Heavy/Scratch: WIP Classics G1 Getaway

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by inturnmike, Feb 26, 2011.

1. inturnmike

inturnmike Well-Known Member

Classics G1 Getaway -Complete!!!

Hello all!

This is my first actual heavy/scratch custom, so any and all constructive comments will be accepted! G1 Powermaster Getaway has always been one of my favorite TFs, so I decided to try and re-create him using parts from Generations Drift and Blurr.

The first thing I thought about was that he needed to have his shoulder panels rotate outwards, like Getaway's do. Drift can alomst do this without help, but the shoulders are too close to his chest. So, I cut the ball joint receptacles from Blurr and glued them in.

Secondly, I needed to make his waist rotate so that his leg formation (and transformation) were the same as Getaway's. I borrowed an idea from Jarrod's Classics Turbomaster Boss to do that. I sawed him in half, just above the white waist shield. Then, I cut a smaller piece of plastic to fit up inside his upper torso..drilled a small hole in it. I also drilled a small hole into the lower waist...then inserted a pin I pulled out from a hood panel of Blurr. Glued it up, and there we go.

Thirdly, I wanted to make the windshield pivot 180 degrees so it would face downward. I pulled the pins out of the current plastic arm holding attaching it. Then I used one of Blurr's ball joint/arms that attaches the doors, filing and gluing the receptacle to the underside of the clear plastic "glass".

Fourth(ly?), I chopped off Drift's small brown feet (again, like Jarrod did for Boss), flipped them around and glued them back in, as seen. It looks more like Getaway's feet.

Lastly, I cut out about 2 inches from the middle of Blurr's gun, then glued the tip of it back onto the main body of the gun. Then filed down the tip to look more like Getaway's gun.

UPDATE: I have completed G1 Getaway!!!! Here are the updated pics (minus the gap that there was before). Also, completed painting!...Lastly, I added a bonus...G1 Rev! He hs from PCC Leadfoot. Please let me know what you think! This guy has been a pain in the ass! LOL Does anyone know where I can go to get custom stickers made to match his G1 stuff, but in Drift's size? That would finish him off. I emailed Reprolabels but they said they are not taking comissions at this time. Thanks!

Thank you for all of your input!

-Mike

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  2. darthdevious

darthdevious Destroyer of Worlds

This will be awesome once completed, great work so far, very creative

3. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    If you plan to keep the transformation and mods as they are, your best bet might be to pick up some thin sheet styrene and cover the gaps. Try to recreate a smooth transition between the front end of the car and the door and roof. Then carefully cut the lines for transformation. It's either that or you'll have to remove that mod and think of a better way to incorporate it into the original body and transformation.

I really like this idea and what you'd done here looks great so far! Good luck and I'll keep an eye out on this--keep it up!

4. Voidsign

Voidsign Well-Known Member

It's looking really good.
    Getaway was one of my Fave G1 Transformers.
    I'm gunna be keeping an eye on this to see how it goes.
    Keep it up.

-VS-

5. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] BATTLE GAIA!

News Credits:
    Wow. Keep it up!

6. inturnmike

Thank you for the kind words and encouragement, guys! :)  I have seen so many great customs on here...I was hoping not to disappoint. I will look into the sheet styrene idea some more and see what can be done with it. Anyone else have any thoughts about that? If I can't get that to work (or look right), I may still go with the torso-cut thing. If I can get a precisely measured section cut out, I think the tabs on the door will line up to snap into the hood section again. And it may do well because it should hide behind the chest/windshield, I think. Anyway, please let me know if you guys have more idaes. Thank you!

7. MASON2345

MASON2345 Well-Known Member

Looking really good. I would advise not cutting the entire centimeter off the top half. that could make for a very lop sided top to bottom half ratio. I would maybe go with a little of both halves of the torso. What are your plans for the head?

8. inturnmike

I do plan to do a head mod...somehow. I need to put a little face shiled on and paint him yellow and brown to match the G1 face. Not sure if I want to file the "ear-wing things" off and then put ones on that go straight vertical, or just leave them and paint them brown. Any thoughts? Or is there another TF's head out there that would be closer to it and make modding it easier? :)  I do like that he already has the little paint app on his forehead that already looks similar to G1's little sensor there.

9. inturnmike

Completed! (See original post for updates...)

10. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    It looks great! Very nice work, my friend! How did you solve the shoulders and the gap you had before? It looks like you came up with a better way to work it out. As for the stickers, maybe you can email Reprolabels and have them do a custom set for you.

11. inturnmike

Hi there! Actually, I emailed them and they said they are not taking requests like that currently. Though, Getaway IS part of the list of scans they wanted in an email they sent out recently....Maybe if someone send them the scans, they can make a set though?! As for that gap, I finally ended up cutting a few mm's worth of his chest out and then re-glued the two remaining sections back together. I put some hardening putty on the inside to fill it up and solidify it. The hardest thing to do as the stupid ball joint for the windshield...that kept falling off. or breaking. But it's good to go now...

12. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    Glad you got it looking smooth, man! If you want to go with decals instead of stickers, hit up my bud, Earl. He does great custom decals. Maybe you can have him do some for you, if he's not too busy. Not sure what he would charge though. Here's a link to his profile here: autobotx23's Profile - TFW2005 - The 2005 Boards

13. Cycrolus

Cycrolus Herald of Primus

Ebay:
    Very awesome.

14. Bruticus82

Bruticus82 Well-Known Member

Fantastic job!

15. skibones

skibones Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I love it..

16. phoenixliger

phoenixliger Ogre

Ebay:
    great work.

17. Shadowbreaker

Shadowbreaker \/ /\

News Credits:
    Whoa, that's so cool! :thumb 

Very creative.

18. inturnmike

Thanks, guys! Actually, Autobotx23 is in my city, so I hope to meet up with him and see about decals as well..That will break up the almost all white-ness of him! :) 

19. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] BATTLE GAIA!

News Credits:
    Yes! So nicely done! I love the details, and the fact it looks just like the original makes it even more cooler.

20. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Beardy Boyo!

Ebay:
    Badass!