Heavy/Scratch: WIP Die-Cast Sunstreaker from SCRATCH!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Quantum_Anomaly, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Quantum_Anomaly

Quantum_Anomaly Scratch Basher

Latest Update: 3-10-2010 (page 3) It Stands!

I finally got enough time and all of the parts I needed to start this project. This will be my first transformer, and I'm going full-tilt-boogie on it.

He'll stand 8-10" tall, possibly more depending on how the hip and leg construction go.

At least 90% of the parts will be scratch, and I doubt there'll be a single piece on the model that the Aves Fix-It sculpt doesn't hit.

Portions of the chest and sniper rifle are made using a 1/100 Gundam Dynames kit.

Joints in the shoulder and Hips are scaveneged from a Bionicle. The head will serve as a base for the final sculpt and rest on a bionicle ball joint.

Ace Hardware is providing all of the screws and brass, while Lowes is providing the steel. Hobbytown USA for all styrene (not yet pictured ;)  )

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. I will provide as many pics as possible, and I am more than willing to help anyone with my tips and tricks. Though this is my first transformer, I've been kitbashing for about a decade now (I'm 25 and got my first warhammer and battletech minis when I was about 15).

If you've gotten this far, please feel free to leave a quick reply. Your posts keep me motivated and help maintain just as much excitement for me as it does for you. Since this is a first attempt, there will be plenty of small areas that will need improvement. Help me find them by pointing them out.

NOTE: I'm making a few creative "attitude" adjustments for Sunstreaker. It will NOT be 100% accurate to any series or generation of toy, instead it will be a version "inspired" by him. The open-top california style Lambo means that I have to do everything I can to keep a mint interior, and means that the top of the car will not function as his chest, since a top isnt present and bucket seats make for a messy stomach :p 

Large update pics will post to the main page with more in-depth pics and tutorials in each post. Look through the whole thread for the best experience.

Other than that, enjoy the build!

Attached Files:

2. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is this going to be about Alternator size?

3. blobatron

blobatron Changeatron/Plumbot

This is fantasmic (fantastic + orgasmic, but we all knew that).

4. fakebusker83

fakebusker83 Radicon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Crazy crazy crazy...have you ever cut yourself? I'm always getting nicks and wounds from my dremel and I'm working on plastic.

Anyway, I love the car mode and I'm excited to see your final outcome. So excited in fact, I might just try my own hand at reshelling.

All the best for this one!

5. Quantum_Anomaly

Slightly larger and MUCH wider. Should stand about 10-12" tall or so.

Thanks! :) 

Yeah, I've cut myself plenty of times, usually more with plastic actually, but that's what I'm more used to. Getting in to the tiny corners on a complex plastic piece with an x-acto knife is what gets me every time. When working with metal, I've found that my thumbs just end up being sore from holding things down for dremmeling and trying to get in to hard-to-reach spaces.

Not a reshell though, the 1/24 scale Lambo is a bit too large (almost twice as big) as the alternator size. This one has to be completely from scratch. :D 

6. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

you got hands of steel,mate.

7. Quantum_Anomaly

Lol, with the amount of shavings flying off the cutting wheel, I pretty much do!

8. Quantum_Anomaly

Quick update. I finished cutting, drilling, and grinding down the other arm minus the shoulder joint. The second arm went a lot quicker than the first and I'm getting the hang of working with both the steel and brass.

If you use a dremel, I HIGHLY recomend the quick-connect cutting wheel set. The metal and plastic cutting wheels are MUCH higher quality (though slightly pricer, I haven't had one shatter on me yet) and the connector is a BLESSING when it comes to hot-swapping to cut metal then plastic and back.

I know that there are a lot of questions as to the size, so here's a rough-up of about what we're looking at. 8-10 inches final height.

Additional details in main post. :D 

Attached Files:

9. Quantum_Anomaly

While I wait for the fixit to dry I figured I would post some progress!

Both of the main arm armatures are constructed, down to the rubber grommits that sit in the elbow to give a little tension and help the arms hold their pose.

The main chest piece is getting some sculpting in to provide a mounting point for the hinge that will serve to drop both arms out and allow them to be removed from the center cavity. The only thing not pictured is the length of brass that mounts the ball joints for the shoulders to the upper portion of the chest. This piece can be seen in previous pictures.

Attached Files:

10. Quantum_Anomaly

Quick update: Hacked a bigger hole in the chest and fully mounted the main hinge. The process of slowly adding putting and attaching mounts for joints has begun! The chest and front-end transformation including shoulders and arms is about 95% complete, just a couple of more holes and a smidge of putty should set everything straight.

Tip for cutting apart long brass hinges: Add a drop of superglue to each end where the pin resides. When this dries force the hinge to swivel again (it will be glued shut at this point, but only slightly, the glue will snap quickly). This will hold the pin in place while you cut. After your cut is made another drop of glue on the newly-sheared end of the piece you cut and the leftover piece will ensure that the pin stays secure. Again, bend the hinge when the glue has dried to ensure functionality. The pin stays glued inside while the rest moves! WOOT!

Attached Files:

11. Howling

Howling I'M NOT A GUY!!!

News Credits:
    How did I not notice this before. As a Lamborghini fan, I am deeply ashamed of not noticing this awesomeness before.

12. Howling

Howling I'M NOT A GUY!!!

News Credits:
    How did I not notice this before. As a Lamborghini fan, I am deeply ashamed of not noticing this awesomeness before.

13. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

awesomeness!

14. Quantum_Anomaly

No worries, I figure it will get more hits as soon as it starts to really resemble 'ol sunny! The detail level is going to be imaculate, down to the tiniest bits. There's still so much to be done! :D 

Thanks! :) 

15. spoonman

spoonman Kitbasher extrordinaire!

Wow dude. Mad scientist bashing going on here! Very ambitious and best of luck on this!

16. Quantum_Anomaly

Not the first time I've been called a mad scientist lol! And yeah, for being my first transformer it is quite ambitious, but I'm excited and things have been working out so far!

17. 1980kid

1980kid Well-Known Member

now this is a CUSTOM!! brilliant,

18. Quantum_Anomaly

Haha! It's the only way I roll!

19. blobatron

blobatron Changeatron/Plumbot

Man o man, I cannot wait to see more of this! Cutting down that metal must be tough. I have a cheap no name rotary kit with cheap cutting parts that always break on me (luckily i wear safety glasses, so my eyes have been spared from shards of cutting discs).

20. Quantum_Anomaly

I definately recommend the quick-change kit by dremel. I have yet to have a disk from it shatter on me as they are thicker carbide disks and wear more evenly. Even if you pinch it in the metal the disk doesn't shatter.

I also recommend both a cordless and a corded dremmel. The cordless kit has better control for detail cuts, but it does not carry the torque that a corded dremmel does. This, however, is a blessing in disguise. When it comes to a detail cut through thick or sturdy material like steel or pewter, the cordless dremel will stop when you pinch a disk instead of ripping it to shreds or shattering.

Hopefully more progress tonight and thanks for watching!