Heavy/Scratch: WIP Classics Sludge

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by destrongerlupus, Nov 14, 2009.

1. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Anyway though, onto Sludge. Still very early, only the fore-legs are actually permanently attached and articulated at this point, but I'm already very happy with how he's shaping up.

[​IMG]

MP Grimlock
    YourReflection's (soon to be revealed) Swoop Upgrade /plug
    This Project
    Slag-Planned
    Snarl-Planned

Soon, I'll have all the Dinobots together again :) 

Update 11/15 -

Got the tail attached and working. This was actually the biggest engineering headache I was facing.

Thankfully the model-kit provided a tail that already slit nicely in two, so that saved me some precision slicing. But since I had a perfect 2-part tail, I really wanted the tail-transformation to work as much like the original toy as possible. No parts-forming (I kinda hate parts-forming...), no tail-as-sword B.S., I wanted the tail to transform.

Took me a little while to figure out a way to make it work, but once I did figure out a workable design, and got the joints trimmed down to size, through the miracle of baking-soda I was able to get it together and working pretty quickly.

[​IMG]

I may move those top "fins" onto the thighs to get a little more range of motion on the tail, and help blend the elements, but I'm pretty happy with how it's working :) 

You even get a sneak-peek at the robot mode!

[​IMG]

Interestingly, the addition of the tail-parts has really improved his balance in robot mode. I'm still planning on beefing up his heel-spurs, but it's looking less necessary now. Must be the extra weight at the knees...

Update -11/17

Well still working on the forelimb-arm-transformation problem. The design is working, and I've got it 1/4 implemented, my original joint choices were a little too bulky, so I have to retool again.

Ironically, my little baking-soda trick works SO darn well, I couldn't disassemble the parts I'd put together, so it's back to scratch-building about half the assembly...(Hence the 1/4 implimentation)

On a more positive note, I've started roughing out the neck-extension. I'm going to add one more section to what's pictured below. But I'd like some input, is now, "Long enough" or do I need the third section?

A little hard to tell out of context, but I don't need to make any final decisions right now anyway.

Excuse the hack'y contrast adjustments, the glare off the white-part was pretty fierce, and I was trying to get a half-way decent shot of the surface detailing, which came out pretty decent (I demolded too soon and lost a protrusion)

[​IMG]

Anyway, that brings us to tonights installment of "Papa D/L's grumpy-old codger old-skool kitbashing tips:

Tonight's Lesson - Hot Glue Push-Molds

Want to make a quick-cast of something? Out of molding supplies? Don't want to waste a gallon of silicon on a small low-priority part? Too lazy to bust out the good supplies? Too cheap, or too new to the hobby, to spend the bucks on silicon molds and resin casts?

Well there's a quick and dirty solution that can yield darn good results!

So this works best with single-sided parts, but I used to use it to do full-molds of 25mm wargaming miniatures, so with some effort you can repro just about anything.

1. Take your part of choice, and lay it down on a flat surface. (I recommend also lubing it up with a mold-release agent, you can use the real stuff, or just a little household oil)

2. Warm up your hot-glue gun

3. Coat the entire part with hot glue. The idea is to cover every nook and cranny, and not to end up with air pockets. With practice you'll figure out how to accomplish these goals (I was pretty sloppy with my above mold, as I plan on doing some detail-clean up anyway)

4. Let the hot-glue fully harden

5. Pull the glue-wad away from your original part. Be very careful here not to break the original part(especially if it is valuable), you may also need to make some strategic-cuts with a hobby knife to get the part free.

6. You can now use the mold as a push mold with your modelling compound of choice (I used good ol' Apoxie Sculpt here, when I first started I used a product called "Fantastic Plastic," which is still around and is a pretty great product, I can elaborate if anyone's interested in my experiences with it).

The fidelity with this technique is so-so, if you really take your time and get good with the hot-glue, you can get some darn-decent molds, but nothing on par with the more professional techniques.

Either a starter-technique, or as a quick-cheap-and-dirty maneuverer however, it's a good trick to have in your bag.

You can also achieve a similar effect with Flex-Sculpey (In fact they sell a whole kit with such a project in mind), but I've not been overly impressed by the results (Mostly because it's much more of a PITA to cure the sculpey, and it's much more tear-prone during demolding...)

Anway, that's all from me for the night

Update 11/18-

What a difference a day makes!

Thanks to everyone on the feedback on the longer neck, I wasn't sold at first, but now I LOVE it! I *think* I'm happy with the single extension, but it'd be cake to add a second, everyone LMK that they think. The collaboration really helps!

So no fancy tricks tonight, just a few hours wailing away on the Dremel (My hands are still vibrating!) The neck-extension and the new joints still need a fair bit of clean-up, but for this point in the build, I'm happy. Besides, it looks like a flour-bomb went off in my living room! Time to get those vaccum cleaner bags I've been meaning to buy ;) 

So here's the new neck!

Mugging for the camera:

[​IMG]

"What's that on the floor....can I eat it?":

[​IMG]

Encyclopedia Painting Pose:

[​IMG]

Update 12/7

Float like a butterfly...stomp like a bronto!

I wanted to hold off on robot mode pics until I got his new head, but the progress I made tonight was too much fun not to share!

[​IMG]

Prominently seen here is Arm/Rear-Leg Transformation version 2.4. FINALLY got it to work right, haven't done the other side yet, but now that I have the design, mirroring it will be quick and easy. Best part is the way it worked out it also really helps beef-up the robot-mode proportions!

Less immediately apparent, but at LEAST as important, is that his backpack now locks into place (No more kibble-flop), and he's not got the rough-start of his heel-spurs, so he's standing COMPLETELY unaided, despite being insanely back-heavy. No lean-against-the-back-of-the-case fate for Sludge!

Can't wait to get his head! After I get the other arm/leg assembly together I'm going to start detailing the chest and camouflaging all the mods.

He's really feeling like he's coming together now!
    Update 12/9

TRANSFORMATION COMPLETE!

[​IMG]

Still lots of work to do, notably the head-swap (Come on Mr. Postman!), and a TON of surface-detailing work (The heel-spurs/humps are currently too ugly for words...), but all his transformation components are now done.

[​IMG]

0% Parts-forming
    3 magnet-pop-auto-transform points

I'm old-school and anal, what can I say?

I have started building up the chest a little, this whole phase is bound to break me though, I always run out of steam on the surface-work. Hopefully with you guys pushing me though, I'll be able to press through to the end!

UPDATE 12/30/10:
    Ok, at LONG last an update. Unfortunately I'm away from home so the pics aren't as crisp as usual, and I only took one of each mode since I was getting nowhere with lighting.

[​IMG]

Not too much to see in the dino mode, there's been lots of little structural improvements, and I've begun doing some rough styrene work on his chest, and he's got his "humps" now as well.

[​IMG]

Robot mode is sporting his new head, as well as some more work on surface detailing.

At this point he's more or less structurally finished (gotta fix one little break), and now I'm going to have to start working on the real detail work before moving to finishing (i.e. the parts I hate)

Gonna need some serious cheer-leading to not cheap out (or abandon entirely) this next phase or two ;) 

D/L

Attached Files:

2. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    well heck yes sir!!!!! You knew you couldn't stop:) 

3. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Dude, that looks amazing so far! I'm definitely looking forward to watching this (and the others). Glad to see you picked up the dremel again and joined in the fun again, bro. My only question to you now is what did you use for this custom? Can't wait to see more, man!

4. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

i see some zoids and the star wars crossover at-te... what else is there?

5. rumble619

rumble619 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ah damn.......the man is back!!!!!!

I'm already liking this

6. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    Y'all are too kind! I've really enjoyed getting to know a lot of you guys from the "other side of the bench" so to speak, and I appreciate you all coming out to check out my WIP :) 

I did get darn excited about this one once I started thinking about it. Hopefully I'll also finish up a few partially-completed projects that are sitting waiting for attention as well. I'm staying focused on this for now though so I don't get distracted!

Whiskey-Tango's onto me!

Yep, it's one of the Diplo-Saurus-Tyranno-somethin' Zoids-blocks converter kits, plus Captain Rex. I really thought he looked decent, and actually have quire a few critter-guys I'd like to base on the mold! The six-legged base actually is working to my advantage, as you can work out 3 different quadraped-leg-mounts from the same base.

Edit- Checked, and it's the Brachiozilla (Which is a VERY fun kit!) whose nobly sacrificed himself to donate most of the dino-parts to this build.

YR's hooking me up with a key element, and I'm digging deep into my joint-case and my parts-bin for the rest of the bits and bobs I need ;) 

Thanks man! Coming from the KING of cool builds, that means a lot!

D/L

7. yourreflection

yourreflection Well-Known Member

WHAT?!?!?!? OMG - That is full of AWESOME already!!!

And thanks for the shout out bro - I feel all warm inside. Listen to me, I'm starting to sound like Lotussouljah =)

8. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    Glad you like it :) 

It's ALL your fault I'm working on this, if you'd just agreed to make a kit for me I could have stayed comfortably in retirement :p 

Seriously though, you've single handedly restored my faith in community (well in the on-line fan sort anyway), and your creativity has also been really inspiring.

Bask in the glow...bask ;) 

D/L

9. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    JEEZ MAN! Maybe we should be commissioning you!

10. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Wow! I just bought TWO of those Clone Commander SWTF Crossover figures last weekend expressly to make them into Dinobots like this! Great minds think alike! :lol 

Also, great idea to use the Brachiozilla parts. I have that one too, and as a Zoid, I hated it. As ready-made dino-parts for kitbashing though, t's perfect! Good call!

I would however go for a longer neck on this one... the neck doesn't quite have that apatosaurus proportion yet.

Can't wait to see these come together!

zmog

11. lotussouljah

lotussouljah Well-Known Member

BAHAHAHA I love the name drops. Thanks guys, I DO feel warm and fuzzy inside also! D/L, this is going to be very interesting, I'd be lying if I said I'm not looking forward to the results of your Dinobot team! I have no knowledge of Zoid pieces etc, but I would love to see these guys and how well they'll fit in the Classicsverse. They're going to be HUGE too!!! What are your objectives in terms of creating these guys? Any references? Good to see you on the other side of the workbench brother, and good luck!!! I expect great things from you!

12. SMOG

Actually I'm not so sure... MP Grimlock is huge by Classics standards, sure... but this SW Crossover mold is smaller than a Voyager class, so I'd worry that Sludge might look a little small compared to Grimlock and other Classics in general.

On the other hand, compared to little Classics Grimlock, yeah, these will be big.

zmog

13. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow, that looks really cool!

I am anxiously awaiting bot mode and color pics

14. lotussouljah

lotussouljah Well-Known Member

Lol you're absolutely right, I should've not said Classicsverse. What I meant was, a more updated, new look for them. Retaining their G1 cues, but still looking fresh and brand new! I'm sure D/L has something up his sleeve in terms of size....

15. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    Hey buddy, you are on the top of my list for "Maybe I should farm-out the paint job" I love the build-part of a project, but we're going to have to see how enthused I am feeling when it comes time to break out the paints.

OTOH I have something special planned for the traditionally-Chrome-parts...

Its a mold with a TON of critter-bot potential! You always come up with CRAZY good ideas (My 25% finished Blaster is all thanks to you), I'll be VERY interested to see how you execute yours :) 

As for the neck, I debated more than a few configurations, but eventually decided on this one, because, for me, it evoked the feeling of the G1 toy (one of my favorites as a kid) pretty closely.

I also love that the head has the crazy saw-tooth teeth, and the spines and what not, all of which are perfect for Sludge's not-a-real-dinosaur altmode. If you go for something a little more paelentologically accurate, that'd be awesome too!

I've got Generations by the workbench at all times ;) 

I'm using the G1 toys as my main reference point.

Yep, I'm borrowing Wheeljack's Expando-Reducto-Ray(Non-Blow-Upo-Edition) ;) 

While I would love to have 5 MP-scale Dinos, I'm not feeling THAT much enthusiasm yet ;) 

Personally I'm fine with Grimmy being a tad huger than his soldiers (Since when is Scale an issue?), and the crossover guys are pretty chunky, so they'll be a lot bigger than the *Autobots* for the most part, so I'm pretty pleased with how the whole party will look hanging out in the display case.

Besides, my main goal is to match-or-exceed whatever Hasbro might give us (but likely won't). Given the glut of Dinobots in Animated, I don't think we'll be getting any new saurians soon :/ And if we DID, I'd lay money that they'd all be deluxes (Not that we'd probably get more than one in a given line...). SOOOO, not-quite-voyager-sized seems reasonably huge to my thinking :) 

Bot mode will have to wait until YR's contribution arrives (I don't think the project will really "sell" itself in robot mode without it), and Color will wait until I actually paint it (Or Solrac333 does...) ;) 

Thanks for all the support guys, it's really helping to keep me motivated!

D/L

16. spoonman

spoonman Kitbasher extrordinaire!

Hot diggity-damn! This should be great! I had no idea you wielded a hobby knife?

17. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    Been Kitbashing since I was 12, did my first scratch build (Transforming deluxe-scale Brawl) in highschool, and painted more stuff than I can remember.

I'm rarely completely pleased with the results, so I've not posted much stuff online (I did a goodly number of MOTU customs I was really happy with and posted during the 200X relaunch...)

But hanging out with you all has gotten me all revved up again :) 

D/L

18. SMOG

Ah! Big as in BIG! Mega! A sensation!! :D 

:lol  Thanks for the kind words... I'll be interested to see how I execute mine too... someday. I'm that guy with too many ideas, and not enough projects!

But yeah... critters indeed! When I got the mold out of the package, I too was struck by the potential... besides Dinobots, this thing practically screams Insecticons, Sharkticons, Terrorcons... or even Spittor!

Well, the Dinosaur that Sludge was originally (loosely) based on has since been revamped and re-named... more than anything, he's just a generic Saurian type. But I just can't shake the feeling that his neck just needs even another half inch of length there to give him that recognizable "dinosaur" shape.

The head is a great fit absolutely. My main problem with the original BrachioZilla zoid was the awkward construction of the body, but the actual fixtures are great raw materials for Sludge! I may just steal that idea, though I'm more likely to use this SWTF mold for Snarl and/or Slag, since I'd want to go a bit bigger for Sludge.

Man, wouldn't we all KILL for one of those?! Don't like the scale of the latest Hasbro figures? Just hit 'em with the ray. Don't even have to wait for a crappy quality oversized Chinese KO version in day-glo colours! :D 

I hear ya. Still... might be worth stockpiling Vector Primes now just in case...

Even in Classics, scale is pretty screwy (Grimlock and Galvatron? Powerglide? Even the Seekers are kind of shrimpy), so we kind of have to find our own way... I think that's where some of the kitbashing impulse comes from... that sense of dissatisfaction with what Hasbro has given us, especially as related to relative scales.

You took the words out of my mouth! :D 

It's always a bit of a drag when you think of what could have been and what will probably just end up as Deluxes (which seem to get smaller every year). I understand that they want to have a good mix of characters at the various price points, but would it have been SO difficult to make all the Deluxes Autobot cars and other smallish bots, and use Voyager class for Dinbots, Seekers, Triple changers, etc... and then Ultra for Leaders? Wouldn't that have been the ideal "classics" line?

zmog

19. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    You're welcome! And you took the words out of mine :) 

That's the real fun of Kitbashing I guess, we can all have *exactly* the toy we want, given enough time, effort, and skill at any rate :) 

D/L

20. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Dude!!!! I love all the Zoid-y goodness in this. Can't wait to see the Alt mode. :thumb