Minor/Repaint: WIP: Generations Arcee Head

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Windswept, May 7, 2012.

1. Windswept

Windswept Active Member

Early WIP: Generations Arcee Head

Yes, I know what you're thinking. Another one of these? Why would anyone bother sculpting their own when there are already several great iterations on the market?

Mainly because yes, there will be a body to go with the head, and it will be explicitly based off Arcee's IDW incarnation. I'd like to get as close to the comic model as possible, and I've had a heck of a time trying to find one already cast that's what I'm looking for. That aside, I was also curious if it was even possible for the stock Animated head to be converted to Classics. I'll let you all be the judge on how successful that is.

Obviously, there's still much work to do, but I wanted to get some CC before I start refining and smoothing.

Attached Files:

2. deaculpa

deaculpa Seven Star Fist

News Credits:
    i like where this is going. tough to offer crits so early in, i would just say keep sanding to smooth it all out, and then rock on.

3. minsok

minsok Well-Known Member

That looks pretty good. That scale is too small for me to work with. I would recommend finalizing the face before you put any more work into the helmet and can't get to it any more and flipping your photos horizontal so you can see all the asymmetry going on. Upside down makes it easier to see flaws, too. You'll notice the IDW model has very minimal lips, nose, and chin, very "boyish" features and the helmet is tiny and rounded. There's a lot of tiny detail that's going to be really hard to capture. Good luck!

4. Primus_feather

Primus_feather Well-Known Member

agree'd, have you given any thought to having someone render it in 3D? maybe that way you can upload it to a Shapeways account, and with the right material you achieved all those "tiny details"..

5. Windswept

Windswept Active Member

Thanks for the comments everyone. Reminded me of some things I hadn't been thinking about while working.

Sanding it all down is the part that takes all the patience, doesn't it! Thanks for the advice, and I'll continually update as I make progress.

Thanks. I've sculpted before, but never on a scale this small. It makes me want to go pick up a magnivisor so I can really get up close. Flipping the photos is good advice, as is working on the face before the rest of the helmet. I see now that I need to sharpen some features, like her nose, and than minimize her lips.

It is a lot of detail, so much to the point that no matter how much I sculpt in, it might not even be visible at this point. Going through Shapeways had actually been my first option, but my 3D model capabilities are limited at best. Unless I can make more headway there, handsculpting is the way for now. I'll still try to get in as much detail as I can, but given the medium, I may be better off just going for a general likeness.