Heavy/Scratch: WIP/ G2 Laser Optimus Prime Sword!!!!!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Movie PRIME, May 5, 2011.

1. Movie PRIME

Movie PRIME Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Its finished now!

[​IMG]

It turns out I cant use it for what I really wanted to. The Light in G2 Optimus' hand is just not bright enough. :(  Even in the dark it only lit up to the second circle.

I can see some places I need to improve, but all in all I think I did pretty good for my first ever costume!

Below is my original post which includes a step, by step of how I did it if anyone has any pointers pleas feel free to help me get better! :) 

Ok so this is my first Transformers custom, and I wanted to share it with you guys step by step! :) 

It all started when I started looking for cool Swords that fit a 5mm hand hole, someone pointed out superhuman samurai syber-squad weapons to me, and I fell in LOVE with the Large Sword. Its the perfect melee weapon for Optimus, as its kind of a Sword, and an Axe in one.....the two weapons melee weapons Optimus is most seen with. So I went online, and found some!

Then last month I finally go an original G2 Laser Optimus Prime, and I thought to myself that this sword would look really good on him So I contacted Darkov to have the Sword Repoed in clear plastic. I sent him a payment for the mold, and for 3 Swords. They arrived today, and I could not be happier with them!

Here they are the one on the top is the original, the one on the bottom is the Repo

[​IMG]

So what is it that I'm going to do to them you ask? My plan is to pain everything, but the Sword's blade, the Axe's edge, the handle, and the two indentations in the middle of the circle gold. Then I will take so clear red paint I have, and paint the center of the circles with it.

This is where I have two questions.

1.) Dose anyone know a good way to mask off the intentions it the circles?

[​IMG]

2.) How would you mask off the circle at the base of the Sword's blade? I can mask strait lines, but the round ones are trowing me off a bit.

Thanks for looking, and for any advice you have!

Ok first I painted the holes in the center of the circles with the clear red paint I had. The I masked everything that I didn't want painted Gold. To mask the circle at the base of the blade I used thin strips of masking tape, and added them one by one each just slightly off set from the one before. Then I used my finger nail to push it back just a little making a circular shape.

[​IMG]

To mask the holes at the center of the circles I used painters putty, and rolled it up in to two small balls, then dropped them in the center (Not shown) Then after the Sword was painted all I had to do was roll them out!

Thanks
    Movie Prime

P.S. I have other weapons from superhuman samurai syber-squad set. I know that you guys are always on the look out for new parts so I thought Id list them here. I have no plans to sell them, or to have them Repoed, but if one of you guys want to pay Darkov to make a mold so you can get some for your custom I would be happy to ship them to him! :) 

Note it cost me $25 to have Darkov make the mold, and $7 a Sword.

1.) The Big Sword/Axe. Note Darkov already has the mold for this one!

2.) The Axe.

3.) The Sword.

4.) The Shield. Note you will need 5 to use it.

5.) The Shield's handle. Note it plugs into the bake of the shield, but could be used as a small Axe, or Hammer on its own!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  2. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    I miss Superhuman Samurai: Cyber Squad. I think we need a reboot.

3. Movie PRIME

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You know I never saw the show, but I can tell you that I do Love the look of there weapons!

4. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Trace the approximate circle size on to a piece if paper, then transfer to scotch tape, and cut with some scissors to make the mask.

5. chubchub

chubchub Member

YESS! SS:SS! I pulled these out of an old toy box for my drift, though I'm missing the axe. Also found a ronin warrior long sword. These are perfect for transformers!

6. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

That looks fantastic in the translucent red!! Want one.

7. Movie PRIME

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Updated!!!!!

I finished the Sword!

Let me know what you think, and any pointers you may have!

Thanks
    Movie Prime

8. domshen

domshen Radicon

This is awesome! Superhuman Samurai: Cyber Squad was a super cheesy show but the toys where AWESOME! It took me forever to find complete 12 in toys of the 3 robots :-D

9. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    for lighting up the right way.. I often sand the transparent plastic to make it a little dull/Flatt that way the light travels inside and bounces on the inside making it look lit up better since it spread the light and keeps it bundled... I've used this technique on cars... mainly homemade angel-eyes/taillight en dashboard dials... a warning first try on a demo piece and you will see what I mean ;) 

10. AE Overlord

AE Overlord AE Legend

Ebay:
    My son had these when he was little. I kept the axe and use it for display with Cybertron Optimus, but it makes one heck of a war axe for Classics Prime.

11. Forgotten_Prime

Forgotten_Prime Till All Are One

Have you thought of using fiber optic lighting? i know its a lot of work opening the arm an replacing the light but i promise it should work then.

12. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
  13. Movie PRIME

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I haven't tried yet, but I know that you can store Laser Primes original Sword in his trailer. So I think I can do the same with the new one. As for the Onslaught mold, I think the Sword/Axe will be to big, but I think you could store the Axe, or the Sword(#2, and #3 in the side by side pic) in the hollow between his legs when in vehicle mode. I can test it later if you want me to.

14. Movie PRIME

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah Id like to put a new briter white LED in his hand, but I want to get another copy of G2 Optimuse i.e. just the Robot/Truck Cab that way I don't ruin, my minty, and ONLY copy of the mold.

15. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Sure. Just let me know.

16. Movie PRIME

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ok like I thought the Big Sword/Axe (#1) looks good in his hand, but is to big to store on him. The Axe (#2) looks the best in this molds hand IMHO, but sadly is also to big to store on him The Sword (#3) dose store on him, but looks a little small in his hands.

I think your going to find it hard to find a weapon that both looks right in his hand, and can be stored on him in alt mode. Its just the way the mold folds up it doesn't really leave room for much.

17. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    So something that telescopes / fold up woul dbe in order. Hmmm...

Thanks for checking it out.

18. Movie PRIME

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah unless your ok with it not storing in alt mode. I never really cared about a weapon storing in alt mode myself as I display all my Transformers in Bot mode.

19. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Yeah, I do actually like to store the weapond in alt. mode. Like yourself, most of my TF's are displayed as a bot... but when I do tf my TFs I like a place to put their weapons.

As a kid I didn't get a lot of the figures- partly because I didn't have the money, but mostly because I detested removable fists.