Minor/Repaint: WIP - Classics Optimus Prime repaint

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by ^o^CORVUS^o^, Jan 15, 2012.

1. ^o^CORVUS^o^

^o^CORVUS^o^ You call on me to solve a crooked rhyme

Ebay:
    I've been sitting on these pics for days because I've mislaid my camera's Micro-USB cable. However, I had a portable card-reader I had completely forgotten about. Eat-it wayward cable!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've been meaning to do this custom for YEARS, and just kept putting it off. Well, its been put off no longer!

As you can see, I went with yellow eyes, to hearken back to the original toy. I added silver and a little gunmetal to the inside of the cab portion to make part of it stand out. He now has a silver pelvis and thighs, as well as silver head and shin-vents, and upper arms. His vehicle-mode grille and bumper are also silver, and I purposely left off the screw that held it to the torso so it can peg in and out as I see fit. The rifle is from the BTS toy Matrix of Leadership set, painted in gunmetal with some blue highlights.

He's not done quite yet. I have the repro-label classics set coming my way, as well as some extra silver faction symbols (I love the silver symbols), and I'll be adding those to it. I'm also fixing up a pair of old G1 Magnus smokestacks that I can snap on and off as well.

I'm also considering trying to get a good approximation of his red portions so I can touch-up the areas where the yellow (and a bit of the blue on the left shoulder) refused to completely budge, and I may use that red along the bottom portions of the forearm panels as well.

The colors I have used on this, thus far, are Krylon Silver, as well as Tamiya Silver, Lemon yellow, and Flat Blue. Citadel Color in Mithril Silver, Blood Red, Sunburst Yellow, Skull White, and Enchanted Blue. Lastly, I also used testors model-master acryls in Gunmetal, Dark Blue, and Deep Pearlescent Purple.

Comments are welcome :) 

2. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Cool. You should also paint the red hip joints.

3. ^o^CORVUS^o^

^o^CORVUS^o^ You call on me to solve a crooked rhyme

Ebay:
    I could do that, and I may down the road, but they really don't bother me very much. Plus, I'd get extra annoyed if the paint chipped or rubbed off *lol*

How do you personally usually prep joint areas?