working off and on for the past two years. I keep coming back to it thinking I'm going to finish him and then something else comes up. I recently picked the project up again and I'm nearly finished designing him and have some parts built. I wanted to start posting pictures here every so often so that I don't unload all at once on the site.

I started this project for a few reasons. One, I really enjoyed the comic (except fo the ending), two I saw Lobo's Megatron and thought it was awesome, and lastly was Griffith76's HOS Optimus. I saw what Griffith76 had done and wanted to try the same thing with HOS Shockwave since it had not been tried yet. Before I go any further, I would like to say that Eric (Griffith76) has helped me tremendously lately in making my model look "right" He is a genuinely nice and helpful guy. I also want to say thanks to my buddy Disco who has seen this since the beginning and given me advice on what was working and what wasn't. In return I call his house leaving messages of me singing Air Supply songs. Its a nice arrangment we have worked out.

Apparently, I went about this the wrong way in designing this figure. I started with the boat form instead of the bot form. Eric infomed me this is the opposite way to go and looking back it would have saved me the headache I'm going through now in making his bot form look "right". I'm having some proportion problems, but it should work itself out.

This drawing was done in autocad and based mostly on the concept art that Guido did. There are only a handful of pages that have Shockwave, so some artistic liberty had to be taken. It was from this drawing that I based everything else. Quite a bit has changed since this drawing, but I'll post more later. When finsihed, he will stand about as tall as MP Prime.

I took my autocad drawings and then imported them into Solidworks to create my 3d parts. Solidworks is a very nice program, its also very expensive unless you are a student, and then its affordable. I did this for a while and got tired of designing the parts there, so I started building him out of styrene. I wasn't happy with my results and returned to the program. I'll post what I built soon.
    If this needs to be moved until I start putting my actual parts in, feel free.

3/1/09

Hopefully my WIP thread and the finished product will come together when this is all said and done. Right now I'm working on the foot transformation. Today I'm going to post a picture of the first piece I modeled. I thought I would start with the chest and work my way around that. When I made this, I had NO solidworks experience and this actually took me like six hours to make because I didn't know what I was doing. Now I could whip it up in like 15 minutes. At this point I was really burned out on Solidworks because I didn't fully understand how to use it.

3/10/09

Thought I would add some more today. My current work on the project is coming to a stand still while I work on grad school stuff <sigh>

After I worked on the chest, I moved down the boat to work on the left arm. Seeemed logical at the time. I was still learning solidworks and started to become really frustrated. It wasn't long after this that I started building parts out of styrene instead. I'll post those in my next update.

9/11/09

Realized I hadn't put anything in this thread for a while.

Added some more pictures of models I had done and part of the arm that I gave up on before I strictly went to trying to do all the computer modeling. Part of me feels like going back to styrene, its just so time consuming but until I hit the lottery and buy a rapid prototyper, I may have to complete the project that way.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  2. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

I heard that Lobo was thinking of doing this one once, and i have been drooling over the idea since. I can't wait to see how you pull this off, and this is a huge figure and a hell of a challenge. I'd shrivel in the challenge of building him. Good luck, and I am watching eagerly. You will make this rock.

3. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

wow man, I used solidworks for a few years, I could never get the hang of it.

This sounds like an awesome project and a great choice.

4. grock35

grock35 Hmmmm...

News Credits:
    I'll be looking forward to this

5. Bruticus82

Bruticus82 Well-Known Member

Keep it up. I'm sure you'll be able to work out the kinks and make a great Shockwave.

6. Lobo

Lobo Well-Known Member

Can't wait to see what you come up with, Boggs!

I started to design him and did some CAD work but I got stuck on the shoulder of the cannon arm. At the time, couldn't figure out how to make it all fit in both modes so I shelved the project, and went on to other things.

7. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    O.K....you definitely have my attention. I can not wait to see you make this!!

8. Boggs6ft7

I know what you are talking about (at least I think I do). Looking at him in both forms is obvious what goes where, but getting from A to B isn't as clear. I decided the best thing to do was to make the legs flip around instead of the chest and arms. Its going to make some horrible kibble underneath in ironclad form, but I'll deal with it. This will spend most of its time in bot form anyways.

9. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Boggs, you've always impressed me with your projects, man, and with Shockwave being my fav TF character, the two combine to give me a high interest in this one.

:(  I've been waiting patiently since you and I talked about you trying that project! I hope you re-visit it at a later date, bro.

10. Casil

Casil Member

11. Boggs6ft7

12. Cody2003

Cody2003 Well-Known Member

If it helps at all, I have several images of one of the models on my website from when I built it. :thumbs2: 

cbrockett.com

13. Boggs6ft7

I've seen those before as well, I think I found them on a google search. I didn't realize that you post here. What program did you use to make your model?

14. Cody2003

Cody2003 Well-Known Member

I lurk mostly. lol.

I use 3DS Max 9. I did this project several years ago while I was learning the program.

15. Boggs6ft7

Added an update.

16. Boggs6ft7

Small update, I'll probably have to space out my updates more if I'm going to finish him by the time of my last update.

17. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    you get 20 images man. and if you still need more, you can always start a new thread (like lobo did!)

18. Boggs6ft7

Oh I know. I'm just updating a little at a time while I try to finish him up. The idea was that by the time I get through the whole process, then the figure would be finished and I could show what all went into him.

19. Boggs6ft7

Small Update

20. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    looks good man, got my attention