Minor/Repaint: Wip Classic Devastator g1 style: 85% done!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Ghilbert, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Ghilbert

Ghilbert Active Member

Wip Classic Devastator g1 style: almost done!

Hi, This is my first post on this board and this is my first custom. I don't like the original look of Classic Devastator and i have decided to fix this. First of all, Devastator HAVE TO be fomed from Six Constructicons (not FIVE like Energon mold), and all six of them MUST BE different in a way or another. I saw Ptivite awesome Devastator mod, but i don't have the skill and time to attemp to make one of my own, so i have decided for a different approach ^_^. . I was inspired by Rodimus VTS attempt, and personalized it in my way. I have bought 2 classic devastator set, an energon demolisher and a KO G1 devastator and these are the results so far.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see, even a light mod of mixmaster and Bonecrhur result in a Big Improvement on the toy.
    Devastator can still separate and transform into six Constructicons.
    About the mod;
    -I decided mantain a "futuristic" look for Mixmaster, so i simply add Ko cement barrel and part of the body to achieve this results and i think that the result was good.
    -About bonecrusher i still have to remove the wheels(i have to buy a new solder for this task-) and the tracks works via a remove and attack feature from vehicle to robot mode, but for me is it ok. I still have to decide what to do with the claw; Bonecrusher is a little short, so to replace it with a prpoper han will result in a misproportioned limb; probably i will leave the claw or i will try to replace it with some built in weapon (maybe a flamer or something Devastator appropriate :)  ).
    -About Hook: i have to add an hand, but i still have to find a good one.
    -Devastator head is removable and use magnets to hold is position
    -The same method was used for the "pelvis shield" section
    -Chestplace have a peg to plug in scavenegr breast hole.

Nothing very difficult, i hope that you will like it.

I still have to add some details and stickers and Devastator will be complete!

Bye

Ps forgive my bad english, i'm italian ^_^

Attached Files:

2. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That looks really nice, he just looks like with Demolishor, there is a little too much wieght on the back. As long as he's stable and stands up though, who cares. Very nice job.

3. Ghilbert

Ghilbert Active Member

Yep, Denolisher make it a little "back heavy" but due to the very sturdy hip locking mechanism he doesn't need any support to stand up on his own ^_^. I like the bulkiness demolisher add to the figure, it feel very "devastator" to me ^_^. And of course all the missile on his back granted him a lot of firepower :D 

bye

4. bellyboy

bellyboy working working working

News Credits:
    very nice
    looks awsome

5. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    Any mod where you can keep the BIG Decepticon logo on it is a surefire win. Excellent!

6. gioga81

gioga81 New Member

Very nice!

7. aurascope

aurascope Kitbash Resource Indexer

Ebay:
  8. Ghilbert

Ghilbert Active Member

I fear that masterpiece hands are a little too big for devy, i have to check it but thanks for the suggestion. In addiction i still have to decide if bonecrushers arm will have a proper hand or if i will left the original "claw" or if i will use some type of arm mounted weapon. Bonecrusher arm is a biit too short compared with Hook one. If i attack an hand to the end of both the arms it will result in a disproportion and i want to avoid this. Suggestions?
    About long haul you don't need to mod anything to combine it. You only need to use is hands to "grab" the peg on scavenger leg and "unfold" it onto Devastator back ^_^

Bye

9. fakebusker83

fakebusker83 Radicon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey Ghilbert,

I love what you are doing. I had planned to do something similar, but at this day and age it's impossible to find a classics devastator anymore without an impossible price tag.

Just some suggestions/queries:

Can Scrapper (i'd say the right leg) be flipped upside down? I thought having a 'shovel foot' would make it a whole lot more G1 accurate. You are still using the 'energon' feet for it right?

Regarding his right fist, how about reverting back to the original KO's fists? Otherwise, an alternative could be to use those Gundam 1:100 scale fists if you have any floating around. It's so hard to find good fists nowadays.

I was mulling over slicing into my KO Devy, and was wondering if a light mod could be done to his head. It's certainly has enough space at the back, and my theory was to mount the led, and use a tiny dremel to cut away the current eyes, replacing them with clear plastic sheet pieces or squeezing clear epoxy into them. Since you're so far into the project already, I'd love to see someone who could make this a reality. :) 

Lotsa back kibble but i don't mind; he is a construction vehicle gestalt after all...extra bulk adds character. The huge Decepticon logo at the back was a great plus.

Are you going to paint it in the end? There is too much detail on this (even on the KO pieces) for it to be left unpainted. All the best!

10. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I wonder if swapping hook down to the leg position next to mixmaster would help your proportions out. lengths of the arms, as well as a more even distribution of the bulk (mixmaster's leg is a lot skinnier than the other).

11. Tom_Servo

Tom_Servo Well-read chick magnet

Ebay:
    I like your concept and execution here, but if you feel the need to graft a dump truck onto his back, the original might be less intrusive. The head and chest plate looks great on there! Real hands would be great on there.

12. DJCHARTERS

DJCHARTERS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    this is awsome, ive done a similar bash just not as involved. still cost me quite a bit too buy two devastors so that he would be all green and purple. ive always thought this figure had tons of potential. its the original classics devastator head i dont like its look too alien for me. the mold suits the g1 devastaor head much better

13. Ghilbert

Ghilbert Active Member

Yeah. I have tried to reverse "Scrapper" but doing so requires an extensive mod because an all new joints is required, and i lack the capabilities to do this right now. I have to wait till Classic Bruticus come here and see if i can adap one of joint on Devastator (Im planning to simply add a G1 chest plate to Bruticus too and to change his "clones" limbs with more appropiate ones ^_^). In addiction the different in lenght between the legs(Scrapper without his energon feet is a bit too short) may lay to some stability problem. i have to check this anyways. I agree with you, if i will able to reverse scrapper the aesthetics will improve a bit :thumbs2: 
    Original KO fist are too poor compared with the rest of the mold, 1/100 Gundam hands are good but a little to small. I have a couple of candidate now, an 1/60 articulated God Gundam hand and a 1/48 recasted Yamato Valkirye hand. I have to experimet a bit :wink: 
    I'd love to do this mod but unfortunately KO plastic is so soft that using a Dremel will melt it ruin the head.
    I'm planning to add some painting details, but not to do an extensive repaint due to lack of time. I already have a lot of miniatures to paint on my desk, you know :wink: 

Yes but Devastator legs have to be Scrapper and Mixmaster since G1 and i feel that to look more geeone this is the best solution ^_^.

The original truck is a little too small and not add bulkiness and firepower to Devastator, and it doesn't have the big Decepticon logo on his back too :) 
    In addiction you have to mod Scavenger to be able add the original g1 truck, instead energon demolisher connects on devastator body on his own, without any modifications ^_^.
    Yeah, Energon head it's not very bad on his own, but it just doesn't feel right for this mold. As soon as i decided to involve myself on this task, i decided to replace it with the original one ^_^

Bye

14. Sabrina_Ng

Sabrina_Ng La Femme Fatale

Ebay:
    Oh hey! This is a refreshing take on devastator! Hope it hits 100% soon!!!

15. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    Amazing,I was just sitting here looking at my Classics Devs trying to figure out how to get Long Haul incorporated into and how to turn one of the cranes into Mixmaster,already got an idea on how to turn the other loader into Bonecrusher.

16. Ghilbert

Ghilbert Active Member

Ok, later i will post some pictures in order to show how to combine long haul with scrapper the way i do with my devastator ^_^, so if you like my soluction you can use that on your devvy too ^_^. As i already have told to attach Long haul to Scrapper you don't need any mod and it doesn't limit the little pelvis mobility that devastator have ^_^. For Bonecrusher due to transformation and posability in arm form there are two possibilities;
    -you can use tracks from Bruticus maximus tanks to replace front wheels on the loader, but personally i don't like the aestetichs of the arm mode with this soluction.
    -other soluction is to use Ko devvy treads and swap them from the modes, in order to have always the best aestetichs in all 3 modes. I decided this soluction and later i will post pictures of bonecrusher individual modes too ^_^.

Attached Files:

17. Ghilbert

Ghilbert Active Member

Hi, as i promised here are the updates ^_^

First of all in these pictures you can see the right way to attach Demolisher/Long Haul to Devastator body;
    As you can see this is very simple and the connection is very stable
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here are bonecrusher vehicle mode without the weels and with the tracks in the right position
    [​IMG]

and mixmaster vehicle too

[​IMG]

on mixmaster i plan to add some details to hide the big gap visible from the side... i have yet to decide how is the best effective way to do this ^_^
    About the hands i have found good candiidate in 1/48 recasted Yamato gbp hands, but i still have to decide if i will leave the claw for the left arm, or use a real fist. As i told in the beginning i was planning to use the claw, but it d0oens't suit devastator too weel

Bye

18. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

have you considered the possiblity of kitbashing a backhoe limb into a dump truck for long haul?

other then salvagin the appropriate parts from a g1 or knockoff long haul figure and making the appropriate mods to the back hoe figures back and lower legs it can be donei bet

19. Ghilbert

Ghilbert Active Member

Sorry, i haven't understand :confused: 

What do you mean?

Bye

20. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    I love everything you have done,but I think the Cement drum and the half tracks should be bigger on Bonecrusher and Mixmaster,thats why I found approximately the same size vehicles to raid the pieces from for mine.