Minor/Repaint: WIP alt. Tracks

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by fateastray, Jun 30, 2009.

1. fateastray

fateastray AnakRepublikMalukuSelatan

Hi! This is my first submission to the Radicons Customs. I had a small thread in the Radicons Discussions area, but hXcpunk23 recommended I made a thread here.

I got myself a -very- cheap alternators Tracks (no knockoff) And decided I wanted to do a repaint. So far, I only did small stuff, like paint pinstripes and practise some with drybrushing. I wanted to put that practise to a use, so I started painting Tracks.

This is it so far. and it's far from finished of course. All the blue will become not-blue (haha) and I also plan on doing the interior, making it into a brown leather. Very classy. I haven't decided on how the robot-mode will be painted exactll, but I'll figure it out as soon as all the alt.parts are through.
    This is my first 'full'-repaint, and I'm satisfied with where it's heading.

Okay, I wanna post a picture of what I got so far. Hold in mind, I'm not at all experienced with painting, I started, like, 2 weeks ago...

I also plan on doing the interior. I also gotta scrape some of the pinstriping away so it's all the same thickness etc..

Anyway, this is it so far. This is my first 'big' repaint blah.

edit: the colours of the picture don't really do it much justice, but it was dark and I had to use the flash on my phone. I'll get a new pic later today.

and MAN! I'm running out of black, and I can't buy a new can, because my wallet got f*cken stolen!! damn pickpockets at the trainstation! Can't even buy food T_T

EDIT: This guy's name is now Dragshift. Courtesy of Autobot-Girl. I'm gonna sand him down me-thinks and redo tons of it (I've been wanting to do this for weeks. *procrastinator*!)

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2009
  2. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    That looks good to be one of your first repaints. Now that you're showing some WIP stuff, why not create a thread over in "Minor Mods & Repaints" so you can get some feedback on it (some people may not check on it here and since you're showing some pics, maybe you'll gain more tips and help that way also). Overall though, it's looking good, man.

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    hXcpunk23 was correct, and I merged the posts regarding your project in the Radicons General Discussion area into this thread as well. :)  (Radicons General Discussion = posting ideas surrounding things; Radicons Customs Threads = the project threads themselves :) )

So far, your paint work is looking great. Keep up the good work :thumb 

4. fateastray

Thanks, guys!

It's a hassle painting the insides of the wheelwells, because I'm too afraid to punch out the wheels. Still kinda bummed that I smudged some of the copper-ish paint on the windscreens, but I hope that'll come of with some of the medical-alcohol I have at my folks' home.

5. fateastray

Added a new pic, which does the project more justice. Oh, and those are coffee stained drapes as a background (H)

edit: added 2 more, @ opening-post.

Attached Files:

6. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Just follow the pin removal tutorial that we have in our resources section, and you'll be fine. The first time can be rough just having the jitters, but once you've done it a few times it's simply just waiting for that pin to come out :) 

7. fateastray

I guess. I'll save that part up for the end, though, maybe practise on old toys. I'd like some feedback on the design and I need a new name. Suggestions are always welcome.

Keep in mind, I'm a beginner, can't do true fire or any of that jazz, I was like 'OMG I can't believe I made these flames' earlier on. =P

8. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm liking what you got going so far. Looking forward to the fin :thumb 

Be careful with the Vette wheels. they are pinned in from the rear of the wheel unlike all the other Alts (they're pinned in from the front) In essence though, they should be easier to remove over the other Alts. The pins that hold the wheels on are knurled instead of ribbed....you can almost pull the wheels off by hand, but be careful not to damage the center hubs, plus to reinstall them, you pretty much have to take apart the whole leg section to get to the pins for the front wheels.

As for a name?...I'm drawing a blank right now....usually what I do when I make up characters, is I think of what the traits of the character are/would be, and try and use that somehow, or even do a synonym search for the traits....that ususally brings up some cool words that could be used for a name.

9. fateastray

Alright, first post updated with picture of robot mode. I liked the torso of Tracks, so that's pretty much staying the same. All that remains, imo, is fix the smudging etc.

I wanted to paint the interior brown, like a brown leather, but I'm not sure if I feel like going through the hassle...

Oh, and for a name, I was thinking of cinder. (NOT cinderella -_-)

Wikipedia defenition:

A cinder is a pyroclastic material. Cinders are extrusive igneous rocks.

10. fateastray

Uh, since my last update there have only been like 10 views..Since yesterday.. =/

what's a guy gotta do to make a topic more interesting....I did a lot of work on a Prowl, but if nobody looks, I'm not bothering to post. Come on! give me some feedback!

edit: another robo-pic + teaser for my project 'Outlaw'

Attached Files:

11. Superquad7

News Credits:
    As far as traffic goes, you just gotta realize that Radicons is HEAVILY trafficed. Don't fret on the views/post count. Just keep posting your work as well as posting in others' threads :wink: 

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  12. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

really digging the black and gold vibe on this guy. that colorscheme is next in line to red and black in my list of colors that can't go wrong. :thumb 

13. fateastray

lol you replied. =D Thanks for the feedback. And yes, the coal black + copper works so good, I'm tempted to use this scheme for every project in the future.

14. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

man, i have the tendency to label any metallic color that's not silvery as "gold" :S

15. fateastray

This guy's name is now Dragshift. Courtesy of Autobot-Girl. I'm gonna sand him down me-thinks and redo tons of it (I've been wanting to do this for weeks. *procrastinator*!)