Minor/Repaint: [WIP Custom] Classics Fortress Maximus - U.S. Version

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Robowang, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Robowang

Robowang I don't have AIDS

Ebay:
    EDIT: added a bunch of WIP pics. Here you go:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First off, I'm apparently a horrible photographer. Sorry.

I got the idea to do this guy a long time ago. I had heard of others making Fort Max from Cybertron Metroplex, but I'd never actually seen pics. I finally got to work on him about two weeks ago.

In the midst of working, I decided to look up other customs for inspiration. Turns out there are about 3 or 4 others out there (from what I found). I wanted to be as different from these as I possibly could, and fortunately many of my ideas were already fairly different.

My first goal was to make Max's face somewhat reminiscent of the comic, which really only went as far as goggle eyes and a forehead cross.

I also wanted a transforming head that didn't have to have a scrunched-up, thin face like two of the custom heads I had seen. I decided that having a regular face that attached to the back of the transforming figure was the best way to go (a la the 1988 Headmasters). The face is done, but the rest of the head is not, which is why there are no pics of "Cerebros" yet. The head is made from Computron's face, pieces scratch-built from cutting up Crumplezone's arm-wings, and Metroplex's Mini-con with the cockpit sawed off.

I also wanted Max to look bulkier. While some of the other customs were great, I didn't like how tall and lanky Max looked. In my head, he's more huge and bulky. I changed the transformation so that the white center chest piece was opened up in robot mode so that Max's head sat lower. I also wanted to build out the left side of the chest to homage the big window of the original, instead of just painted the rectangle there green. I found...something? I have no idea what that part was, but I had it, and it has two holes in the back that plugged right onto the Mini-con port on the chest, and had two Mini-con ports on the front of it. (If anyone can identify that part, please let me know!)

To bulk him up even more, I thought the legs needed to be wider. This gave me the idea to split the ramps into two parts instead of making fold-up ramps, so that I could stick half of them onto the legs using the Mini-con ports down there.

The one glaring omission, in my opinion, from the other customs was the swing-out gun platform on the left leg. Well, I had a Countdown piece with a broken bottom peg, so I drilled that out to attach to the leg. I then realized that, duh, I could make it a usable seat, so I drilled a hole in the side of the piece so it would attach upright instead of sideways. (It utilizes the bottom hole in base mode.)

I really liked the idea of using the Mini-con ports because it not only covered them up, but it also made many of the parts interchangeable and easy to move around for a base mode. The two waist cannons are Energon Battle Ravage cannons that were partially reshaped and put on Mini-con ports "backwards."

While they are the only option without drilling, I'm not a huge fan of the use of the Mini-con ports on the sides of the legs for shin guns, so I drilled holes myself. In addition to the Countdown gun platform, I also had the two small double-lasers with 5mm pegs on the back which were simply repainted and plugged into the new holes. I also thought that using slightly smaller guns on the shins sort of tricked my eye into making Max look bigger than he really was without taking away from the bulky look I was going for.

I still need to make handguns and wrist guns for him. I'll be making the handguns from Powermaster Optimus Prime guns - the rifle and the double-barrelled gun, with some customization. I want bigger wrist guns, as I'm basically combining the forearm guns and the wrist guns together, so I'm using G1 Breakdown guns on the wrists. I don't have any intention of building a sword. I'm going for the full-on "attack mode" of the U.S. version.

Other than the mid-torso folding, all of the original articulation is intact. I'm really glad the paint didn't ruin that. All of the painting that I did is also sealed with a clearcoat.

There is also a three-ramp city mode. The large center ramp is the only piece that may not attach to the robot mode, so I'm pretty happy about that. There will be big white ramp pieces attached to the back of the shoulders, so don't worry The shoulder ramps will join with the ramps you see on the sides of his legs to make the two side ramps in base mode.

Sorry for the long post. This is really my first serious TF custom (does putting a Destro head on a BM Tank Drone to make "Tankstro" really count?) so I would love some feedback.

I'll post more pics once I get the ramps and guns finished.

Attached Files:

2. zodconvoy

zodconvoy Well-Known Member

Nice! I really like it so far. Very old Marvel.

Edit: And if me painting black and red blood all over a DC Superpowers Robin to make Dead Robin (Jason Todd) as a kid counts as my first, Tankstro can totally count!

3. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Looks good, I really liked working on mine, the Cybertron Metroplex is a great mold to start with!

4. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

Looks good so far. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

5. Robowang

Ebay:
    Haha! Tankstro is awesome. Putting that Destro head on a TF body is the only good use I've found for balljoints so far :) 

6. Robowang

Ebay:
    Bump because I could use some more feedback on this while waiting for the last of the parts to arrive...

7. jame5y

jame5y Till All Are One..In the UK Thread

Hey dude, one thing i've learnt so far (in my limited experience) is that the addition of little touches like weathering, or picking out lots of little tiny details makes your custom look a hundred times better!

Also I think if you can break up some of the flat colours a bit more it would look ace! I always think of the 'End of the Road' storyline when I think of max, and he has lots of tone, perhaps darken up the grey on the chest, and expand the area of green so it takes up a larger portion of the shoulder.

Well that's my tuppence, i'm pretty new to this, I mean my Wideload is the best i've done so far and I wish I got more feedback when I do things, but then again I don't make fan favourites haha! But then again do we need another optimus prime eh?

haha :lol 

but this is ace!

8. Robowang

Ebay:
    Thank you for the suggestions! I've been wondering about detailing, but in the end I was thinking of going for a more "Classics official release" look. Also, I've never done weathering, and I'm kinda worried I would completely ruin the figure. As for adding more green, I might consider that! I will look into places where I can change up the gray a bit, too. All the little details I want to add are certainly not on there yet. I wanted to get the base paint and some important detailing done before I put up pics, but I still have about 20% of the work to do on him.

What do you think about coloring the horns/antenna a lighter shade of gray than the rest of the helmet?

9. jame5y

jame5y Till All Are One..In the UK Thread

I'd go for a blue grey, that would look fantastic.

I totally get you about worrying about ruining it with weathering, I got a little figure to practice dry brushing, it is a lot easier than I thought, dry brushing with silver gives it a really nice texture, and a bit more realistic.

it's all looking good though, i just think adding some details to the tank tracks, and look at all the little things you could bring out of the chest would step this right up :) 

10. Robowang

Ebay:
    Other details sound like a good idea. I want to avoid highlighting the tank treads, though, as they aren't used for either of my modes! :)  I sorta tried to cover them up (the wrist guns that cover the ones on the arms aren't pictured yet).

11. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Maybe you could completely the treads...

12. Robowang

Ebay:
    I considered that, but getting rid of them on the feet would cause me to have to fill or reshape some massive holes, and it would mess with the integrity of the arms. I suppose I could go so far as filling in and smoothing them over, though...

13. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Yeah, or maybe just grind away at the outsides of them until they're flat...

14. zodconvoy

zodconvoy Well-Known Member

You could use sheet styrene to cover the treads as long as they don't interfere with your altmode designs.

15. Robowang

Ebay:
    Okay, TONS of paint work and modifications done. All the main body paint and detailing is done for robot mode. The headmaster figure is finished except for the clear protective coat. I still need to paint a few details on the city mode, and all of the detail on the three ramps you haven't seen yet.

I also finished constructing the guns, which I think look pretty good. I haven't started painting them, though. I'm hoping to have this done by the end of the week, time permitting. I'll try to post some updated WIP pics soon.

16. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Are u trying to go with a visor for the head? Cuz that part seems big like they are visors but the nose splitting the "visor" makes it looks like eyes instead...big eyes. Almost bug like eyes.

17. Robowang

Ebay:
    Most of his appearances in the comics have his eyes like that. If you look at his TFWiki page, all the pics but one have the nose separating the large eyes.

18. Robowang

Ebay:
    Added WIP base mode and Cerebros pics to the first post. Check 'em out!

19. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I really like a lot of the choices you've made with this. :thumb 

20. Robowang

Ebay:
    Thanks! I appreciate that.