Minor/Repaint: WIP Black Tracks Classics

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by CZ Hazard, May 31, 2012.

1. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well, this was my first attempt to dye a figure rather than going with my tried and tested spray paint method. I love the finish I get with sprays, but even with base coating and prep-work (sanding down etc...), I find paint rub is inevitable.

I spent a few hours experimenting with the dye at various temparatures with various amount of time with the toy in the dye, I followed the Redline tutorial but there were so many conflicting guides, it was more of a starting point to finding my own method.
    First things first: IF YOU ATTEMPT TO DYE, USE VENTILATION AND WEAR A PROPER MASK.
    Acetone and RIT dye are not meant to be breathed in, and if you heat them, they will go airborne and fuck you up. I've been suffering for a few days now, and it seems to be out of my system.

As with all customs, prep work is everything. Disassemble, clean, remove paint etc...
    I used RIT dye for the black which went in really well (heat to 180, remove from heat, fully submerge figure, check very thirty seconds or so, rinse in cold water when finished. If not colour you want, re-heat water and repeat steps), I was happy with that.
    I used RIT dye for the grey parts. I wasn't happy with that. It went too dark after I'd removed from the dye and rinsed, the head stayed lighter but any defect on the figure or area where paint had been seems to attract more dye meaning darker colouration.
    Thankfully, I did two of these as I was working on them, and didn't dye the second lot of parts grey, opting for a spray finish for comparisons. That's drying along with the roof which was sprayed (can't dye without colouring windows too) and I'll post pictures tomorrow.

Anyway, WIP Black Tracks attempt 1...

[​IMG]

He looks very odd without his chest windshield...

[​IMG]
    The black went in very well.

...I expect attempt 2 to look better, and will hit attempt #3 next week.

Attached Files:

2. azdragon58

azdragon58 Well-Known Member

Thats the same method I use when I dye figures... Works pretty good like that... Like the way he is coming along...

3. CZ Hazard

News Credits:
    New, much better images up on first post, shame I can't change the thumbnail.

99% finished, need the right colour blue for the face in tribute to Diaclone. Next week I will finish attempt #2 which has I think nicer grays, and that one will have a gold face detail to match Lucky Draw Black Tracks (pictured).

4. chansformers

chansformers butcher of the bots

News Credits:
    not bad looking so far.
    i like how the dye tuerned the stock hood flames into almost a kind of silver ghost flames effect now!

5. joevill

joevill Well-Known Member

Awesome good job Sid!

6. CZ Hazard

News Credits:
    Good eyes sir!

Yeah, totally unexpected but a happy accident. I have this mold seven times now, but on all the others I don't have the Hasbro Tracks flame markings, so I am quite happy to leave this as it is. I don't have the sticker on my Lucky Draw Black Tracks so I wasn't going to repro this one either.

Roof was hand painted with gloss to match the body after careful masking and black primer base coat.

7. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    As I said in the UK thread: the dyeing turned out really well. Looking good and can't wait to see the finished product!!

8. CZ Hazard

News Credits:
    I have a finished version of this fella on ebay, so if you wanna see the finished product, make with the clicky click.

My third attempt was the best, IMO, and that is the one I am selling. I went with the gold face paint to make it look more like the LD Black Tracks and less like the scarce Diaclone.