Heavy/Scratch: WIP DOTM Voyager Optimus Prime Jetpack & Weapons

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Cranckasional, May 19, 2012.

1. Cranckasional

Cranckasional Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    WIP DOTM Voyager Optimus Prime Jetpack/Trailer/Ring/Weapons

I should had probably named this a "poor man's Jet wing prime" due to the fact that well it IS a poor mans Jet wing prime. Why? Ok well let's say that my budget does not get along with Leader Optimus Prime, SO I got the voyager version.

What I will be doing:
    - Fairly Movie accurate (NOTICE I said Fairly) Wings
    - Somewhat movie accurate Jet Wing Cannons
    - A pair of Energon Swords that are BOTH hand held AND arm mounted
    - A shield (I am not sure about this one but it's worth listing)
    - An Axe (I made a thread about it a long time ago, back then it NEVER crossed my mind that I would one day give Prime the whole package)
    - Movie 1 & Rotf fairly accurate guns (am honestly NOT sure I can pull these off)
    - Non-Transformable Trailer to store weapons/jet pack (I wish I could make it transformable but hey, I might make it transform into the weapons ring but I want to worry about the trailer LAST)

Back to the Poor man's thing well all of this will be made out of old figures and stuff I may find around the house etc. (let's see how this works haha)

Let's begin with the stuff I already have done shall we?

OPTIMUS PRIME:
    I haven't done nothing BIG to the figure itself, other than removing the arm wheels and truck Grills in his arms. Makes him look A LOT better (to me). Also while I am at it, his original gun handle was cut and moved back a little, the way it was originally positioned REALLY bothered me.
    Here are a couple of comparison pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AXE:
    I posted a tutorial a long time ago, but well long story short:
    I grabbed Fallen, Optimus Took his face, I took the red translucent energy thing in his neck and glued it to a handle, I gave Fallen a neck mod, and BOOM got his Axe.

Ill post the link just in case someone wants to see the whole tutorial, By the way, does anyone have a decent screen shot of Optimus holding his Axe? I know mine is NOT accurate, but I want to take a good look at the colors.

WARNING: For some reason SOME peoples computers freeze when they look at the following thread, I have NO idea why.
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/431711-optimus-prime-axe-mod.html

[​IMG]

Jet Pack:
    Let me begin by saying; the wings will be constructed from DVD Cases,, Remember the whole "poor man's" thing? Don't worry, I am aiming to do a good job (if not decent) at it. I am also "cannibalizing" a small Gundam figure I found for a dollar on a garage sale recently. I am basing my design off from various customs and screen shots that I like, so if it seems familiar to yours; by all means credit goes to you.

[​IMG]

This is what I got so far from one DVD cover:

[​IMG]

UPDATE 5/21/12
    Well unfortunately the gluing together thing didn't work, the pieces fell apart when I was trying to file the edges so, we will delete that step, and I'll just use one set of wings (just 4 not all 8 for those who've been following, I also deleted those pictures since they are unnecessary now).
    I used the Gundam Robot wing connectors to give Primes wings some articulation (kind of like a Flight/no flight mode, this will look better later on). These connectors on the long wings also give the wings that "bent" look (if you look at screen shots you'll know what I am talking about).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As for the "back/shorter" wings, well I also use the remaining Gundam connectors (I sliced the main one in half). This will give them articulation too, being able to rotate (Again for a flight or land mode). The reason why I added articulation was to make the wings look different, if I wanted to display him flying or just sliding through the streets slaughtering Decepticons. I was able to give these wings even more articulation by using two lego pieces as you can see, this will allow more posing variability.

[​IMG]

Next for the actual backpack, or the piece that will support the wings and rockets, I used a small battery cap of some random old figure. It was cut to the desired size, then I glued small pieces of lego rods which will allow me to connect it to Primes back Mech Tech ports. I also glued rods to the Long wings, and then glued it all together (it is drying at the moment, pictures will be uploaded Once its dry).

[​IMG]

So I was watching the new Prime episode and something clicked. My Original idea was that in order to rotate the wing outwards, I would just "unplug" the rod and plug it back in at a 90 degree angle (due to the connectors), as one can see in the right. The NEW and BETTER way was to use this Lego cylinder thing and just add glue to the rod (to make it thicker, thus fitting in the cylinder), this would allow me to actually rotate the wing (as you can see in the picture to the left). I know I sliced the original one in half, but that was because I had already "widened" the holes to the necessary width, and I didn't felt like doing that again to a new set. So far I am EXTREMELY happy of how this is turning out, its HONESTLY better than what I was expecting.

[​IMG]
    Okk so I go WAYYY to ahead of myself, and BOOM its finished. Its WAYYYYY better than I expected it, and I have to thank Hasbro/designers for his feet, due to the fact that they are long and flat; They can support the jet pack :)  The articulation is great(for me), I have my Flight Mode and my Land Mode. Quick Summary: The short wings consist of the gundam piece which allows the in and out movement, they also consist of a pair of lego cylinders wich allow it to rotate. The long wings consist of the rod and another cylinder, this allows rotation, and the gundam connector at the end of the wind allowing the ends to extend. The rockets are the ones Prime came with, nothing was done to them, I just took a lego cylinder and increased the width so that the balljoint fits and it works like a balljoint system :D  Now I just have to add a bit of detail and paint and the jet pack is done. Enjoy the pictures :D 

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Things left to do:
    - Paint the Jet Pack (probably silver to represent the trailer)
    - Start on Swords

Feel free to ask any questions.

Attached Files:

2. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Looking good!

3. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

4. Cranckasional

News Credits:
    Thank You

Yeah I considered that, but I don't really feel the need to buy a second Prime just for the second gun though. Unless I could find a cheap gun(s), cause I am using his original gun as a "gun" haha. Thanks for the suggestion though.

5. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

I understand. If I had your skills I'd try to make something myself as well.

I don't remember who made it but there's a really cool custom jetpack using parts from classics jetfire/treadbolt.

6. micky24

micky24 Well-Known Member

i also used dvd/cd cases as wings to my custom flytech prime,and if you are using super glue and having troubles with it you can use hotglue instead.=)

7. Cranckasional

News Credits:
    Its not that hard really, haha Thanks

I have to ask (while the glues dries), HOW or out of WHAT did you make your guns from?? The DOTM one is EPIC and I love the other one your made him, I just couldnt see good pics of it... Mind sharing the info?

8. Cranckasional

News Credits:
    Le Jet Pack is done =)

9. micky24

micky24 Well-Known Member

the dotm gun was made from marker caps,straw from those juice those little round thingfrom the tamiya racing cars (dont know what those things are called) and 2007dlx bumblebee arms.

10. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

Keeps getting better and better. Very crafty!

11. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I like it!