Customs: Winter and painting

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Fishdirt, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So I was preparing to detail painting on a head tonight. I brushed on some paint and decided I didn't like the consistency. So I cleaned it off with water (this is on a head with a base coat of fusion black).

After drying it I went down into the basement to spray another coat of black because I noticed some bare spots. The basement, of course, is dry due to winter air and it didn't feel that cold. Maybe 50.

After I sprayed I let it set a while. I came back to get it and it looked like the plastic melted. Luckily it was a cast but because, logically, I knew it couldn't be melted I checked and sure enough it was how the paint applied. It looked like a gooey melting face. Right now I hit it with "easy off" so it'll get another shot later.

My question is what do you guys in winter strong areas do as far as painting during the snowy months? I don't have many options myself. The basement or the front porch. I am considering a portable heater for the basement but I'm not sure if this will work. Anyway, any tips or how you do it stories would be great.

2. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

Yea a portable heater or maybe a mini oven could do the trick.
    Then again these are just thoughts and might not work X_X.

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    With sprays, one thing I've done before is spray outside (where I spray paint anyways), but immediately bring it into the house for it to dry. It usually works pretty well, but not as well as doing the same thing in warmer weather of course.

Just to note, I live in the southeastern US, so "cold" is 17-20 F. I know quite for a few of you, that's summer time :lol 

4. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I live in PA and I usually spray paint outdoors during the spring, summer, and fall. I actually primed some pieces on Friday as it wasn't as cold and it was a success. During the winter, I usually avoid spray painting, but if I have to, I'll spray paint indoors. Nothing heavy. Just enough to prime the figure.