Minor/Repaint: WIP Armada Wheeljack to Classics Wheeljack

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Demonss, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Demonss

Demonss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey Everyone!

While I STILL wait for parts for Defensor to arrive I decided I was bored and wanted a classics Wheeljack.

Jumping right in without thinking, in the quest to get more articulation I cut off one of Wheeljack's legs to see if could add a ball joint. After really assessing the situation I realized my modification would allow left and right movement and take away the forward and back..
    CRAP!

SO I picked up a junker air raid (to fix another energon combiner) and canabalized his arm and turned it into a leg! (See pics attached).

Doing so I've managed to actually tighten up the fender portion of the car when in car mode. I've left the leg detachable so it can A) rotate 360 and b) give me something else so I dont' snap that joint trying to unlock that bumper section of the car.

I've only done one leg so far but feel it has worked out well! I've also filled his chest in and scraped off all decepticon and autobot logos (He is gonna look G1ish when I'm done!).

Whatcha think?

Comments and feedback are appreciated!!

Attached Files:

2. shinobi77

shinobi77 Fatbastard

Ebay:
    hafta wait and see how this looks when done, the only thing I'd worry about (don't have him on had to compare) is size difference.

Do hafta give you props on the TMNT look though, that's epic win!!

3. Demonss

News Credits:
    Thanks!
    I already went ahead and ordered a second wheeljack and a metal head Turtle to make Turtlejack! lol

I'll have to take some size comparison pics tonight.. They seem to be relatively close in size..
    Look for more pics around 6pm (eastern!)

4. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Nice leg mod there. You really don't waste time with the parts I send you, do you?

I always thought this figure was pretty cool except for the lack of articulation. Good luck making my dreams come true :D 

5. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

The fact that this figure had such limited articulation has bothered me for years, especially since it's the only bad thing about him. Is there any way you can give a bit more detail as to how you modded the leg? I would love to add some more hip, neck and better knee articulation to Armada Wheeljack.

There are many figures in the armada line who would have been absolutely phenomenal if they had more articulation. Wheeljack is certainly one of them.

As for making him into a more G1 WJ, which head are you planning to use for him, E Downshift or Cyb Downshift?

6. Demonss

News Credits:
    Right now I've got a repro E Downshift head on it's way, and I've got a TFTM Big Daddy hanging out in my closet. I'm going to compare and see which I like for. I'm hoping I'll get some more neck/head articulation out of him. the Knee i'm leaving as it is (It's not too bad as long as he's got left and right movement of the leg).

Since I haven't done the second leg yet I'll be happy to make a tutorial of that (I'll post it somewhere in this thread).
    I'll PM you so you know to check back. :)  It was pretty easy.
    And certainly the method I used could be done a bunch of different ways, but I used what junker I had in front of me so there's probably something already out there that needs LESS work to make the leg.

I'd be interested in seeing if I could do anything with some waist articulation, this might take some planning though and I can't guarantee that'll happen. :) 

7. Demonss

News Credits:
  8. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
    Very cool. I love this toy. I'd love to see him updated for the Classics/Universe line one day.

If I were to ever get into customizing Transformers, Armada Wheeljack would be first on my list. I've always wanted to paint him white, in the colours we briefly see him in during the brief flashbacks with him and Hot Shot on Cybertron. When I was younger, seeing those flashbacks made me tear up a little because Wheeljack was once one of the good guys, but chose to become a Decepticon. :lol 

Wheeljack's been my favourite and most memorable character across all Transformers series. I can't wait to see this custom when it's complete. I'm sure you'll do a great job!

9. Demonss

News Credits:
    Thanks man!
    I hope I can do a good job, he's really goign to be my first major dive into repainting a transformer, and i've been doing TONS of reading online to try to make every possible thing come out as best as possible!