Heavy/Scratch: wip: G1 Bruticus Maximus

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by simified, Jul 23, 2011.

1. simified

simified Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Update Page 2

This project goes back almost a year ago. I bought Bruticus Crapicus because I saw the Complete Brutality kit yourreflection had made,http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/commissioner-listing-feedback/266590-kidbashs-corner.html.
    [​IMG]

I say "Crapicus" because unaltered, in my opinion, this thing looked like crap! YR's kit was out before FansProjects was and it was AWESOME!!! I began working on a custom Blast Off and Brawl to replace the 2 limbs and bought an Energon Strongarm to replace Swindle. I wasn't thrilled with how Brawls fists were exposed in tank mode so I started working on a rocket launcher using toothpicks as missiles that would cover them also adding more fire power.
    [​IMG]

I added a cannon and another gun mounted on the side that could also act as a gun while in robot mode.
    [​IMG]

While in robot mode the cannon can has full range of motion and can swivel in any direction or store straight up when not in use for that G1 Brawl look.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fansproject came out with their upgrade kit after YR released Complete Brutality and my ultimate plan was to buy both kits. I wanted to mix and add elements from both of them. Unfortunately some things happened in my personal life and by the time I had the cash to buy YRs kit he was no longer making it. I ended up purchasing FP's kit which was great since I wasn't happy with the direction my take on Blast Off was going and FP's Swindle was a shoe in compared to Strongarm.

I saw Carpools post, http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/422023-project-bruticus.html, and picked up a PPC Heavytread. Aesthetically it looks better than my Brawl and I wanted my Bruticus to be as G1 as I could get it.

I did a minor mod to the chest and flipped it around. I didn't like how the cab stuck out so far, sort of made Bruticus look like he had boobs. :lol  I rotated the legs so I could widen his stance and bring the legs in a bit closer to lose that "bow legged" look. I slightly modded a G1 chest plate and added it also which was easy to do once the top half was reversed. The gun rack/back pack is held in place my styrene rods now. Vortexs' helicopter blades were removed and replaced with the G1 set. All that being said this is what I ended up with.
    [​IMG]

All of my mods are finally done so now it's off to paint. I'm going to be doing a G1 paint job on all 5 Combaticons. I would like a little advice from everyone though on 2 things...

First I saw these on Reprolabels...
    Reprolabels.com -
    Reprolabels.com -

Should I just do a good looking paint job and skip the sticker upgrades or add them after I finish painting?

Second, should I do a traditional G1 paint job or go the extra step and add some weathering details?

I'm really torn on this and I can't make up my mind. I'd appreciate your guys thoughts and critics.

Before I forget a very special thanks to YR! Without his imagination and creativity I would never had been inspired to have tackled this or even had bought the toy to begin with. Thanks to Carpool as well whose badass idea on using Heavytread made me scrap my own work. :lol  :thumb 

Attached Files:

2. ankokushin

ankokushin Member

woooooooooooooooooooow awersome job but the helmet of original G1 bruticus???

3. UltraMagnus2008

UltraMagnus2008 Autobot

News Credits:
    Dang it I need a Heavytread, he looks so good with this set! Well done :) 

4. Carpool

Carpool Well-Known Member

Wow...Im honored to have inspired you. Did you use my leg mod for the knee joint? I like the chest plate idea and have considered scrapping my old "Ruination" colored Bruticus chest piece for it. I keep looking at it and it DOES look way better. Ugh...gonna have to now.

5. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke!

News Credits:
    Very nice! I noticed you shaved off Heavytread's rear combiner ports like I did so they wouldn't get in the way of knee articulation (especially with Onslaught's legs turned sideways so those purple minicon ports won't keep bumping into his crotchpiece).

I like how you modded the G1 chest shield and flipped Onslaught around so his normal chest is Bruticus's too. It gives a flatter (especially with the shoulder combiner port extensions on Blastoff and Vortex) but a more G1 accurate appearance. I was scratching my head as to how to add the G1 chest plate given how far the cab sticks out but your solution is elegant in its simplicity!

Now I want to pick up a G1 chest plate off eBay. XD I'm very interested in the styrene rod mods you added to hold the double-barreled cannon pack to his back. Any chance we might see how they were done? How about the knee combiner port mod?

I admit I cheated a bit with my own Heavytread knee mod (refer back to Carpool's original thread for pictures) since all I did was slide a long metal rod (originally a screw head piece for a Dremel, heh) and added a little rubber tubing (filled with the leftover metal rod bits when I cut/sanded off Heavytread's blue combiner ports) to act as a kind of resistance cushioning for the bigger rod.

Then I cut out a small rounded indentation in the smaller hole of original Brawl's energon combiner port (one hole is bigger than the other so I had to match them up a little) to fit the bigger rod (using a Dremel and a small drill/sander head). That done, I inserted the bigger rod and cushion into the combiner port, and used the natural molded holes behind Heavytread's interior treads to act as ports to hold each end of the rod.

I found that the fit was perfect and everything lined up beautifully. However, the knee joint itself was still too loose and floppy so I simply took a spring out of a normal ballpoint click pen, cut it in half, and threaded the halved springs on either side of the rod and combiner port to act as additional resistance. Voila, the tightness of the knee joint was much improved and FP Bruticus, balanced and stable once more, can now hold his poses again without fear of toppling over!

And all I used from original Brawl was his energon port and nothing else (not its housing that makes up Brawl's chest nor his back joints holding his tread kibble in place). The result being is that aside from his missing port, Brawl is still functional as a standalone Scout-sized bot (in fact, he's in alt mode being ridden by Groundspike right now, lol).

Granted my McGuyver'd knee joint presents one additional partsforming piece outside of Bruticus mode but I wanted to spare my original Brawl from being destroyed and scavenged for more parts in the interim. If I wanted to, I could just replace his energon port back and he'd be as good as new as he was before I undertook this little custom project (since my knee mod technically isn't permanent).

I haven't painted up Heavytread as Brawl yet but will sometime soon. I also highly recommend the Reprolabels sets. There's quite a few stickers to add to all 5 bots but the effect makes a marked improvement, especially to Blastoff and Onslaught in alt modes. There's also Soundwave3K's custom sculpted heads for Onslaught and Vortex to consider (he also has one for Brawl but since Heavytread's default head looks like Brawl anyway, it's not necessary).

This was a fun little project and all this idea swapping is much appreciated! Great work and thanks for sharing, all!

6. Gatchaman

Gatchaman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This!
    I didn't know about this bot, he's makes a kickass Brawl! Have to track him down now.

7. simified

Ebay:
    Thanks but it is a standard issue FP head. Personally I thought that the head was a bit too small. I'm really considering having a new one made that's a tad larger. Problem is I don't know of anyone who would be up for the challenge. :lol 

Thanks! Try looking on eBay, might that a day or two of searching. It did for me anyway as there wasn't a lot of them listed.

Well I'm just happy that you took the time to post such an awesome find! Yep. I used you knee mod but it took me a few tries to line it up properly. I was either too high or too low. If you don't want to use your Ruination chest plate eBay has them for around $8.

Even if they wouldn't have restricted movement I would have shaved off the combiner ports anyway. They just don't look right being there in tank mode. I have no desire to use him as anything other than Brawl so it was an easy choice to make. I still need to make some styrene plates to fit over the blue ports in tank mode. I don't care for that open gap that is currently there. The minicon posts on Onslaught were shaved off a while ago. They kept popping off that crotch piece and it was really annoying. Sort of pointless to do once I rotated the legs. Having his stance shortened looks better imo but I didn't swap the pieces like you did. How you did yours looks a lot better with those stickers showing.

Thanks. I'm a believer that if you're going for that G1 look you need that chest plate. I'm working on one, along with a few other mods, for Superion as well.

As far as the mod for the weapon rack on the back goes there are 2 ways to do it, partsforming and non-partsforming. When I get home (working atm) and I have a chance I post some pics of it. I'll elaborate on it when I have the pics as it will make more sense. For the knee mod, like I mentioned above I simply used Carpool mod. A while back before CrazyDevy made the kits for Devastator I articulated mine and added some height by using a Lego Bionicle kit. I made small pistons that worked great in keep Devy stable. I thought about applying that idea to Bruticus but Carpools mod was easier and I already had the parts. Right now I don't have any stability issues so I'm quite happy.

I saw Soundwave3K's Combaticon heads and they look pretty sweet. Truth be told I only display mine in combined mode. There are a lot of 3rd party toys coming out I want to get my hands on and every penny counts so it would be sort of pointless for me to buy them. Now if I was planning on selling this I'd pick them up without a second thought. I do like what the stickers do for Blast Off. It always bothered me that there was no cockpit on the nosecone. I had an idea on making my own but I was holding off on adding it until I decided on whether or not to buy the sticker set or not. The verdict is still out on that one.

Never knew he existed myself. I don't think he was released in America or if he was, the supply was scarce. The going rate on eBay was around $30 and the sellers were all from the UK or the Philippines. Shipping took forever and a day but it was well worth the wait.

8. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke!

News Credits:

Yeah, I didn't like the combiner posts sticking out the back of him either. The fact they got in the way of knee articulation in combined mode was the clincher to shave them off.

The other two posts aren't so bad, I think. Heavytread just needs to be painted up in G1 Brawl colors so everything matches up better. I'm sure once that's done, the gappiness won't be as noticeable.

The minicon posts on Onslaught do serve a purpose in his vehicle alt mode to plug in the dual arm pieces that fit over Vortex (and where Bruticus's hands are stored). That's the only reason why I didn't cut them off, but with the legs turned like this, there's no cause to either.

And thanks, yeah, with the stickers applied that duplicate the silver grating effect on the crotch piece, it really does show off the pattern better and gives a sense of unity with the waist and thighs. I'm fairly sure Reprolabels designed the stickers to be displayed in this exact fashion, in fact. Big kudos to them! The leg swapping was a little annoying to get the ratchets to line back up properly but the result was more than worth it! All you need to do it is a small Philips head screwdriver.

Cool, I'll definitely get the G1 chest plate! Would you recommend the dull gray one, or the silvery chrome finish? I'm leaning toward the silver version but your version appears to be the gray one and looks pretty cool too!

Oh sweet, please do show your cannon backpack mod, as that's the only real thing stopping me from turning Onslaught around fully like you did. XD I want to make sure I can duplicate the cannon effect as well (the chest plate I'm not too worried about). I did already try it out on a whim and noticed that the arms have more clearance in the back and better range of motion should the cannon backpack be stowed off to the very rear on the cab. The default setting always limits arm movement somewhat, especially with the shotguns stowed behind the shoulders.

I'm very curious as to how you attached the cannon to the rear cab without the darn thing falling off (not that the default set up with Onslaught and FP's cannon is too secure to start with). Perhaps you can duplicate your mods on Shapeways (if you have exact dimensions, measurements, and CAD drawings) or something? Share the wealth, so to speak, heh.

Nice. I'd also be curious as to Carpool's knee mod with clearer pictures showing what goes where, in case I do decide to scrap Brawl and make the knee mod permanent. Really looking forward to them! I can try to take pictures of my own kitbashed knee mod but it's really crude in its MacGvyver'd simplicity, lol. But hey, it works. XD

As for the Reprolabels, again, highly recommended. Swindle's are more understated but the added purple to the hood and back are nice, as is the "Combaticons" text around his tires. Vortex and Brawl are more meh, as they're mainly just decorations to hide the ugly preexisting tampos and spruce up otherwise serviceable figures. Onslaught's is impressive in both bot and alt mode; really love the silver grating on the legs and his urban camo patterns for that military assault vehicle look.

But I think Blastoff benefits from the Reprolabels the most out of the five. The purple front and nose is very G1-ish (the "window cockpit" is neat), and the silver striping on his wings and tailfin (which ends up giving his sword/knife an edge to boot) are very cool. If you have a WST Shockwave for Bruticus to hold and wield, the purple on both complements one another very nicely and darn near match too.

As for the custom heads, that's understandable. I'm still on the fence about them but will probably end up getting them (if they're still available) sooner or later after all this 3rd party craziness dies down a little and I can give my wallet a breather, lol.

Thanks for taking the time to post your mods and thoughts!

9. simified

Ebay:
    I guess it boils down to 2 things, your personal taste and what you're planning on doing for your finished product. My personal taste? Grey since it's truer to G1. Either way though the color of plate doesn't matter to me since the current chest plate doesn't match the color of the crotch plate. I'll be repainting both. :thumb 

10. simified

Ebay:
    Okay here's what I did for the mode on the weapon rack that goes on Bruticus' back. As I previously mentioned there are 2 ways of doing this, parts forming and non-parts forming.

Non-Partsforming

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Partsforming

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You will need to apply a coat or two of clear nail polish on the ended of the Styrene Rods so they fit snugly in the ports.

Pros and Cons: Partsforming vs Non-Partsforming

The first pic if Bruticus with his partsformed backpack...

[​IMG]

This next pic is the non-partsformed backpack...

[​IMG]

Viewing the 2 methods from a frontal view you really can't tell the difference. I went with the partsforming method for 2 reasons.

1. Bulkiness: Partsforming makes Bruticus less bulky and looks a heck of a lot better from any angle you look at him.

2. Stability: Using the Non-Partsforming method Bruticus will be back heavy and you'll need to brace him for poses and to stand. Solution? I was too lazy to do it but you could cut small pieces of steel/metal and glue them into the chest plate to act as a counterbalance.

11. simified

Ebay:
    I just caught that you wrote that. :lol  Tomorrow I'll try to take a few pics and post them on here for ya.

12. simified

Ebay:
    I finally finished painting Heavytread with a G1 style Brawl paint job. I used Model Masters Acrylic Green Zinc Chromate for the base coat. Model Masters Enamel Willow Green for detailing which is hard to see even after taking the photos outside. If you look closely you'll notice it in the lines on the tank and a few other various spots. I also added a little bit of silver here and there and for weathering on the treads, I thought I made it pop a little. I used Model Masters Acrylic Wood to give it that dirty, driven through mud look. A final layer of Dullcote was added at the end. Minor error on my part I left the peg in the front out while snapping the pix. :lol  Let me know what you guys think.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Carpool

Carpool Well-Known Member

Thats a pretty sweet Brawl. I love this mold as Brawl. Really he has to be one of my top 5 projects that Ive ever done. Not only was he my favorite little toy when I was a kid I remember crying when I accidentally snapped the turret off of him. I waited like 20 years for another one and that craptastic movie version came out. I had to get Heavytread off of a foreign seller for like 40 bucks but it was totally worth it in the end. I still have my G1 Brawl and I love my new "Brawl" just as much!