Minor/Repaint: WIP Classics Wheeljack

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Demonss, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Demonss

Demonss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    WIP "master collectable" Classics Wheeljack

*Edited the First post with a better pic of the WIP for a better showing in the radicon thread! A Majority of the work to this guy can be seen by jumping to Post #15 or just clicking HERE!!*

Hey everyone, I am currently working on my Sun Streaker turning him into Wheeljack using this kit:
    Mastercollectables.com

NEedless to say I need the alt mode to look a bit more like a Lancia Stratos Turbo. I know I can't really make the whole car look like a lancia, but hopefully I can get close enough.

Here's my current progress.
    I just wanted to share with some peps! :) 

I started by Disassembling and filling in the light sockets as a lancia doesn't have any head lights up at the top. I was trying to figure out how to do somethign with the back to remove one tail light but I can't figure anything out that won't end up having me risk the look of the rear end.. So I'll keep it as is, and just play around with some paint on the back end. I think it'll be a pretty reasonable looking "lancia" when it's all said and done.

Then I dove right into painting him white with white acrylic paint. Unfortunately the white wouldn't really adhere nicely (needed TONS of coats) to the yellow, so I went back and sprayed him with 100% alcohol and gave him a good rinse and then decided to go back and paint with sky grey.. IT looks like a nice "primer" and hopefully with a layer or two (at most) of white the white portions of the car should be done!

And before it's asked:
    I've got 2 syringes I use. 1 to take paint out of the bottle and put it in my tray, and the other to add water/thinner to the paint in drops. That way I can thin the paint like I want while avoiding painting out of the actual bottle.

:) 

I noticed the fact that the syringe was in the pic after I posted it, but was too lazy to go back and retake it.. lol

I've attached the pictures of the MC promos shot as well as the pictures of the lancia stratos turbo. Unfortuantely the stock sunstreaker rear end is goign to have to work as I can't figure out how I can make the rear end of the lancia without making a ridiculously ugly set of kneecaps for WJ. Besides I don't think it looks horrible as a "street legal slightly more modern lancia turbo"

So.. yeah, I don't wanna hear anyone say, "That's not a lancia" when i'm done.. I'm aware of that already. I'm just trying to make it look a bit different than the standard lambo mold while making a fun classics wheeljack.

Attached Files:

2. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I use the syringe method when I'm in need of a small amount of paint or paint thinner. I'd love to get my hands on this kit or do something like this.

Looking good so far, man. Can't wait to see more!

3. Demonss

News Credits:
    Thanks man!
    Tonight the white paint goes on.. Tomorrow the black paint.. then it's just a matter of waiting for the kit and doing some silver detailing and such..
    Btw.. If anyone has any suggestion on how to put the lights on the front of the car i'm all ears!
    I may just paint something on, but I'm not sure how good that'll actually look.. So I may not.

4. Autobot-X1

Autobot-X1 Mentaly Hilarious

Ebay:
    :thumbs2:  Looks great so far! Can't wait to see it finished. As always, keep up the great work!!:thumbs2: 

5. Demonss

News Credits:
    Yesterday I had problems with the white paint and as such I need to strip the paint off the body and retry.. Not sure what exactly the problem is.. But we'll see what happens..
    On a side note I cut all the spokes out of sunstreakers wheels and painted the interior of the wheels flat black. My plan is to now go back and paint the 5 spoke star the lancia has..
    More on this later!

6. simified

simified Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I was just checking out that link you posted for the WJ conversion kit......WOW! Seeing their final product in car/robot mode is pretty damn impressive! Add that to the little touches you're planning on doing will make this probably the BEST Classics Wheeljack to date! I hope you get your kit soon, I'm eager to see how this progresses! As far as your headlight issue goes, it's hard for me to say since I don't own a Sunstreaker or Sideswipe. My first thought though would be to fill in the seams around the existing headlights on the hood, then sand it down so its flush with the hood and seamless. Look around somewhere like Toys R Us for some inexpensive toy that has some type of clear, flat plastic that isn't to thick. Or you could even buy a single pack of Scotch tape...the plastic cover surrounding the tape is thin, flat, and mildly flexible. Mark off the shape of your headlights on the flat part of the plastic. Cut it out using multiple passes with an exacto knife or if you have a steady hand, a Dremel. Once your pieces are cut to the shape you want them, boil some water. Quickly drop a headlight in the water then pull it out. While it is still hot and mailable, press a slight curve into it so it takes the shape of the curved front end. Run the piece under cool water to "set" the shape. It will probably take a few tries to get it to the proper curvature though. Once both headlights have your curve in them you can paint behind them with a silver or blue so it stands out against the white paint on the car. Or perhaps even make a few score marks running horizontally and vertically on the back of the headlight to simulate a real headlight even further.

7. Demonss

News Credits:
    Hrm..
    This is an interesting idea.. I may have to play around with that... It'd be great if I could add those head lights just to make it look more like the original car.
    But yeah the end product makes a darn convincing wheeljack in my opinion, and with some little touches you can definitely make the lambo look more like a lancia. As the general shape of the cars are similar.

8. simified

simified Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I remember YR saying he was planning on making an upgrade kit for Wheeljack as well but I think I might have to jump the gun and pick up Mastercollectibles. I'm still drooling over those pix. I'll probably kick myself in the ass later though because YR puts out some nice looking stuff! You're lucky you don't live near Chicago, when you get done with Wheeljack I'd be banging on your door spouting, "Hey WJ can be both of ours, we'll just keep em at my house though!" :lol 

9. Demonss

News Credits:
    Hahaha.
    Well YR definitely does good stuff.. if he makes an upgrade kit I'll probably be all over that too! ;) 

10. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looking forward to seeing how this will turn out man!

11. yourreflection

yourreflection Well-Known Member

I'm pretty curious about this kit. Give us a review when you get it buddy. Looking forward to your take on this. Will you be making decals as well?

12. Demonss

News Credits:
    Supposedly the kit is coming with decals.. However, if I decide I don't like them, or I decide to add some more of the lancia decals (on the real car) then I'll have to paint it instead.. So we'll see. :) 

Of course if I can find paint to match the decals I could always paint the other decals on..

I'll definitely give a review, I've been taking some pics so when it's all said and done hopefully that'll turn it into a kit review also.

13. JSP

JSP Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    im loving the idea of wheeljack bein a lancia stratos have you seen the new concept stratos as its a bit more like sideswipe and you might be able to intergrate some of the more mordern lines of the mordern concept with the orignal stratos design?

14. Demonss

News Credits:
    Nah man.. got a link?!

15. Demonss

News Credits:
    Well I wasn't convinced my first sunstreaker was going to work out and managed to score one in a trade, so I started again.. The kit actually arrived too, so I'm going to work and update as I go! So here's the first "installment"

Hello everyone! I was looking at the master collectable kit and decided that I REALLY REALLY like the look of it and it can make a decent enough (with a few extra touches) lancia for a wheeljack custom..
    SO I purchased it, and am currently working..

Some people may be curious about the quality of the kit and stuff, so follow along with me as I explore this kit!

The first thing I did was take apart sunstreaker and pop out his headlights.. I then filled it with some putty stuff and then sanded it down to make a nice smooth front end of the car.

I was excited today to find my MC kit arrived in the mail! It showed up in a plano box with a nice little card inside
    [​IMG]

Opening it up, the plano kit looked something like this:
    [​IMG]

here's a closer look at the contents of the kit:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For sake of this "review" of the kit I've gone ahead and re-assembled sunstreaker with the kit on him just to show what the completely unfinished parts look like.. It is also good to do this as I've noticed a few things that could use some sanding to make an overall better fit.. The front middle spoiler is the weakest component of this kit.. In fact mine must have had a hair line fracture and broke in the bag (upon shipping I assume).. I was able to glue it back together for pics and such but it snapped back in two upon the slightest bit of fiddling with it. I can probably super glue it iagain, but contacted Master collectables and they were willing to send a replacement only costing me some shipping fees.
    [​IMG]

Anyway onto the Pics you've probably most been waiting for. I sanded the general outlines of the body before taking these pics, I will have to make a few more adjustments to tighten up the cockpit portion, other than that... fix/glue the front spoiler, prime and paint!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bot mode pics w/ sunstreaker next to him!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll post more pics as I keep going!

16. lotussouljah

lotussouljah Well-Known Member

Very nice run-through there buddy!! I'll be keeping an eye on you working this out! This oughta be good...:D 

17. Demonss

News Credits:
    Glad you liked that.. With that... HERE'S SOME MORE!!

Ok so this weekend I had some time to work on the kit.. In fact I probably could have finished it if it wasn't for the fact that my neck was starting to hurt from staring at it all day. Plus my hand was getting shakey (pretty apparent from some of the messy paint in the end result).

So right now I'm left with a wheeljack that needs his tabs and pegs that interconnect sanded down a little, some white touch up's, and the replaced middle spoiler piece, and then he's done! The quality isn't as good probably as some of the WJ's out there, but this was my first time ever using an air brush so I was quite happy with my end result and it taught me quite a bit about painting.. SO hopefully I've got nowhere to go but improve from here, but even then I think he turned out pretty nice!

Onto the follow along with me!
    First, I had already maked off a bunch of areas of Sun Streaker with masking tape, paper towel and liquid mask, but when I was lookign back at the pic I realized I didn't like how the top of the car was fitting.. So I grabbed my dremel and my spare side swipe (conveniently was already in alt mode) and started sanding back and test fitting the roof until I got results that looked like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then set up my work space in the garage and laid out all the parts I was ready to paint with white:
    [​IMG]

And then sprayed them all with a primer first:
    [​IMG]

I then busted out my newest toy, the air brush and air brushed for the first time!! I was amazed how nicely the white wen ton and how well it coated Sun Streaker.. It's definitely got me excited to find reasons to use it again soon!
    [​IMG]

After finishing with the airbrushing I went ahead and re-assembled Sun streaker and left him in alt mode.. The pics I took, I had not yet put on the front spoiler, but that was definitely done before I added the stickers. What I was left with was a nice blank car.. I HAD taken the original sun streaker (I need to strip the paint off him and fix him back up!) and made custom wheels for the lancia (more like the ones you can find online) but couldn't find them ANYWHERE in the house.. I cursed and stomped around looking for them with no luck.. I'm sure they'll turn up some time later.. I was going to have to make the standard sunstreaker wheels work!
    I definitely recommend putting the car back together to see what you've got to work with before you paint anything more than the white... My Sun streaker looked like this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I say to put him back together because you'll quickly realize which stickers you don't particularly like.. For me it was the wind shield stickers. They weren't cut quite right to fit into the wind shield spot.. So I knew that would have to be painted.. I also wasn't a big fan of trying to get the stickers into the tiny eye spots on the wheeljack head.. I knew this too would have to be painted.

So I started painting.. I painted a gloss black on the windows as well as painted some of the scoops of the car (it gave it a better more aerodynamic feel!), I fixed my stock wheels by adding some clear red paint on top.. 2 coats right on top of the stock silver to give a nice deep red metallic color.. Overall I think it came out pretty well for alt mode! Can't wait to get that middle spoiler!
    [​IMG]

From there I let things dry and turned him into bot mode and pulled out the flat black paint for the bot mode, as well as silver, clear green, and clear blue.
    I completely repainted the head (although it came painted out of the box) to give a better feel.. I put silver on the whole face even the eyes, and when it dried I put clear blue on the eyes (the metallic added by the silver looked really nice imo). I then painted the whole body black (except for the upper arms which were already done thanks to hasbro) and picked out various marks on the body that I wanted to have metallic green look to and painted them silver then repainted them with the clear green when it dried. You can see on the pic (below) that the left shoulder (right in the picture) needs a bit of white touch up.. That was pretty well the last thing I had done and my hand was shakey as crap then! I also added a few silver accents to the guns and painted them black (but that'll be more apparent when I take some better pics soon!). Like I said alll that's left really is to touch up a few places with silver and look at some of my green metallic and make sure it looks ok (I'll touch that up too if need be!). So anyway without further ado.. Here's the botmode!

[​IMG]

Sorry the bot mode is a little hard to see.. Once I touch things up I'll post some better pics (makeshift light box) soon, I just need time to finish him!

18. bellyboy

bellyboy working working working

News Credits:
    nice ,props on your painting skills

that was a long post :) 

i should try and buy one of those

tnx for the walk through

19. Maximal Prime

Maximal Prime Active Member

Ebay:
    Outstanding! I'd love to see more close-up pics of the head. Great Job!

20. Demonss

News Credits:
    Hopefully this friday I'll have time to finish him up and when he dries I'll show off all my imperfections in my "lightbox"

So you'll see close up of the head eventually! PROMISE!