Heavy/Scratch: WIP G1 Articulated Dinobot Snarl

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by thyvipera, Mar 28, 2009.

1. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

Hey everyone, after doing Slag, i picked up my broken G2 snarl and started messing around.

Again, inspired by JAF and F_R's upcoming dinobots.

I'm going to try and do a step-by-step process for those interested in doing the same. Forgive me if it's complicated or horrible, first time doing so.

here's a list of required things (to do this the way I am)

1. G1/G2 Snarl
    2. Classics Smokescreen, prowl, silverstreak, whichever you prefer
    3. epoxy glue or whatever glue you prefer
    4. dremel/rotary tool
    5. a small amount of sheet styrene
    6. 2 neo shifter joints
    7. 2 boincle balls and 2 bioncle ball sockets (or regular balls and sockets if you have them)

And i believe that's it.

Here we go,

First, unscrew smokescreen's waist (there's a screw in the back, on his buttox), and dislocate his bottom half from his torso, then screw his waist back together.

Then unscrew his bottom legs, 2 screws in each, and I had to use force to remove his inside leg cover, causing breakage to a small clip, which is no big deal, they can be screwed back together and hold fine.

I then unscrewd Snarls bottom legs from his thighs.

Snarls legs fit perfectly into the hole/peg of Smokecreens.

You will need to dremel the legs of snarls to allow the correct movement of the leg, as well as smoekscreens bottom bottom thigh (the part where snarl's peg fits into). You can play it by ear at this point, just keep putting the leg back together, seeing if it works, and if not, take it back apart and dremel some more of the areas that need to be removed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I then cut the original Snarl waist away, leaving nothing but the cylinder (that slides up into Snarl's chest/torso)

There's already an opening in Smokescreen's waist, that will need to be dremeled, allowing Snarl's sliding cylinder to fit about a quarter of an ich inside Smokescreen's top waist. I then glued the 2 together.

[​IMG]

The way I'm modifying Snarl, his alt. mode will have a gap, as you can see. My answer, will be to extend the width of Snarl's legs with styrene, and when the two legs are closed together, the gap will be no more.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I hope this isn't too complicated, and hopefully someone will find some use of it.

Attached Files:

2. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    same problem (situation) JAF and I ran into on our snarl. (painting him now actually)

I attempted this one, and figured I send to mr JAF, the crotch and space between the legs needs to be as small as possible. the original's thighs actually fold downward, meet, then the legs fold up. - So basically, if pointing straight down, the insides of the legs would need to touch, or you'll get that gap. That gap it going to be a nightmare to fix, plus now you have to widen his head. Problem B, could be the spikes on the neck won't align with the rest of the body now too....

edit: looking good though, keep going with it. I hope to have mine complete by Monday and uploaded pics.

3. bellyboy

bellyboy working working working

News Credits:
    nice aproach

tnx 4 the tutorial

4. JAF

JAF 1984

Nice work so far! Those legs definitely look better in bot mode than if you tried to fit it all into the existing Dinosaur mode. What I did to make a tight fit was to add a separate joint that rotates perpendicular to the knee joint. That way (in conjunction with the ball-jointed hips) the knees could be pushed together at the dino-head and allow for a nice fit. Maybe you can add a similar joint to Smokescreen's knee area and eliminate this gap. The stego-head is really what will need to be remedied as you have it. You can always reposition the plates and fill in the spine gap. But a wide fat head may or may not fly.

It's great that you are doing a follow along here. And Snarl is my main bot you know! :thumb 

5. cowclone

cowclone I am lost..were am I?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    dude epic you must do all of them and make a fusion that would be the best thing to see man. but DO IT !!!!!!!1

6. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

Kelvinchang99 already did:
    [​IMG]