Heavy/Scratch: WIP: Classics Menasor

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by fateastray, Feb 28, 2010.

1. fateastray

fateastray AnakRepublikMalukuSelatan

14 - 03 - 2010

Not really an update. Dynamic pose testing!!! PASSED

[​IMG]

11 - 03 - 2010

final update. I've painted the vehicle parts of Motormaster and Breakdown, they're still Ultra Magnus and Sunstreaker underneath, but I wanted to see how it looked altogether as Menasor. And it looks pretty good! One thing: Painting or even spraying any sort of white requires a LOT of patience. it needs thinner layers than any other colour. Also, UM is not a very fun figure to paint...

It coming along really cool, in my opinion. I've learned a lot, and with what I've learned I think I could make a Ptitvistator, although I don't have the funds available for such a project, since I don't do this for profit. It's quite the investment! T_T

I hope, someday, I'll see someone have a Menasor project which imitates my version, like many did frenzy_rumble's Menasor.

[​IMG]

06 - 03 - 2010 UPDATE 3

Working at the speed of light! I've made the connections for the torso and strengthened the connection at the knee. (double connector, one for horizontal pressure, one for vertical. Taking Engineering in college for one year gives an extra insight) Without a car at the shin, he can't support the weight.

One thing I'm bummed out about is that not all the kibble will fit inside the trailer =( ... The waist + upperlegs do. The arms do. The connectors for the lowerlegs (sort of) do, but I can't stow the head and the sword anywhere argh....

[​IMG]

06 - 03 - 2010 UPDATE 2

Finished one leg completely. Cut up the waist so that the torso fits pretty much flush. It's not connected yet, but I'm a man with a plan! Finally received my Classics Mirage. The connector for him and the one inside of him are finished. He's being painted right now. I'm planning a darker yellow for him, broken up with a lot of dark colouring.

One of his horns (on the head) snapped off. My own fault, I glued it on a PAINTED head. stripping the paint off the head, reattach the horn and paint it back up.

[​IMG]

03 - 03 - 2010 UPDATE 1

lower leg and head!

UPDATE 1_b

sword! Menasor needs a sword. I don't want to make the classic style sword, Frenzy_rumble has made one of those recently and I want to go in an entire different direction. My version of the sword is slightly inspired by Cloud's Buster Sword from Final Fantasy 7

I built it with residual parts from Primus and Ultra Magnus. And yes, very randomly ROTF Leader Prime's foot is stuck on there too. Very silly! At first, I rearranged the LED button to the side, but at disassembling it for painting and reassembling it I must've severed a connection somewhere. Tough luck..

The handly is Lego parts. (Lego ftw!)

28 - 02 - 2010

Hi all,

I thought it was about time I tried to tackle a combiner! Being inspired by Frenzy_Rumble's Classics Menasor and Petite_Vite (ptitvite)'s Devastator I started drawing out my own schemes.

I subscribed to seali_me's Youtube channel and studied his videos a lot.

It's going a lot better and faster than I thought. (I -LOVE- Lego and especially the LEGO ratcheting joints I got off some Lego Power Miners)

I think the part that will need a lot of thinking and Trial&Error is where the torso connects to the waist. I have some ideas, but my I ran out of Dremel blades, so I'm gonna have to wait a bit 'till I can get some.

I didn't, however, want to copy F_R's, although it's cool, but I wanted my own design, my own take on a classic.

The torso is RiD Ultra Magnus and the shoulder there is Cybertron Downshift, which I painted up already since all the mods on him were done. (connector, headswap) I wanted the shoulder airvent parts from the G1 toy translate into my custom, and UM's booster's work perfectly, no modding required. The price was that his head can't rotate, but I can live with that.

Lastly, some shout-outs! First, xaviercal; seeing him use the Lego Technic part on his Dragstrip helped me draw the entire thing out in one go. Autobotx23; After his Bruticus I wanted to make 'a' combiner, although I didn't, at that time, know which one. He's also my fan after 'that' alternators Rodimus :3 And last but not least to Allen G, aka Superquad7, who I can (and do) always turn to for advise, suggestions or quick feedback. He said I don't impose, but I do hahah.

I'm fully confident I can pull this off. I don't know how often this thread will be updated, I can only work on this in the weekends, because my workspace is my old bedroom at my parents' place (*HIJACKED!!*)

Thanks for looking.

Attached Files:

2. TFCustoms

TFCustoms Banned

Ebay:
    Nice man! I love it so far.

3. doomtron

doomtron seeker

News Credits:
    cool

4. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Actually, I'm really curious to see what you did to RID Magnus to get Motormaster out of him! I was kind of thinking about the same thing. So far I'm really liking the torso section, and the way the head is recessed in the vents.

The only thing I'm not crazy about is the way that the cars pretty much just become hood ornaments for his pre-built shoulders, but then, that's just my "perfect transformation" bias showing again. :) 

zmog

5. deaculpa

deaculpa Seven Star Fist

News Credits:
    looks sweet, more photos!

6. fateastray

@TFCustoms, Doomtron, Deaculpa: Thanks, guys, I'm very enthusiastic about this. =]

@SMOG: I haven't yet thought about modifications to RiD UM to make him look like MotorMaster, only about modifying him to carry all the weight from the shoulders. UM's head can already pass for MM. We'll see. He's gonna keep the long legs. I removed the top 'floor' / wings from UM, since they were on those vents. Seeing as the top is now open on the trailer, I hope I can somehow fit all the Menasor kibble in there.

I originally wanted to use the entire cars as upperarms and attach Primus' forearms on them, but I couldn't find a decent way to attach 'em to Dead End.

Still, I'm building him for the combined picture, a KickAss Menasor. Of course, I don't want a big robot with cars clicked onto them, but like so it looks best. Comprimise Comprimise!~

More photo's next week, I think =)

7. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

congratulations on your first big project man! looking forward to more!

8. fateastray

Thanks, eisen. Yea, it's time to 'grow up'. I can't do this frequently, because collecting everything I need is e-x-p-e-n-s-i-v-e. 120 euros so far =( And I'm not even selling.

If I can make another one, I'd sell it, but I'd have to build up decent portfolio first. I hate investments.

9. deaculpa

deaculpa Seven Star Fist

News Credits:
    120 euros? I would be very happy if that's all I had spent on making my gestalt. :)  I've bought over 10 leader/ voyager class figs and at least 7 boxes of new zoids :p ...and I'm not done either. there needs to be a how-to thread on how to build on the cheap!

10. fateastray

10 Transformers for only ONE gestalt? o_O  He's like 10 ft tall or something? In perspective, I'm going pretty cheap, then..

2nd hand Primus: 55 Euro
    2nd hand Rid UM: 30 Euro
    2nd hand U Sunstreaker: 7 Euro
    2nd Hand C Downshift: 10
    2nd Hand Mirage: 15 (paid for, not yet received, I think I got screwed over)
    My old Sunstreaker: doesn't count
    Lego Power Miners Set: 15 Euro

Sums up to: 132 Euro..

Oh...

I used a lot of Lego's from when I was a kid. My parents shouldn't find out. I'm going to use the Ball Joints from the Lego Miners for the ankles, if they're strong enough, otherwise I still have a pair of Ratchet joints, but that's silly to use for his feet.

I wish I had a Unicron, but I'm not shelling out 65 bucks just for his upperlegs. Primus' upper-legs are a little short, so I might end up building them from Lego's too and put random robot-plating on them to cover up.

Right now, I'm about 200 kilometers away from my custom and can't touch it 'till friday. I'm bored out of my mind (Even though I have a sh*t ton of homework =/)

11. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I really like seeing all the different perspectives and takes on customs..and you sir, are starting out with something fantastic....

12. fateastray

Thank you, encline. I believe I read somewhere you once made a ptitvistator, but I can't find it.

13. fateastray

03 - 03 - 2010 UPDATE 1

lower leg and head!
    [​IMG]

14. KRZTFR

KRZTFR Well-Known Member

I had this same idea but I thought about the scale & it wouldn't have turned out that much taller then RID Magnus originally was so I didn't try it but the feet looks good

15. fateastray

Yeah, but that's just because UM has freakishly long legs....When I look at the cartoon, Motormaster isn't all that much shorter than Menasor, in the TF-sequence anyway....

16. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm really interested to see how this turns out :thumb 

17. Altitron

Altitron Commercial Artist

Ebay:
    Nice! You're using just about the same recipe for this combiner that I am. I'm looking forward to seeing your work. :) 

- Alty

18. fateastray

@SQ7: So am I!

@Altitron. Cool. I regret the combiner-system for the lower legs will add heavily to the kibble. But still, I hope I can somehow store all the Menasor parts in Motormaster's Trailerpiece.

19. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Looking kickass so far man! The RiD Ultra Magnus is a great fit for both Menasor and Motormaster, very, very nice touch right there. I'm loving the way the head and legs look as well, absolutely perfect, and it's refreshing to not see yet another supreme Starscream head. :lol  Can't wait to see this thing finished!

20. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

very nice update dude!