Heavy/Scratch: WIP, Combiner Madness!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Jbarb78, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Jbarb78

Jbarb78 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Huge (atleast for me) Devastator revamp. Trying everything I've never done, on a project that for me, has still not been done enough. Keep checking for new pics, going all out on this one.

Check last page for updates.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      1.8 MB
      Views:
    Last edited: May 16, 2010
  2. Destructicon 1

Destructicon 1 Original Gestalt

i love combiners. they allow each of us to find and come up with our own unique ideas! any clues who this might be?

3. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

Sounds good!!!

I demand some hints though!!! :drool: 

4. wan_de_real

wan_de_real Transformizer

Ebay:
    scratchbuilts???wow that is the best parts...

5. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

G1 Devastator doesn't.

6. Jbarb78

Ebay:
    Um, he's big and great at smashing Autobots. I dont want to turn anyone off on this one yet, since I'm pulling out all the stops. While I think every incarnation of this guy so far has been great, I wanted to do a full on balls-to-the-wall version that nobody has seen before, while paying homage to the original. I've got lots of ideas a' brewing too, been planning it in my head for months, and if I have to redo each part 60 times to get it right then so be it, cuz this one is mine. I'm actually hoping it rains the next couple days so I have time off from my day job to work on this one, cant tell ya how excited I am.

7. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

Okay, Devastator, Menasor, or Bruticus. It can't be Predaking, Abominus, or Monstructor because they lack wheels. Most likely Menasor or Bruticus.

8. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

Im not seeing wheels in the pics.... could it be Liokaiser?

9. Jbarb78

Ebay:
    Got home way late from work last night so I missed a day on it, got a couple hours in today attaching screws to the spreaders I made. I started building out the details a little here, still getting the hang of the styrene fitting. WheelJack and Anemis make this stuff look easy, believe me it isnt. They're still rough, got a few more pieces on the thighs to cut in before I start filling them with JB weld and sanding, then I'll move up the waist. Not an exact match to the picture due to the nature of the knee joint, but about as close as I can get.

Attached Files:

10. fateastray

fateastray AnakRepublikMalukuSelatan

If Defensor tripped and fell, he'd be pretty good at smashing some Autobots....

11. Destructicon 1

it's devastator!

12. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

Unlikely. Not with a waist like that.

13. Jbarb78

Ebay:
    Actually, Destructicon 1 knows his combiners. I've just decided to scrap this upper leg design in favor of another, so I'll be tearing this apart in the next couple days and reworking the usable parts. It wouldnt give me the articulation I want, and it wont look like the pic I'm following. After a bottle of cab, my brain got into a wild frenzy of ideas, and I came up with some really good ones on how to maximize not only the look, but articulation as well.

Stay tuned, I invested in some new tools today as well and I think this new direction will be even better. Here's the pics I found to base my work on, you'll notice my current knee configuration wouldnt result in what you see in the pics. Again, I want this thing to be as close to the pics as possible, and tearing it apart and starting over until it is that way is not out of the question. I've already learned a lot on how to work with this stuff, and I think I can do better than what I've got so far.

Attached Files:

14. Destructicon 1

i actually saw those pics on the web about a year ago so when i came back across them i knew it was devy. hey man i wish u the best with your kitbasing and such!

15. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I knew it was Devastator from the way the upper legs were built. That image on the right is from my Transformers Visual Works book.

Looks great so far--I wouldn't change it. But do what you need to do, man. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

16. Jbarb78

Ebay:
    Thanks guys, but it's already been dismantled. I want the knee joint to operate like it does in the pics, couldnt do it the way it was configured. I have a solution that will solve that, and will solve the fixed thigh problem thats been bugging me (front of the thigh always facing forward). Basically, his thighs will articulate like they're supposed to, and his feet will be flat on the ground for the most part while lunging, rather than the side of the foot like most of these Supreme class figures. Plus I wasnt happy with how I had cut the pieces together, got a tool to solve that too. More to come this weekend.

17. Jbarb78

Ebay:
    Alrighty then, gettin back on track now with the thighs, scrapped the original design and started over. I was able to use the swivel joint to make the thighs rotate, since the fixed face-forward design these come with always bugged me. This way looks more natural, and I used the Unicron ratcheting knee which will be modified and skinned as well.

Still have some details to build out on the sides, then the whole thing will be filled with JB weld, and sanded smooth. I plan to use this method for all the parts I'm building so that everything is solid and sturdy, I dont trust the krazy glue to hold this thing together on its own. Should have the thighs done this weekend, probably get started on the leg connections to Scrapper and Mixmaster as well.

Attached Files:

18. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    looking awesome bro! Curious though, what's the thing in the last picture there??

19. Jbarb78

Ebay:
    Those are the legs after I built the raised center detail, then filled around it with JB weld. Once its sanded and painted it will give it more shape and definition, rather than just a plain old flat side panel. If you look real close at the pic I'm following, you'll notice something similar.

20. Insecticons

Insecticons The different Kitbasher

Finally a bit Diffrent Devastator , cant wait man!