Minor/Repaint: WIP Classics Roadbuster

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by ScoobyGoo, Nov 28, 2010.

1. ScoobyGoo

ScoobyGoo Well-Known Member

WIP Classics Roadbuster (Updated 14/01)

I know that there are loads of this guy out there, but thats generally because it looks awesome. I've had the Captain America crossover for quite a while and was really bored today, so I figured I'd see what I could come up with from the bots bits box and put a new spin on it.

Hands and the backpack cannon I think are from Energon Inferno, the clear part of the backpack is Energon Towlines energon weapon, the rest of the back pack is from the universe Treadbolt left over from my Shockwave custom, as was the helmet (with a neoshifter joint and green stuff to turn it into an actual head. Top it off with lego bits to attach the backpack.

Inferno's cannon still rotates when the thing next to it is rotated, which fits well with the little radar on the other side of the back pack(Roadbuster is that hardcore, he doesn't even need to look at the Decepticons to shoot em!). I do need to file the hinge down on it a bit so it can raise up a bit further when aiming straight ahead, shouldn't be too difficult

I still need to finish the sides of the head to make it look more Roadbustery, but I thought I'd throw it out for a critique/ideas to include in my next session working on this guy before giving him a lick of paint...be gentle! (Which should spur me on to get a 2nd custom actually finished :) ...)

(Updated with updated shots of the head)

Update 14/01/2011
    Finally managed to get round to giving this a lick of paint (though the backpack/weapons need doing still), so I thought I'd post an update.

Still waiting for the paint/sealant to cure, painted by hand with Citadel acrylics. Once I've got the weapons/backpack done I'll get him to a decent camera and include some alt mode pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  2. shinobi77

shinobi77 Fatbastard

Ebay:
    not a fan of this mold for roadbuster, especially since in IDW roadbuster is shown as a VERY large 6-8 wheeled APC type transport. Closer to CD Red Alert. The head you've chosen to use also scream Ironfist......

but, I do like the choices and the nice way you added the weapons. Makes for a good Ironfist. I am hoping to see the finished works on it and see what paints you use.

3. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

This mold is perfect for Roadbuster. Comic accuracy be damned.

4. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I disagree... if you look to G1 Roadbuster, who was basically a big, boxy, open cockpit jeep-thing, this Humvee mold is a FAR more appropriate choice for the character and alt mode. It was cool to see him all enormous and badass in IDW, but I don't think it redefined the character necessarily.

I bought this mold to be Roadbuster back when it first came out. I think I was even the one who made the suggestion to Kidbash for the upgrade kit, though I never did get my free kit. :lol 

I find that the Jetfire/Treadshot helmet is a bit large on him, and feels like it's not quite the right shape. I like the other weapons and gear you've chosen though.

Are there any other figures with heads just a bit smaller that would match Roadbuster better? I can't think of any off the top of my head... hmmm.

zmog

5. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    Somebody give this guy a g*damn free kit!!!! ;) 

6. SMOG

S'okay. Somebody hooked me up with a G1 Roadbuster repro head anyway, and that's the tough part. :) 

It may turn out to be a bit big, but the option combiner head on the upcoming PCC Combiner HeavyTread (aka "Brawl") looks like it might have a Roadbuster look to it..?

zmog

7. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Beardy Boyo!

Ebay:
    Nice work so far! Particularly on the cannons.

8. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    The PCC combiner heads are about Deluxe scale, no? If anything, I'd worry about it being small.

I've seen good quality work from Cashanova. Apparently he went n designed a Roadbuster head in-scale with Captain America and CD Scattorshot.

Roadbuster head mk1 by CALLOWAY75 on Shapeways

Head's only about $11, but the shop itself has a minimum order of $25~ There's a whole MCCA kit specifically designed for the Cap mold, but since you seem to have already got this guy armed, the $40 tag might make it a bit superfluous.

9. ScoobyGoo

Cheers guys, sorry for the lack of reply, been quite a busy boy lately.

Cheers for the shapeways links, but I'm in the process of sanding down the head and using green stuff to make it more Roadbuster-y. Looking at it now I think you guys might be right about it being slightly large, but I trying hard to get the shape right (his head was always too small for such a bruiser)

I should have some pics of the progress on the head in a day or (its taking a while 'cos I've started working on my first combiner!)

10. SMOG

Hard to say because the HeavyTread figure isn't out yet, but if you watch the online review with... uh... I forget who did the review now... anyway, it looks like the BIGGEST PCC combiner head I've ever seen. Plus that way, if you buy Heavy Tread, you can remove the head and still have a cool Scout tank TF... it's like a free head mold. :) 

I really should explore some of the shapeways stuff that's available out there. Some of it looks pretty sweet.

zmog

11. ScoobyGoo

Updated with shots of the mods so far to the head

12. SMOG

Ah, nice! You cut the top of the head down. He's looking a LOT better now! Good stuff! :) 

zmog

13. ScoobyGoo

Update (copied from update on 1st page)

Finally managed to get round to giving this a lick of paint (though the backpack/weapons need doing still), so I thought I'd post an update.

Still waiting for the paint/sealant to cure, painted by hand with Citadel acrylics. Once I've got the weapons/backpack done I'll get him to a decent camera and include some alt mode pics